• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Broke!

gear jammer

Look what happened on my way to work this morning.

2011-08-18073505.jpg

Needless to say I didn't make it in. At least it didn't happen out on the trail.
I've got a forged U-bolt style yoke coming so this won't happen again.

(maybe I should drive it nicer:haha:)

What you can't see in that pic is the busted traction bar mount, I guess I still have a lot to learn about welding.:rolleyes:

I down shifted pretty hard when it let go too.:haha:

Look what happened on my way to work this morning.

Needless to say I didn't make it in. At least it didn't happen out on the trail.
I've got a forged U-bolt style yoke coming so this won't happen again.

(maybe I should drive it nicer:haha:)

"Needless to say you didn't make it" Why not? You got another drive axle. Hell, I had that happen on I5. Coasted to the side, lifted the axle up towards the tub, wired it there with a coat hanger, and kept on going in 4x mode. Driving with a Detroit up front is a little interesting.

My front drive line is in the back seat, because of a Detroit in the front, and a drive line balance issue.
The tools were at home too.:mad:

My front drive line is in the back seat, because of a Detroit in the front, and a drive line balance issue.
The tools were at home too.:mad:
You just qualified for a Dumbass award. Because that u-joint in the back didn't just give up. It was wobbling for a while. And that wobble was a vibration.

The vibration was caused by the front drive line dip ****. That's why I pulled it, no front drive line, no vibration.:flipoff:

I guess i should have added that the previous owner thought it would be a good idea to put a full detroit in the front axle of a jeep that doesn't have hubs.

Last edited:
I guess i should have added that the previous owner thought it would be a good idea to put a full detroit in the front axle of a jeep that doesn't have hubs.

No probs with a Detroit up front without hubs. It acts like an open diff in 2wd except for the drive shaft rotation. The only prob is the unbalanced drive shaft.

"Needless to say you didn't make it" Why not? You got another drive axle. Hell, I had that happen on I5. Coasted to the side, lifted the axle up towards the tub, wired it there with a coat hanger, and kept on going in 4x mode. Driving with a Detroit up front is a little interesting.

same here! tied up the dline put her in 4hi and got my ass off the freeway and to a parts store! :haha: you should've been feeling some sort of vibes for a time prior to breakage.... but what do i know:redneck:

Man your lucky my dad did the same thing in his jeep and ripped the tcase apart on the highway.. He felt like his ujoints was going out
And heading to my house before wheeling to replace them and on the 410 to Bonney lake kaboom!