• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Building or Driving?

ForMud

Kind going along with the "What is building a buggy" thread.

What do you enjoy the most the building of a rig or the riding end of things?

I'm at 30% building and 70% riding right now. It'll change once I save up some money and start on the next big build up of my rig.
I like the research ( Or plotting and planning ) of the build more than the actual hands on part. My body is getting old and hurts if I push to hard.
The driving part can get stressful...Mostly the whole getting everything together and the towing part....Once on the trail it's all good.

Driving 100%. Building stresses me out. And usually causes friction between my dad and me. He helps me do it since I don't know how and want to learn, but sometimes he can overthink things and something simple becomes a big ordeal. I'm a driver, I don't like spotting either. towing and all that doesn't bother me, I always feel like I forget something but so far other than a lantern been fairly lucky about remembering everything.

Perfect world, I'd never have to fix or build anything and it would all just be there. But I do enjoy the build also.

Ultimately, I am a wheeler. Riding with a buddy is what got me in to this craziness and it is what keeps me in it. That was over 11 years ago and I have been ate up with it every since. That being said, I do enjoy the fabrication part of it a lot too. So much so that I work for my buddy on my days off at his shop building cool offroad ****. I do get tired of wrenching from time to time and always go wheeling to build up my motivation. The wheeling feeds the building. :****:

I build or wrench because I have to. No money to pay a shop that's going to deliver what I want)

Driving (on the road, towing, on the trails, ...) is what I like.

I enjoy both, but i think i'm better at working on my **** than i am wheeling it. I seem to struggle on some of the easiest obstacles....

BUG-E J said:
Driving. I hate working on stuff
I think I drive the way I do (not as agressive as I used to) because I HATE working on my ****. Hate it. When I race my golf cart I find myself not pushing as hard as I could because dollar signs and labor hours are racking up in my head of what this is going to cost me. Same deal with wheeling. I seldom try harder **** anymore, I don't want to be down. I have the capability and shop to fix about anything, just don't love working on it anymore.

I'm 50/50. I love being out in the woods behind the wheel. I also love wrenching and tinkering on my rig, upgrading as I go. I do get to the point sometimes when I feel like I've spent entirely too much time wrenching and not enough time riding. I get frustrated when I get to that point, but the second I get back behind the wheel, that frustration disappears.

20% the planning out of a rig, or upgrades to existing rig. :dunno:
10% the implementing ( see wrenching, cutting, welding, cussing) of said plans. :eat:
30% the shop hang out/drinkin/ bullshit sessions, about what said unit is gonna do when upgrades are complete. :drinkers: :flipoff1:
30% the wheeling and driving. :driving:
I really enjoy every aspect of this hobby.

Driving 100% as well.

I never did mind simple stuff like axle changes, hub problems, regular maintenance type stuff, because it's nice to drink beer, listen to tunes, and pittle a little bit....but fawk using every bit of free time working my ass off building something. I want to do it JohnG style, buy and wheel the **** out of it.

I guess that's why I like motorcycles so much. All driving, only maintenance is oil changes which take no time at all, tires every 10k-ish miles, and brakes every once in a blue moon. Ain't even gotta wash it most of the time after you ride. thumb.gif

blacksheep10 said:
I think I drive the way I do (not as agressive as I used to) because I HATE working on my ****. Hate it. When I race my golf cart I find myself not pushing as hard as I could because dollar signs and labor hours are racking up in my head of what this is going to cost me. Same deal with wheeling. I seldom try harder **** anymore, I don't want to be down. I have the capability and shop to fix about anything, just don't love working on it anymore.

Me. Accept for the part about the shop and ability to fix everything, and racing a golf cart.

I really love planning, researching, ordering/sourcing parts, fabbing/installing said parts, but the best part is getting out there with the finished product and feeling a huge improvement in your rig after the upgrade