• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Cordless Drill/Driver Opinions

ridered3

Not Rigless
I'm :fish: for opinons.

So my 18 volt Black and Decker cordless drill just got dropped by a buddy and shattered beyond repair. Been putting off buying a cordless drill/ driver for a few months. I know the major players in the market are Dewalt, Bosch, Black and Decker, etc...but I want to know what ya'll would recommend after using them.

I'm not looking for one to do commercial work with, but just need a good, reliable one for little projects mostly and maybe the occasional bigger project.

What brand and size do you recommend?
What do you like and dislike about it?

Whatever brand you go with look at the batteries, if they are put together with screws they can be rebuilt when they quit working right. I have had numerous Dewalt and craftsman batteries rebuilt cheaper than replacements cost. I've used a bunch of different brands commercially and the Dewalts and Makitas hold up the best. I can get parts for the Dewalts locally as well. We started using the Hilti stuff lately $$$$$ but get free tool repair and free battery replacement for 2 years, works out good because my guys are ROUGH on ****. Go Lithium ion fo sho.

Edit, I hate damn keyless chucks, every damn one lets a drill bit slip right before the hole finishes drilling out, I always end up tightening up on it with some channel locks so it defeats the purpose of the stupid things anyways. Rant off.

The rigid brand that home depot sales is guaranteed for life if you are original owner and register it within 90 days of purchase. Even cover the batteries!!!

go with Dewalt That's all I use and use them every day. Lowes has a special right know get a 1/2 hammer drill ,saw zall , charger , 2 18 volt batteries and a bag for $199.00 plus tax. It's the 18 volt verson. That's all I use in all my cordless and electric.

i hang gutters for a living and have used makita for as long as they have made them and will not use anything else. I have the 12 volt impact driver and have had the same one for 3 years and has survived 3 story falls. Havent tried the new lithium but have hear good things :dblthumb:

i have had my milwaukee set for a few years and have never had any problems out of them. home depot normally runs a sell on them, this time of year

Makita lithium all the way. I build houses for a living an have got them all, an use them on a daily basis. The Makita is the best by far. Battery life is great, chucks hold well. My .02

RIGID is all I will ever use since I have the lifetime warranty on the whole kit! You would be crazy to waste your money on anything else! Battery goes bad take it to the place in nashville sit it on the counter they hand you a brand new one! Kinda no brainer if ya ask me

im wtching this thread since im in the market for a new drill myself

ive always had good luck with craftsman profesional 18v and 19.2v myself other than new batteries cost almost half as much as the whole kit does so im open to another good drill

I had several cheap ones over the years including a B&D. Spent a little more on a DeWalt and it is awesome. Never had an issue with it

ridenrace6 said:
ive always had good luck with craftsman profesional 18v and 19.2v myself other than new batteries cost almost half as much as the whole kit does so im open to another good drill

I have the same batteries and had mine rebuilt at Batteries Plus for less than what new batteries cost, and they put higher amp/voltage batteries in them. The difference is very noticable in power and performance. :dblthumb:

Been in the tool business for 13 years sold lots of cordless Makita used to be the best stuff out there, lately quality has lowered, Dewalt good stuff and they just released the new 20v Li-on badass and light weight and 3 year warr, Milwuakee possibly the best stuff out right now 18v li-on has 5 year warr on the tools 2 years on reg battery and 3 years on the XC batteries.

Mil also has the web site if you have a problem with it they pay freight to them and back and the turn around time is only bout a week and a half.

Just my 2 cents :****:

we hang industrial window treatments and use the 18v lith ion makita with the impact driver, recently got the new 1/2 in 20v dewalt lith ion with driver combo. Don't really see the advantage of the 20v unless you are hammer drilling alot, plus its alittle heavier. Both are great, and i use the little driver waaaaayyyy more than the drill.

Milwaukee are complete garbage unless u wanna spend more time waiting on it to be fixed than using it. We got five drills for work and burned four up in less than two weeks.......got dewalts after this and have had 0 problems.