• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Chevy dana 60 question

I believe the spindle studs are equal lengths between them so the spindle can be rotated to any spot (I believe mine is that way). And as jeff said keyway on top for ease of installing the lock for the bearing nut.

well i dont honestly remember its been awhile since ive been into mine.but in the pic they arent equal..thats why i was askin,unless they are 3 and 3 and the spindle can be flipped 2 ways?

I asked the question to hear how you turned your spindle so the keyway was "up".... it goes on one way only, not possible to "turn" it. Look at the picture, studs are not spaced evenly.

Chevy 6 bolt spindle. Mounting holes are NON-symetrical and the spindle will only fit one-way

Now my keyway happens to be facing the upper end unlike the pic so I guess its a crapshoot. Why would that matter anyways? It's just a washer. The harder part is lining up the pin on the first spindle nut to the indent in the keyed washer.

Last edited:
This makes my brain hurt:redneck:

My spindles have a ground in notch for the half ton calipers to clear....I would have sworn I've reassembled with the notch out of position and had to take it back apart...weird.:eeek:

I have it apart enough....maybe I should pay more attention:haha:

Spindle first...caliper bracket second....like the picture

This makes my brain hurt:redneck:

My spindles have a ground in notch for the half ton calipers to clear....I would have sworn I've reassembled with the notch out of position and had to take it back apart...weird.:eeek:

I am pretty sure mine is the same way Jeff

I believe the spindle studs are equal lengths between them so the spindle can be rotated to any spot (I believe mine is that way). And as jeff said keyway on top for ease of installing the lock for the bearing nut.

If im not mistaken, the 6 bolt Dana spindle design can go on in differnt ways.

the 5 bolt dana spindles can only go on 1 way.