• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Cheapass Buggy Drivetrain - Just enough

Welderd

so what do I want to look for?

I'm leaning towards for a 4.3 tbi and K-case 700r4.
they're cheap, everywhere, simple to work on and with the 700r4 I get low 1st and OD, trade the length of the trans for 2 cylinders on the engine

I've never had hardly any HP so I don't even know what it's good for! I've had rigs with a 4.3tbi, 22re and 3.8 tauras and with the right gearing they've done everything I've ever needed.

building a 4 seat rig so I want to "do it right the first time" but I'll never be able to afford a Mast engine, x-trans and 4spd atlas.

I'm thinking 4.3 TBi, 700R4, 3.0 atlas, 5.13's or 5.38's with 37-40's and I'll be able to do anything I want. Drive to work, rock race (MOROC, maybe XRRA close by), crawl (RROCK) and the wifey can still drive it.
Am I missing something or is there a better affordable engine out there that I should consider?

I like the 3.8 supercharged engine but not sure of the 904 engine. Not a big chrysler fan

adapters suck too - I want stuff that bolts together factory, no odd ball ****

watch craigslist and chucks trucks forums... I bought an LS1/4L60E off craiglist for $750 back in the spring off craigslist, and I just bought an LS1/k case 700R4 of chucks trucks for $500..... Both engines had under 80K on them and I got them complete with all the acc. and the wiring harness/ECM.... Times are tough for people right now... just be patient and watch for those who have bumped their sale add alot with no luck.... They will be the ones desperate to sell

I was also worried about all the work that people seem to do to an ls motor
- swap intake
- swap pans
- move accessories
- computer/wiring crap

is all that necessary or just a waste of time and money?

rockwild said:
- swap intake
- swap pans
- move accessories
- computer/wiring crap

The LS motors are the desired motors. They have the intake and oil pan that everyone already wants. Go to LS1tech.com and do some reading. Lots of great info there.

Most of the work people do to the LS motors is swaping the truck stuff out for a smaller package. If you can build around a couple more inches you will be fine. Lots of people leave the intake and swaps pan. The wiring can be done but for $500 you send it off adn get back a harness with a couple wires that need power and a tune. Money well spent.

Then get a 350 and 4.3 atlas. If you find a set of 4.10 axles you are set. Plenty of power to turn 40's and you save money on gears.

Toddy

So truck Ls1, 4l60e, atlas
swap pan for better packaging and oiling
send off for wiring and tune flash

is moving the alt a common thing for more space for links?

How bout the 4l60e - looks like it's a newer version of a 700r4, low first and OD. I see advanced adapters has a "shorty kit" to swap an atlas - that worth it?

then 3.0, 3.8 or 4.3 atlas? Maybe Kelly will chime in, thought he might go lomax 205. I'll probably gear the axles for road trips so that might mean a 3.0 would be best

Didnt know he was doing that now. Justin is a good guy. I know him personally and have bought stuff from the yard he works for. They know their stuff and what they got.

Not sure on the tranny.

Toddy

rockwild said:
- swap intake
- swap pans
- move accessories
- computer/wiring crap

We do plenty of 4.8 and 5.3's and unless the customer has bigger ideas the stock intakes are fine, the truck pans work GREAT, we don't touch the acc. and we do our own computer work. Some do these changes because everyone else does it, disregarding why the other person may or may not needed to do it? Or they are trying to maximize there combo where every detail matters. A 4.8 or 5.3 can be done on the cheap, be reliable, and make decent power. :dblthumb:

so I'm thinkin the 5.3 is the way to go

now the trans

run 4l60e stock or what? called art carr and they said a rev. manual vb wasn't available, suggested a 700r4 instead
they said they have an external thing for $499 that makes it full manual but not reversed. Don't think I want full manual unless it's reversed

so is there a case strength upgrade with the 4l60 over the 700r4?
isn't the 4l60 shorter by a little than the 700??

I think I'd be alright with just a stock 4l60 controlled by the engine computer

rockwild said:
so I'm thinkin the 5.3 is the way to go

now the trans

run 4l60e stock or what? called art carr and they said a rev. manual vb wasn't available, suggested a 700r4 instead
they said they have an external thing for $499 that makes it full manual but not reversed. Don't think I want full manual unless it's reversed

so is there a case strength upgrade with the 4l60 over the 700r4?
isn't the 4l60 shorter by a little than the 700??

I think I'd be alright with just a stock 4l60 controlled by the engine computer

This is probably a personal preference thing more than any? IMO it is much simpler to do a th-350(or 400) and be done with it.

really want the low first gear and OD

What's wrong with a 700r4? are the cases breaking that often?

Btwn the cases, the stupid kickdown cable, etc they just dont hold up well in stock form. Yes there are some well built 700r4's in some rigs out there but for the $$$ and simplicity you cannot beat a TH350.

is the 4l60e the same?

so it's just eh 700r4 case not the internals? since the 4l60e is the same internals pretty much right?

rockwild said:
is the 4l60e the same?

so it's just eh 700r4 case not the internals? since the 4l60e is the same internals pretty much right?

4L60E is the electronically controlled version of the 700R4.... if you dont like to manually shift your auto, get a 4L60E and let the computer control it... If you like full control, get a "K" case 700R4, and get a reverse manual valve body.That will do away with the need for the TV cable, and you can wire up the TC to lockup when the tranny is in 4th only(eliminating the need for the brake switch). I have broke 1 case in the last 4 yrs from improperly supporting the atlas off the back of it. The early 4L60E has the same 4 bolt flange that the 700R4 does and almost all your t-case adapters will convert the newer 6 bolt tailhousing, to a 4 bolt to use a conventional adapter. My last buggy had 400hp and the 4l60e that was in it had 100k on it when i put it in.. its still going to this day (3yrs)