• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

changed coolant now engine won't start!

hunkajunk

Drained flushed (kind of) and filled my radiator. ran out of room before I had the book prescribed 9qts in. I have a coolant to h2o ratio of 3 to 1. So I ran it for a 2-5 minutes w/o the radiator cap on to see if there was some trapped air. No change. I closed the radiator and let it sit for 10 minutes. Then ran it for about 5 minutes. The heater was on at full blast but was cold at first. The heater warmed up for a minute then went cold as the engine temp shot up. I killed it before it got much past 210.

Now it wont start:mad::mad:. What did I do? Thermostat?

Got it started after letting it cool down. Once it heated up a little it started to shoot up fast. Shut it down.

I'm hoping t-stat. Leave it to me to change my coolant and kill the jeep:wtf:.

sounds like you may still have air in the system.... You wouldn't get the whole 9 qts in unless you were able to drain the heater core, block and all the other lines. Take the cap off and see if you can add more fluid now that it's been run for a bit. Also if the tstat hasn't opened up while running there still may be air stuck in the system

I was able to get about half a quart more in. That brings me to just under 8 quarts total.

Still overheating real quick. Is it worth swapping in a new t-stat? Or is there any tricks to getting all the air out?

You have air in your system. Basically an air bubble stuck behond the thermostat. If the 2.5 liter has a coolant line that runs into the intake. try filling coolant there. Usually the air bubble will work its way out.

You have air in your system. Basically an air bubble stuck behond the thermostat. If the 2.5 liter has a coolant line that runs into the intake. try filling coolant there. Usually the air bubble will work its way out.

I poked around the intake and can't fine a coolant line. Doesn't mean it's not there. I just can't find it.

Sounds like if there is a bubble behind the t-stat that taking it out might help? In which case I might as well put in a new one?

Thanks the patients :worship: :worship:

I wouldn;t take out the thermo if its been working fine. Yeh it wouldn;t hurt to do it, but then you dealign with an air bubble again. I think on top of the thermostat housing there might be a bleeder screw. Take a peak and see.

If you do end up swapping the t-stat you could drill a small hole at the top of the stat so it will flow a small amount of coolant and ease air bubbles out. Some stats already have a funky doodad that allows flow before it opens.

Sucess!!:clappy:

Not sure if it was a bubble or the T-stat. Since I have no idea when the last T-stat was put in I swapped in a new one.
I put as much coolant in as I could before I put the t-stat in.

Fired it up. Watched the temp rise to 210. Got nervous. Then the t-stat opened and the temp went down to normal. :cheer:

Thanks to all for the help! :beer::beer::beer::cool: