• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Clutch ?

JAWS

I haven't pulled the trans yet.. But im pretty sure I blew up the clutch on the truck last weekend...

Any input on what clutch to get if that is what broke... I know South bend and Valair are good brands... anyone had problems with ether?

My trucks specs.. 99 Dodge 2500 5.9l turbo diesel 5 speed.. it has the edge drag comp tuner. ats manifold and gages...

I haul 6000-10000 pounds when towing...

Valair?? You mean Valeo????

South Bend is what most use that have this era truck...At least that's what I read on the interweb! :redneck:

See, I'm not a dodge performance guy...Never heard of 'em til now, always hear about S.B. thoguh...so ya larn somethin' new every day!

I used a south bend on my last 7.3, never ran one in a dodge but if I had a truck to put one in I would.

See, I'm not a dodge performance guy...Never heard of 'em til now, always hear about S.B. thoguh...so ya larn somethin' new every day!

It's about a 50/50 split if you search around competition diesel. Both Peter and the owner of Valair frequent the place and are very quick to answer questions. I've had a few SB clutches in my truck and a new DD waiting to go in whenever I get the damn thing done. But I have always read nothing but good about Valair as well.

It's about a 50/50 split if you search around competition diesel. Both Peter and the owner of Valair frequent the place and are very quick to answer questions. I've had a few SB clutches in my truck and a new DD waiting to go in whenever I get the damn thing done. But I have always read nothing but good about Valair as well.

So do you like your SB clutch Jeff? Ever had any issues?
I put a SB in one of my club members 06 dually and he likes it but it hasn't been in their a long time

So do you like your SB clutch Jeff? Ever had any issues?
I put a SB in one of my club members 06 dually and he likes it but it hasn't been in their a long time

Never had any issues with mine, worked great. I will say though, if you like your truck the way it is power wise, just get an OFE (it's rated for mid 400's I think). If you are planning for more, don't even consider the FE. That thing jerks like crazy when towing (starting/backing). I'd jump right up to the DD. Same manners as the OFE, but will hold considerably more power. But a DD would require the larger input shaft.

Never had any issues with mine, worked great. I will say though, if you like your truck the way it is power wise, just get an OFE (it's rated for mid 400's I think). If you are planning for more, don't even consider the FE. That thing jerks like crazy when towing (starting/backing). I'd jump right up to the DD. Same manners as the OFE, but will hold considerably more power. But a DD would require the larger input shaft.

I had the OFE in my old dodge and you got it, it was pretty noisy as well and sucked to back up any kind of a load, wont ever buy that one again :redneck: not saying SB is bad just bought the wrong clutch for my application:mad:

Put a SB in my 7.3 about 6 months ago. Has a semi soft pedal and engages smoothly. I really like it especially when towing. Im mostly stock and went with the 400HP rated one.

Truck had a Valair in it previoulsy and it was a nice clutch also. It went out becasue i blew an oring on my HPOP and was loosing 2 gallons of oil every 20 miles which seeped into my bellhousing and saturated the clutch.

I did the 400 HP one in hopes of upgrading injectors and turbo some day.

Id go wit SB or Valair and i think youd be happy with either.