• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

cam help

kody29

ok I had a lifter collapse on new build bottom of lifter looks fine just curious if there is a way to inspect cam to see if I folded a lobe without removing thanks.

454 with 496 stroker kit just built last week hydraulic flat tappet cam xtreme 4x4 cam specs below

*BBC - 1965-66 396 c.i. models have an oiling groove in the rear journal. The listed part numbered cams will not fit these models, so if you require a camshaft with the oiling groove, please call us at 1-800-999-0853 or click here to contact us, and we will assist you with placing an order.
Description

Return to Store Item
Part Number: Grind Number:
Lifter Type:
Engine Family: Chevrolet 396-454 c.i. 8 CYL. 1965-1996
Description: Hydraulic-Best with improved intake manifold, needs headers and 3.55 - 3.90 gears and 2000+ stall.
Cam Family: Xtreme 4 x 4™ Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshafts
Specifications Intake Exhaust
RPM Range: Valve Lash:
Valve Timing: Duration:
Lobe Separation: Duration @ .050" Lift:
Intake Centerline: Valve Lift:
Lobe Lift:
Valve Timing @ 0.006 Lift:

Exhaust
Closes 24
ATDC
Opens 74
BBDC
107 Valve Timing Diagram
Intake
28 Opens
BTDC
62 Closes
ABDC

Well your going to have to take the intake off anyway to change the lifter, so it will be easy to tell then, When you put it back together, go to the parts store and buy a bottle if zinc! so important these days, that's what makes oil slick, they took it out a few years ago for emission crap, that will help make sure the break in goes well. and run it about 2000 rpm for about a half hour.

Amsoil makes some heavy zinc break in stuff.

It sounds like he has the lifter out already. Id just shine a light down the lifter bore and spin the motor over with a breaker bar.

yes lifter is out new one ordered I run comp cams break in oil with each oil change for Zink additive. The problem is this is in a rock bouncer so its a pain pulling motor apart in chassis and I have had it out and back in 3 times in last 6 month pain in the ass. Thanks for the help I will do this tonight.

Was the valves adjusted correctly or do you have something binding up in the valve train?

Yes valve train was adjusted correctly cam was already broken in. Broke cam in by removing center valve springs and following Comp Cams break-in directions. Yes run high zinc additive every time. I'm beginning to see never waste money on a flat tappet

You could use a dial indicator on top of the new lifter or push rod to make sure the lift height is the same as the other lobes on the cam.

Gotta use a good high ZDDP break in oil ( I use Brad Penn), follow the manufacturers break in procedure to a T and continue using a high ZDDP content oil from that point on. (I use Valvoline VR1). Flat tappet cams are highly susceptible to lobe failure these days because most over the counter oils don't have enough zinc (ZDDP) in them.

I had this to happen years ago. Comp told me to take the lifter apart and pack it with grease so I did . It pumped up then and never had a problem again.

I saw in the comps break in procedure that you should remove the inner spring
But I broke mine in with it still in there. It's been good for a couple years now.

jk101 said:
Never run a flat tappet cam and all will be good.

Up until the SB2, NASCAR rules were flat tappet. So 500 miles at WFO. So they can't be that damn bad. Plus my own personal experience of over a dozen flat tappets and have yet to smoke a lobe. I put the break in **** all over the lobes, fire that bitch up, get the timing close and hold it at 2k till it's hot. Never pulled the dampeners out. I usually run valvoline 50w vr1 in flat tappet motors, never had a cam issue.

Yes I'm gonna run the Lucas classic car 10 30 after break in of motor checked cam really well tonight got new lifter in and I'm gonna try to fire again tomorrow wish me luch.

94Blazer327 said:
Up until the SB2, NASCAR rules were flat tappet. So 500 miles at WFO. So they can't be that damn bad. Plus my own personal experience of over a dozen flat tappets and have yet to smoke a lobe. I put the break in **** all over the lobes, fire that bitch up, get the timing close and hold it at 2k till it's hot. Never pulled the dampeners out. I usually run valvoline 50w vr1 in flat tappet motors, never had a cam issue.

That was 19 years ago when oil was better and there was not a better option. Now 19 years later there is much better technology. :popcorn:
You can run flat tappet if you want. But for the hassle it is not worth it to me. :****:

Agree to disagree. And they had roller cams before 1998.... I just choose to spend my extra 5 bills on something else vs a roller cam