• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Building speaker boxes

jeeptj99

Has anyone built speaker boxes for their trucks? I want to put a couple extra speaker in my truck and damn boxes are stupid priced. What did you use? Any tricks? It's going in a single cab dodge.

Re:

To save weight go with 3/4 Baltic birch.
Tricks would be use cardboard for form fit.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Download Blaubox and build it to the dimensions your require. Lets you tweak the design for correct air space for the speakers.

Re: Re: Building speaker boxes

Rokcrler said:
Download Blaubox and build it to the dimensions your require. Lets you tweak the design for correct air space for the speakers.
X2. Also research about using polyfill as it might help you fit a box.

I've bought cheap boxes online before and modified them to work.

I prefer mdf also. I typically wrap the outside of the box with carpet/leather/vinyl. Most of the fiberglass boxes you see are built of wood and covered in glass to look cool.

being that you are working with a single cab truck I would start by going out to the truck and getting an idea of what depth speaker will work; subtract 1 inch from that measurement for 3/4" MDF and 1/4" air gap behind the speaker. Different brands have different mounting depths. If you are going to have amplifier powering these speakers pick one that is equal or less than the speakers RMS power rating. (always use the RMS power rating for picking all speakers, applying more power than the RMS value typically causes distortion) The type of box that you build depends on the kind of music that you listen to, [this next applies to subwoofers] rap, hip-hop, dance, techno, machine generated bass do good with a sealed box, gives the sound some boing. modern rock, classic rock, country, bass line usually comes from a guitar, usually work better with a ported box, it gives the sound a more "mellow" sound. as far as subwoofers go 1 is plenty unless you are trying to impress the local middle schoolers

Re:

Custom is cool....did many in my vehicles and others to make side cash.

Check out www.sonicelectronix.com or www.amazon.com for cheap boxes.

I think prefab boxes are actually cheap. I mean you could easily build stronger boxes but sounds like you're not gonna run 100 Oz magnet subs and 3000 watts.

Buy the time you buy enough wood....screws...glue....carpet/bedliner paint you'll be really close to 40 bucks. Save 8 bucks I guess 8)

0ec2cf87ac81ad4a93b7371e296ceefc.jpg