• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Concerning IZZY

Side of Mtn fell down,Smashed bridge and DIVERTED May Creek onto the mine road/jeep trail.Water rages down trail for about fifty yards before it dives back to the left,into the valley, to it's original course.Where the water leaves the mine road,through hydrodynamics,the water has scoured a large hole.....maybe 20' deep and 30' feet across with vertical sides like a barrel.The valley side of the "barrel" is missing and the water cascades down from there into the valley.The HOLE takes up about 80% of the trail width...there is a "little" room on drivers left(facing up the trail) to "squeeze" a small car(like mine or $'s) by...but this would be SKETCHY at best with the penalty being landing upside down,20' down in a pool of water.The last time I looked at it was a month ago when we cleared all the blow down up to the edge of said hole.

^^^^

Very well described......your words are much good.:redneck:

**Before the bridge, after the landslide of last year.** I always make the joke that everyone probably thinks there was a wave a water ripping the earth away, leaving the rocky destruction behind we now see. When actually is was probably a trickle of water accumulating to a babbling brook that lasted a day or two, slowly but surely clearing all soft material away; leaving the larger rocks.

Last edited:
Do you recall the lil camp spot on the left as you started getting to where the trail had exposed round rock starting to pop up (just where the trail started getting rocky)

I haven't been up that far since the big slide & creek re-direct.

Side of Mtn fell down,Smashed bridge and DIVERTED May Creek onto the mine road/jeep trail.Water rages down trail for about fifty yards before it dives back to the left,into the valley, to it's original course.Where the water leaves the mine road,through hydrodynamics,the water has scoured a large hole.....maybe 20' deep and 30' feet across with vertical sides like a barrel.The valley side of the "barrel" is missing and the water cascades down from there into the valley.The HOLE takes up about 80% of the trail width...there is a "little" room on drivers left(facing up the trail) to "squeeze" a small car(like mine or $'s) by...but this would be SKETCHY at best with the penalty being landing upside down,20' down in a pool of water.The last time I looked at it was a month ago when we cleared all the blow down up to the edge of said hole.

So where does the Wild Sky boundary factor into all of this? I know the trail used to go up a ways past the old log bridge & then you could hike up to the lake.

I barrowed this pic from another thread.The vehichles in the background are parked at the point where the trail starts to change from "old" issy to new.There is a washout on the passenger side,just infront of the jeeps in the background that you should avoid but it is trivial and off to the side.

What I am yammering on about,In the previous posts, is up by the old bridge location and in the middle of the trail.

DSC00107.jpg

So where does the Wild Sky boundary factor into all of this? I know the trail used to go up a ways past the old log bridge & then you could hike up to the lake.

Quoted from Mike in the opening post:
Once you get to where the trail gets fun--you have hit the buffer zone for the wild sky boundry and you only get deeper into that zone--and once across the creek you are into wild sky. END QUOTE...

I always understood that the trail "just" paralleled the WS boundry and as long as you stayed on the trail(duh) you were safe from WS....perhaps Mike has seen a better map or GPS plots of the WS boundry as it relates to the mine road

Yes the road still continues up the slide(above old bridge location) then dives
back into the trees after a 100yrds or so onto the old road bed.....then it's just a cruise up to where the slide crossed the last section(100yrds) before the mine.I have driven my buggy out onto the shelf where the slide crossed.

The trail to the lake is still there and obvious......marked with pink ribbon

Last edited:
You are partialy correct jeff.. The boundry follows the creek and continues up the crrek well past where the old bridge was--in theory once you crossed the bridge you were in WS. But from what I gather, and I would like to confirm (but pretty sure ) the buffer zone.

Thanks for the Wiki link Todd.
I hadn't heard of Wild Sky before really either, being a 'born again' wheeler I hadn't been to Reiter in 15-20 years before going up there last Fall. Back in them days it was dirt bike heaven, the wheelin' was at Sultan basin and Pilchuk. (showing my age again)
As always thank you Mike (Crash) for doing your best to keep us informed.

I pulled this from the map Jackazz linked...Looks to me like the road/trail runs on FS land (light green) all the way to the private parcel (gray)...so the section after the old log bridge to the hiking trail is on FS land. Does that sound correct?

izzy.jpg

They'll do the same thing here they did with the index wall lookout......Stretch the boundries to reflect what they want then to.:rolleyes:

They'll do the same thing here they did with the index wall lookout......Stretch the boundries to reflect what they want then to.:rolleyes:

Wilderness "buffer" zones are illegal however wilderness study areas (WSAs) are not. We have fought the legalitys of buffer zones and won every time. Examples are the Clover springs trail in Naches and the copper city trail in naches. If it means something to you then start a fight with the FS district that the area falls into I cant imagine loosing since there is nothing in the wilderness law that allows "buffer" zones its just one of those imaginary rules that the greens like to use and never expect to be challenged. This of course depends on the fact that the trail or road was there prior to the wilderness designation. I know that the whole wildsky designation violated several acts of the roadless rule but it appears that the border was put along the road (trail) for a reason. The biggest problem your going to have is if the creek moves back into the trail even for a short time then fisheries will be your nightmare.

^^^^

Very well described......your words are much good.:redneck:

**Before the bridge, after the landslide of last year.** I always make the joke that everyone probably thinks there was a wave a water ripping the earth away, leaving the rocky destruction behind we now see. When actually is was probably a trickle of water accumulating to a babbling brook that lasted a day or two, slowly but surely clearing all soft material away; leaving the larger rocks.

I have been up there a few times this winter. One time Runnerpete and I hiked all the way up till we couldn't because of the snow and water rushing down the trail. I can assure you it wasn't just a little bit of water, nor was it for only a short time. It was most of this winter and it was about 80% of the total WINTER water flow that was cascading down that road. Late last year after Thanksgiving I was still able to drive to where the log bridge was. Driving through about 2-2 1/2 feet of rushing water. Judging from the times I was up there I think most of the actual damage was done around the time we had all that flooding and landslides January 5-10 2009.

Last edited: