• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Cleaning Aluminum Wheels

98TJ

I've got 5 Mickey Thompson forged aluminum wheels that I plan on selling. One is fine (the spare). The other four are kinda gold colored from the mud we have around here and me not cleaning them for 8 years.

Any suggestions on how to get that gold stain off of the wheels so I can sell those SOBs?

If they are so far gone that they don't come clean too easy with never dull or a mild polish, try an aluminum brightner or mild wheel acid. Be sure to wet the wheel first and don't let it sit too long. Then switch over to a milder cleaner.

I use some kind of acid my dad has. Can't leave it on there long though it's some bad ****

Find someone who washes semi trucks, they usually carry really good aluminum brightner that will turn them almost white, then you can leave em as is or polish em back out

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep... take them to a truck wash if you have one close by. If not you can usually find alluminum brightener at some truck stops. Depending on the strength you may need to dilute it with water first. Just spray some on the wheels...let it sit for a few seconds and then spray it off with a pressure washer. Good as new.

A guy around my house had a set of thoses were totally black from lack of cleaning. He used meratic acid may have spelled that wrong. Sprayed it on as soon as it went foamey all over he sprayed it off with water and it took a lil work wit polish but they looked almost new. I was pretty impressed

98TJ said:
http://www.duragloss.com/Wheel-Cleaners/Aluminum-Cleaner---Brightner/22-oz.---Duragloss-AC-(Aluminum-Cleaner---Brightner)

That sounds like what I need. Sounds like you just spray that stuff on and rinse it off. When I hear the word "polish", my bung hole draws up tighter than butterfly snatch.

Anyone know where that stuff is available locally? I found a couple of on-line sources.

Thanks for all the responses and suggestions,
NIB
i work at a carquest store and we have it

Mothers Mag & Wheel polish, and a pile of towels, and some elbow grease. The blacker the towel gets the better the polish is working for you, keep using the black rag and wiping clean with a cleaner rag and slowly rotate out.

Air conditioner coil cleaner is good too. Spray it on watch it foam a few seconds and hose it off.

sappmann said:
duragloss aluminium cleaner

THAT **** WORKED. duragloss aluminium cleaner

Got a bottle at Car Quest on Washington in Huntsville. Just like it said on the bottle' spray it on, let it set for about 60 seconds and then hose it off. 90% of that crap came off on the first spray.

Thanks for the info.

NIB

98TJ said:
THAT **** WORKED. duragloss aluminium cleaner

Got a bottle at Car Quest on Washington in Huntsville. Just like it said on the bottle' spray it on, let it set for about 60 seconds and then hose it off. 90% of that crap came off on the first spray.

Thanks for the info.

NIB
your welcome, we sell the carp out of it

Hate to bring up an old thread but my wheels needed cleaning bad and I couldn't find anything to take the stains off. Searched and found this thread and got the duragloss stuff.... hooooooly ****....

The before and afters.

leaked through while cleaning the front here...

And after...

0 scrubbing. 2 coats each.