• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Campers and Super Hitch/Extensions

You should just make a toy hauler. Get a big ass enclosed gooseneck trailer and convert the front into a living area.

You should just make a toy hauler. Get a big ass enclosed gooseneck trailer and convert the front into a living area.

Well that would be my prefered set up, but that's some decent coin to build one. Maybe someday I can get one.

Thats the way I am thinking about going, especially if I can ever convince my grandpa into selling me his truck, then I wouldn't need to worry about swapping the bed as much.

My thoughts/experience:
Tow Rig - '06 Duramax LB SRW w/ bags
Trail Rig - '93 Land Cruiser (~6000lbs)
Camper - 9' Palomino Maverick (~2500lbs dry/empty)
Trailer - 10k Iron Eagle (2000lbs)

On toy hauler:
Besides something custom, I couldn't find anything affordable that was rated for a ~6000lbs rig. On top of that, a super long toy hauler won't fit in some of the places I like to camp.

On extension:
I don't like them, but I'm not completely against them. The SuperHitch double beam with chains is the only thing I would consider using.

On Campers in general:
My camper is 3 season, has a bathroom, no slides, no AC. It is great for summer camping or boys wheeling trips, but family camping in foul weather sucks. It feels like we are on top of each other when all inside and not sleeping (2 adults and a 3 year old).

On truck limits:
For my SRW truck, the limiting factor is my tires. My 10ply tires are rated for ~3200lbs each (6400lbs rear axle). With a full tank and no load, my r axle weights are 4200 front / 3200 rear. With my camper I'm 5000/5000. When I hook up my trailer, I assume about 10% tongue weight (800lbs). So that leaves me with 6400 - 5000 - 800 = 800 lbs extra payload for food / water / passengers.

My AAM 11.5" axle is rated for 10klbs. With bags, my truck frame/suspension is just as strong as a DRW duramax which has a higher payload than my tire can handle.

I have owned everything RV from a camper in the bed of a pickup to camper on a gooseneck trailer to a toyhauler. My favorite is our diesel pusher. There's nothing better than rolling into camp pushing a couple buttons and be camping.:awesomework:

Fyibthe pictures from Karls Koh trip, that same configuration, same load, same everything has gone to Koh 5 years in a row just like that without one failure.