• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Building my daily driver tj

Re: Found one

gottagofast said:
Heavy equipment operator.... pipeline construction

A few minutes ago I just offered my boss $1000 cash to lay me off for a month and he laughed and said "f you, get back on your tractor" lol
Who you working for? I pipelined for 10 years, just recently came home. Still miss it everyday, but it was going to be the job or the wife :****:

Yeah it's rough.... if I could make half as much money at home in 40 hr weeks I'd be all over it

Working for US right now....

gottagofast said:
Yeah it's rough.... if I could make half as much money at home in 40 hr weeks I'd be all over it

Working for US right now....
Last job I worked up in Maine was for US. Mostly worked for Michels doing the testing. I start at a steel mill next week, I'm hoping it's a happy medium between what I do now and pipeline.

Ya know... you said it was the wife or pipeline..... lets see a couple pics.... maybe we can trade LOL!!!

Seriously though good luck w the mill... maybe you'll love it.

I put an add in the wanted section for a hardtop.... anyone find a deal on one please let me know... will pay a lil extra for delivery too!

Well so far the reman idea has been a big flop... my head is a 0331 tupy casting and they only seem to have the early 0331 heads that are crack prone....

grcthird said:
Dover cylinder heads in Atlanta is supposed to be a good place to get heads from what another shop owner was telling me.

Www.doverusa.com

It is that's the place I already mentioned. Buddy of mine has had 2 sets gone through there, last one needed new valves and was still only $350.

Thanks guys... will keep it in mind.... got 92 hrs last week.... may top 100 this week.... otherwise this puppy would be done....

The wheels got picked up last night... now it has a set of stock (16") alloys and 31"ish street radials...

I'm pretty sure this is the first time I ever took bigger mud tires off something to put smaller street rires on it!

Oh well... gotta keep reminding myself it's just temporary.

Good news flash!
Just got home from work.. stopped by orilley's on the way home to check the two heads I ordered there and one of them WAS a tupy head so I bought it....
Now I just have to round up a torque wrench and get home early enough to put her back together!

Ok I'm going crazy here....

Got head swapped and been all day trying to get cooling system working.....

Acts like an air lock.... has a vented tstat..... radiator busted first try.... went to town for another rad and more coolant....

Gauge hits 200 within a couple mins of running... stays there... starts boiling... shut it off cool down.... repeat....

Not getting heat out of the dash either

I wonder if the water pump is bad??? Did fine before but???? Ugh i dunno.... must sleep now lol

Sounds like Tstat is stuck I had a brand new out the box stuck, ever since then I take a coffee cup with water and nuke it and drop new one in it to make sure it opens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nah head gasket is pretty much fool proof.... i reused the old stat.... i'm thinking either stat or water pump...

Had a pump on a car once that was working before the new radiator but not after.... pulled it apart and the impeller had almost no fins left.

Will try to mess w it some more tonight....

Doubt it's the pump but if you replace it don't go with a cheap parts store one, I've been through 3 in 5 years, the bearing can't take the rev limiter and will start to make squalling noises

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like you have an air pocket, especially with no heat and 200 degrees in just a few minutes. Start it when it's cold and pull off a heater hose, that will tell you if it's circulating with the pump and possibly get the air out.

I did have the front about a foot higher than the back (steep driveway) also pulled a heater hose a couple of times and got no flow.... was starting to get very little flow/heat at the vents right before rad blew....

I'm thinking i'm gonna remove the stat and see what happens