• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Buying buggies

I'm not going to lie, I finance my stuff. The initial build, that is. Any upgrading, or extras are out of pocket. The current buggy project is probably 80-90% financed, on a loan that I took out against my tow rig. Part of "how did you buy this?" is knowing the right people. A friend of mine is building my chassis for free and we are splitting the rest of the work. I just happen to have a friend that wants to get his fabrication business going, and needs somebody who is willing to pay for the parts, so that he can build a flagship buggy. We just happen to have interests that are conducive to helping each other reach our respective goals; and a genuine friendship, which means we know that one of us won't screw the other one over.

But if I didn't do this, I would be out of the game for the next 5 years, just saving money and popping Tums (because I'd be so stressed from not wheeling that my heartburn would be never-ending). I have lost a lot of friends and family to deaths of various sorts, so I have a firm grasp on the fact that I may not be around on this Earth for as long as I plan to be. So in the mean time, I will finance my toys just for the simple fact that I would otherwise not be able to own them. And the things that I do with my toys is what makes me who I am, thereby making them a high priority. I believe the things that I am passionate about are the reason that I am on Earth.

I understand the whole "pay cash for everything" mentality, and I wish I had the patience and self control to do it; alas, I do not. However, I WAS able to get ALL the way through college with ZERO loans, and only needed to "borrow" money from my parents for the very last semester. So I guess it could be worse...

Re: Re: Re: Buying buggies

wont work said:
I don't know who said it but someone said they didn't want to wait 8 years to ride and was having fun while I was building. I had a truck and bought a buggy and some other crap during that time that was fun and let me get out in the woods. It may not have been the best looking stuff but I had a good time in it.

I said it. But that was just my opinion on how I do things vs. how you do things. Nobody is "wrong" for the method they choose to do something. Some ppl have more patience and enjoy the building phase as much as wheeling. I personally do not. I enjoy pittling around on my rig, but nowhere near enough to have actually took a long time to build one. If that's your cup of tea, then that's your cup of tea, nothing more.

Threads like these cause so much controversy over "the best way to go about this or that" when the best way for me or you, may not be the best way for the other guy....yet we (including myself) get sucked in and feel the need to defend a senseless argument such as what pertains to our specific biased situation. Also, I think it's kinda dumb to initially ask how you afford blah blah anyways. #1) I would just feel damn nosey asking someone else about personal things like that. #2) what does it matter how others afford ****? If you can't figure out how to afford what you want with what you've got, you aren't gonna learn any secret as how to afford a $100k buggy. The answer is not "Go open a car wash like Timmie Cameron and you can buy whatever you want." LOL

TacomaJD said:
I said it. But that was just my opinion on how I do things vs. how you do things. Nobody is "wrong" for the method they choose to do something. Some ppl have more patience and enjoy the building phase as much as wheeling. I personally do not. I enjoy pittling around on my rig, but nowhere near enough to have actually took a long time to build one. If that's your cup of tea, then that's your cup of tea, nothing more.

Threads like these cause so much controversy over "the best way to go about this or that" when the best way for me or you, may not be the best way for the other guy....yet we (including myself) get sucked in and feel the need to defend a senseless argument such as what pertains to our specific biased situation. Also, I think it's kinda dumb to initially ask how you afford blah blah anyways. #1) I would just feel damn nosey asking someone else about personal things like that. #2) what does it matter how others afford ****? If you can't figure out how to afford what you want with what you've got, you aren't gonna learn any secret as how to afford a $100k buggy. The answer is not "Go open a car wash like Timmie Cameron and you can buy whatever you want." LOL

So true. Some get all butt hurt cause others don't do it their way. It is everyone's choice to do it the way they want.
I would never ask someone either how they got all their money just out of respect for them.

Bottom line is a lot of people in this sport roll deep and some look like they roll deep but honestly live pay check to pay check to ride. My question is how many people actually think about retirement in this day and age we live in.

You guys think this is bad? You should see what kind of stuff is said on CAR forums when "how do you pay to play?" questions come up! :****:

Cole said:
Bottom line is a lot of people in this sport roll deep and some look like they roll deep but honestly live pay check to pay check to ride. My question is how many people actually think about retirement in this day and age we live in.
Cole, I think many of us have come to the realization that most of our generation will never get to retire...

Cole said:

I can retire from my current shop in 1 year 12 days with partial retirement and at the age of 45 with full state retirement but will be punished because I will be so young doing it.

I never see myself retiring fully from work itself.

wont work said:

I can retire from my current shop in 1 year 12 days with partial retirement and at the age of 45 with full state retirement but will be punished because I will be so young doing it.

I never see myself retiring fully from work itself.

Me either. I'll have a helluva 401k stash by the time I'm retiring age, but will it still be there? I might not even make it to retiring age. BUT, just be prepared best you can for it either way. Not much else to say about that.

I enjoy wheeling and if it wasn't for the bank in the beginning I wouldn't be where I am today. I started out at 14 when I wanted a 4 wheeler my mom signed on a loan with me to get it in order to help establish my credit. From then on I have borrowed money on a signature loan here and there in order to get certain things that I feel are good deals that I can make money on. My motto is that everything I own is always for sale. Therefore i buy, sell, and trade often and by doing that I have been able to have my buggy paid for, 2nd rig paid for and tow rig paid for. I'm at the point now that the only money spent on toys are from whatever I can make selling or trading parts and toys. Granted I sold my nice tow rig and bought an older cheaper tow rig. In order to not have a truck payment.
However my wife and I both had to have student loans in order to finish college and still owe on our house andhave a small loan against her vehicle. Every year during tax time we try and pay a small chunk down on whatever the smallest loan is at the time in order to get it paid off. I'm at the point where I could sell all the toys that are paid off and pay all my loans off except the house but my only hobby is wheeling and not ready to give it up yet.

