• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Chainsaw use on the trail?

redneck_hippy

What is the consensus on when using a chainsaw on the trail is OK?

I know its not OK to use it to:
cut illegal trails
cut trees to prevent body damage
make bypasses...

How do the rules differ for private, gov, public lands?

After something is cut what is the approprate thing to do with the tree?

Only time I've ever used it, was to clean up blow down. Even then, only as wide as the trail was cut out, and the section was left to the side.

private land IMO is do whatever the **** you want if your the owner and **** THE MAN if he has anything to say about it.

Goverment and public land? leave the saw at home unless its a trail cleanup.

We always bring a saw or two on club runs. Especially in the Late Spring/early summer season. Lots of blowdowns on the trails, if a wheeler removes a blowdown, it is something that the DNR or Forest Service doesn't have to do.

We usually just cut the blowdown and winch it to the side of the trail.

i have used a saw a time or two in late spring as well to clear a trail, but wouldnt want to post it on here, im sure i would get my fair share of bored web wheelers, and provide fuel for thier bitching and complaining.

We always bring a saw or two on club runs. Especially in the Late Spring/early summer season. Lots of blowdowns on the trails, if a wheeler removes a blowdown, it is something that the DNR or Forest Service doesn't have to do.

We usually just cut the blowdown and winch it to the side of the trail.

Yep. Its always best to remove blow downs if it dosent create a saftey hazard. When trails get blocked then bypasses appear, Better to keep the trail clear

I always take my saw.

Never cut anything other than blowdowns that are in the trail. I cut them as narrow as the trail, put the cut section to the side, and move on....

If you need to cut a tree to fit, or to avoid body damage, turn around, go home... and wash your vagina :looser:

I always pack mine---and have only used it a couple times, also for clearing blow-downs off the trail; Just as everyone else that does--just wide enough for rigs to get thru; and set the cutout to the side.... And to add, the powers that be (DNR, etc...) are either called ahead of time, or afterward to let them know...

I always carry one, you never know. You guys are sounding like the greenies now. I've been hung up on stumps and needed to cut my way free. I've slid off trail into vine maples and cut my way out. I've also cut huge swaths of forest a 100' wide to form a fire break during a hellish fire in eastern Oregon. Not going to just cut down a tree for no good reason, but you guys are tip toeing around now like carrying one is BAD. It's just a chain saw you guys, it's OK.

So from what everyone is saying, the ONLY time it is ok to use the saw on the trail is to cut out blow down. And only if it is in the way of the trail.

I used mine today to cut a blow down that was in the trail... it wasn't there 2 weeks ago.... but there was a pretty good path beat down AROUND the tree OFF THE TRAIL... so I cut the tree out, pulled the pieces off to the side, and hopefully people will stay on the trail there now... :eeek:

I used mine today to cut a blow down that was in the trail... it wasn't there 2 weeks ago.... but there was a pretty good path beat down AROUND the tree OFF THE TRAIL... so I cut the tree out, pulled the pieces off to the side, and hopefully people will stay on the trail there now... :eeek:

Where were you wheelin Poohbair?

i normally care at least my small one. I have had, on several occations, a small log in the trail jump up in my undercarage, jam between the tcase, xmember and drive line.
better to cut it out than needless damage.

and for windfalls, and only as wide as the trail.

If a bypass has been create around a blowdown you can use what you have cut to block the bypass.

I cut it, split it, and take it back to camp :redneck:

If a bypass has been create around a blowdown you can use what you have cut to block the bypass.

I cut it, split it, and take it back to camp :redneck:

I was told down here at elbe if you cut it in the park you can burn it in the park. But you cant take any home. Big no no, I guess.