• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Campers and Super Hitch/Extensions

nick c

Lewis & Clark bitches!
The wife and I are upgrading our camper (which wont take much from the last one). I was telling Gavin today I don't know why but for some reason I'm scared to tow with a super-hitch extension.

I saw Karl's KOH pictures, he was rocking what looked like an 11 foot camper, and towing a trailer with two rigs on it using an extension. So who else does it? How's it feel?

My truck came with the set up already, so I've got everything to do it. And if I could get over my made up fear that I'll kill a bus of pregnant nuns, with orphans on board it'd open up my options for campers as I could step up to a 10-11' range.

My set up is a 97 OBS CCLB, towing my 4runner on a typical 7k trailer. Camper is still to-be-determined.

:corn:

I have towed to and from Moab with my 97 PSD and an extended drawbar without any issues. I was towing a YJ on a 10K GVW trailer.

One caveat, I do have Firestone airbags that I installed on the rear.

The camper is a 9 1/2 ft S&S.

You've seen my truck Nick, and also have a 9.5' S&S, using an 18" hitch extension, towing the Jeep, or Sami, NO problems...If you go any longer than 9.5' and 18" extension, I'd run a Super Hitch Truss system.

My truck is pretty much the same as Kevin's, except he has a Banks kit. His camper is a bit larger in that his was built for a crew cab and mine for an extended cab, although both are 9 1/2' campers.

We both have airbags.

I have an 11.5' camper on the back of '05 sw F350 PSD and use the Super Hitch truss system for pulling a 12k trailer with the zuk and gear. The extension is 48" tip to tip. I'm also using airbags. When I bought the camper, I knew I needed an extension and did not feel comfortable building one, so went with the Super Hitch and glad I did. I still get nervous when pulling at speed on roads with big dips and watching the trailer buck, but never had any problems. No worries doing 70+ on freeway, it feels fine. Even on uneven roads it feels fine, I just slowed down a little.

You've seen my truck Nick, and also have a 9.5' S&S, using an 18" hitch extension, towing the Jeep, or Sami, NO problems...If you go any longer than 9.5' and 18" extension, I'd run a Super Hitch Truss system.

Thanks for the replies.

The truck has a Super Hitch, and I have a 48" extension that goes with it. The one with the two receivers to match the super hitch.

Make sure your chains stay TIGHT on your super hitch with the stinger. The chains got loose on me one day and it was a 'fun ride' to say the least.

I've had to do an "emergency manuver" with the truck, camper, and single jeep on a single trailer. A deer jumped out in front of me while I was doing 55 in a 35. That gave me the faith in the system I'm using. The wife barely looked up from her book as I was on the brakes so hard I gave myself a leg cramp. The camper was well re-organized inside after that one. :awesomework:

I hate campers. Get a toyhauler and even if you have to put 15" rims with no tires to get your wheeler into the cargo area, you'll still be happier than with a camper and a flatbed. You dont know luxury until you've packed 20 people into your trailer during a rainstorm, and watched movies on a flat screen hanging on the ramp door, and still have room to move around.

Had a toyhauler, sold it for a camper, ran the camper for two years, hated it, sold it, and now im looking to get back into a toyhauler again. I know what I want now. I will have to build a dolly trailer for my jetboat to make it fit inside, but until WA legalizes double towing, thats just the way its gonna have to be.

I hate campers. Get a toyhauler and even if you have to put 15" rims with no tires to get your wheeler into the cargo area, you'll still be happier than with a camper and a flatbed. You dont know luxury until you've packed 20 people into your trailer during a rainstorm, and watched movies on a flat screen hanging on the ramp door, and still have room to move around.

Had a toyhauler, sold it for a camper, ran the camper for two years, hated it, sold it, and now im looking to get back into a toyhauler again. I know what I want now. I will have to build a dolly trailer for my jetboat to make it fit inside, but until WA legalizes double towing, thats just the way its gonna have to be.

I'll second that. Daryl's set up with the toy hauler was great for those of us with campers...lol

I've never liked campers. And I'll definitely never tow with an extension.

Nothing wrong with the extensions. You can be sure they've been tested to the extremes, or they wouldnt be on the road and there would be a lot more rich lawyers. (sidenote: thats the true engineering test of a product. How many lawyers got rich off your product!)

Think about it, how is an extension any different than a class a or c motorhome with 15 feet of tail behind the rear axle, and they tow all the time. Distance from rear axle to hitch is as much or more than most superhitch setups.

You need to be aware of your swing when turning, and dragging ass on bad fuel station approaches, but the math says you'll still bottom out your rear suspension before anything "bad" happens.

That said, I still hate campers.

Every toy hauler I have seen didn't have a load rating high enough to haul a wheeler. Gavin and myself looked at all the toy hauler set ups at the rv show.

A toy hauler would be nice though. Eventually Id like to have a camper mounted on the front of a gooseneck.

Latest posts