I agree with the paying cash and not financing to a point...

I grew up poor as a kid and could tell my single mom was struggling to support me and my sister. As we got to the teens she remarried and things got a little better and we built a house on 30 acres. We wasnt well off by no means, it was financed. We still had our struggles time to time but who dont. When I turned 16 I went to work for my grandpaw. He was a pretty successful business man for over 30yrs up til that damn :afro: got in office. He started Alabama Converter Corp and built torque converters for years and eventually sold it(now ACC performance I believe). He dabbled in a few things til he settled on a metal fab business and thats about when I went to work for him. He taught me to work. Not like these lazy ass ****ers I see alot of today but WORK. Stay busy, do your job. Even told me one day "son stay busy, i dont care if you play with yourself in the corner, stay busy" lol. Which I knew what he ment. I couldnt and still cant stand to be on the clock getting paid and be standing there doing nothing.

I guess all that to say work hard so you can play hard, I havent always had the cash flow like I do know. I have been blessed with a great job and my wife is a nurse. I have financed many things. For the past 4 to 5 years I have moved more towards the save and pay cash part b/c seeing how much I have paid in interest struck a nerve one day. I havent had a car/truck payment in 5 years but Im also not driving a brand new one either. Only making payments on a house.... and a rzr which I put a hefty amount down and the payments aint much b/c it was a 2.6% rate. At the time I could have paid cash but the money was worth more to me sitting in the bank. My wife wanted a pool from day one of buying the new house and Im finally doing it 2 years later. It took some time saving the money but I know Ill enjoy it more knowing I was able to pay cash. Now ill admit, having that kinda money sitting there is killing me not to be able to put it in a offroad toy but keeping a promise and keeping my wife happy is priority number 1.

Having something financed kills it for me. I dont feel like I can enjoy it knowing if I break it I still got to make the payments.

Cole said:

I work for Norfolk Southern Railroad I have a great retirement plan but I also put 10% of my earnings into my 401K that way I will have a comfortable retirement I'm just 32 and have been with the RR for 11 yrs now so I still have 39 more yrs to work so I guess I'm 1 of the small % that actually does think about that kinda stuff, I want a big boy buggy but I don't let my wants over take my family's needs..just my .02

I'm on the way to being retired by 55. One more business to open, which will be financed. In twenty two years, I will be banking on both being paid off and having residual income to fund my habit.

I don't have anything nice in this world but my wife, children and my store. I make do and stay patient until I can get what I "want."

Everyone can do it there own way and I go about it in a way that keeps anxiety down to a minimum. Volunteering at Stony Lonesome has filled my wheeling void for a while. I have four rigs in all states of disrepair and love the tinkering as much as wheeling.

Maybe one day I'll get most of them in running shape and maybe sell or trade one off. Til then, I'll enjoy riding my junk and having fun with the folks I meet in the trails.

As for cash or credit, i really wasnt rying to start that war. I was just curious as to how those that have financed rigs made it happen with the bank. It seams to me that if a person could walk in and get a buggy as easy as you can a razor, then there would be buggy's out the wazoo!!
It really pissed me of when the bank said i could get another razor, but they wouldnt touch the buggy's.
I tried a few other banks with no such luck as well.

As for working hard to get what you want, i work a 60+ hour work week, and do fab work at home. I built my first rig with left overs and parts i made myself, hell i made my own bender and die because i did not have the$$ to buy a bender, but had access to a lot of scrap iron. The rig turned out decent and done well. I really hope that by this time next year i can start a rig for myself, the razor is ok, but its just not the same in my opinion.

And cole, your dead on about the retirement. I have been at my job for almost 19 years, and really have little to show for retirement. I think i remember reading where you had said something about good and bad decisions, well i want say my job was bad, but at the same time i probly should have tried for something better long ago.

Cole said:
My question is how many people actually think about retirement in this day and age we live in.

My question is why would you not think & plan for retirement? What does "this day & age" have to do with it? The US has made it through other liberal asshole presidents (Jimmy Carter) & rough patches before. No reason to think it won't happen again.

My current plan is to retire at 55. Still got 20+ years to go but am hitting yearly goals so far.

I do not want to be a financial burden on anyone (family, kids, or tax payers) down the road.

Paraphrasing JohnG, Failing to plan is planning to fail!

So many threads; so many thoughts. I am in the situation of being 2 pay checks behind. Never have I been ahead. I have been building my piece for over 7 years. Never financed anything except a house for my first marriage. Lost it in the divorce. First time I ever tried to establish credit. I always pay cash which as a result I have no credit. Life can be tough but ya got to be tougher. :****:

Re: Re: Buying buggies

ranger11 said:
So what do you do when your neck deep in debt? Quit paying and start over? Keep pushing through? Yeah I know I was young and dumb.

IMO bankruptcy is the LAST resort. I am by no means a financial adviser but like I stated before we using Dave Ramsey's plan. It's not for everyone but has worked for us.

Jeremy

Re: Re: Buying buggies

I don't feel bankruptcy is right. I borrowed the money so I feel like I need to pay it back. I'm 30 and just started putting money in a 401k. Its not much but hope as debt gets paid off I can put more in it.