• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Building or Driving?

I don't mind the building/upgrading of a nice wheeling rig, some of it is fun...ish.

2 problems though:
1. If I'm building it, that means I can't toss it on a trailer and go have fun at any moment of my choosing.
2. It takes so much time away from other aspects of life if I have to be at the shop every free second I have.

If I had more throw away money, it would be cool to have a build from scratch just sitting around that I mess around with a few hours a week. Then have another that is always ready to go.

Driving one is the option I would choose if I had to though. I always feel like I'm missing out on fun when other people are wheeling or going to races while my crap is in a million pieces.

I couldn't imagine diving into a full build right now.

my boy just turned 2 and i spend a lot of time with him. he does pretty good in the shop to let me get a little bit done here and there, but it literally takes weeks to get stuff done that I used to knock out in an evening.

having a shophouse sucks in this aspect, because i cant do any fab work at night after he goes to sleep.

Re: Re: Building or Driving?

TBItoy said:

my boy just turned 2 and i spend a lot of time with him. he does pretty good in the shop to let me get a little bit done here and there, but it literally takes weeks to get stuff done that I used to knock out in an evening.

having a shophouse sucks in this aspect, because i cant do any fab work at night after he goes to sleep.
X2. My boys are 5 & 2. When I get off work I like hanging with them more than wrenching on something. Just have little motivation these days to build a rig.

That being said, I like driving a rig that works well. I love brainstorming and planning new rigs or next mods, but the actual building is at the bottom. Occasionally I miss the days of having a more mild rig that drives good on the street and can hit the trails too.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

TBItoy said:

That would be my only hangup on a shop/house....all the noise

whiskeymakin said:
That would be my only hangup on a shop/house....all the noise
This is why my shop is 300 ft door to door from the house.

But I love it all. I too understand the trials of now having a young son that pulls me away from shop time. But, such is life, and I find ways to fit it all in, probably why I'm so damn exhausted all the time. I have to have this creative ventilation for my head and hands or I'd go nuts.
1b05da4489f3f1844e6f5ea2c764b56a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Before kids, I loved working on mine as much as riding. I wouldn't think twice about spending every spare moment wrenching. Now with 2 kids, it takes me a month to get something done that my friends can knock out on theirs in a day or two.

mcutler said:
1b05da4489f3f1844e6f5ea2c764b56a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I sure as hell wouldn't want to run into those concrete deadmen you have lining your driveway, cause they aren't going to move an inch.

95% driving 5% for building, maintaining, and upgrades. If im gonna upgrade I try to have everything ready to either bolt on or cut and reweld. Keeps my down time to a minimum cause, I LIKE TO DRIVE. :driving: :driving: :driving:

I Bitch about working on my rig but I love it at the same time. My son is 2.5 years old and that had cut into my garage time but now I just work on my stuff and stopped fixing other peoples junk.

The sick part is every time I ride I have ideas run through my head of what I can do next to make my rig better.

I'm prolly 50/50 but sometimes it's a stress relief to go to the garage and just work on my rig. The garage is my stress relief for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Re: Re: Building or Driving?

ForMud said:
I sure as hell wouldn't want to run into those concrete deadmen you have lining your driveway, cause they aren't going to move an inch.
Your right about that. 3700# a piece. I've got about 60 of them. They also make a good place to stretch the suspension out for testing...