• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Crash tell me everything you know...

:corn:

*4.3 on the engine stand, about to attempt rebuild and swap*

I'm in for soaking up some knowledge...

There are after market harnesses for them or you can use the computer from the donor...

A ton of fleet Astro vans being pounded into the dirt on a daily basis by techs in a lot of different fields has to say something...

Good motor with lots of power--and very smooth thru the rmp ranges vs. my rattly tbi motor..

Really not much to tell pook without spacific questions..

Don't ask money mark---he doesn't even know where the spark plugs are :haha:

As for the tranny---well they pull heavy pigs all day long with no troubles...

But I pretty much known them things inside and out...(except the tranny---don't care to know them :redneck: )

So are the older 4.3 not as good as the vortec's?

Whats your opinion of the "rattly" feature? Is that the tbi or the non-vortec heads or the non-roller valvetrain?

Mines older but I was thinking of doing a full roller retrofit and running propane:cool:

Trying to figure out a good cam and also compression ratio for running propane on the 4.3, but that should prolly go in a whole other thread.

Whats your opinion of the "rattly" feature? Is that the tbi or the non-vortec heads or the non-roller valvetrain?

The 4.3L received a balance shaft for the 1992 MY. The 4.3L is a 90* V6 with offset/split journals to help with the vibration problems of a 90* V6. The 90*V6 with offset/split journals helps solve the firing order imbalance that would result if a 90*V6 had a "normal" crankshaft with shared journals on two adjacent cylinders. The pre-1992 4.3Ls had secondary balance issues due to the 90* V6 design that couldn't be solved by any amount of journal offset; so, GM decided to install a balancer shaft in 1992 to help counteract those forces.

The 4.3L received a balance shaft for the 1992 MY. The 4.3L is a 90* V6 with offset/split journals to help with the vibration problems of a 90* V6. The 90*V6 with offset/split journals helps solve the firing order imbalance that would result if a 90*V6 had a "normal" crankshaft with shared journals on two adjacent cylinders. The pre-1992 4.3Ls had secondary balance issues due to the 90* V6 design that couldn't be solved by any amount of journal offset; so, GM decided to install a balancer shaft in 1992 to help counteract those forces.

On the cpi motor yes--the tbi didn't get it till mid 94'....

:feedtroll:

Attachments

• NGK-sparkplug-main_Full.jpg
    NGK-sparkplug-main_Full.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 224
Nah, I am going for the no worries if it dies for $500 I can get another one kinda deal...lets me not worry about running out of oil pressure :awesomework:

What about a 5.3l, they are $550 at the portland LKQ yard and are 285-315hp from the factory. Another 100 hp for no extra work to put in if you have the drivetrain to take it. I just bought my third 4.3l from them for $280 (02' model, 68k miles, with warranty) and they have been awesome. Hell, they only want ~$900 for a 6.0l.

The engine is fine and dandy, but ditch the tranny if you can. That thing is a pos, it's the same one the HMMWV uses and it always gives us problems.

There are after market harnesses for them or you can use the computer from the donor...

If you use the computer from that 99 donor, you will have to have the VATS flashed out of the computer. 96 and 97 don't have vats, but they moved some of the wires around in the harness plugs after that. In other words, if you use a 99 harness and a 96 -97 computer, you will have to move some pins around at the computer plug ins.

If you use the computer from that 99 donor, you will have to have the VATS flashed out of the computer. 96 and 97 don't have vats, but they moved some of the wires around in the harness plugs after that. In other words, if you use a 99 harness and a 96 -97 computer, you will have to move some pins around at the computer plug ins.

For instance, Injectors 1 & 6 are in a different spots. So if you notice miss fires in those cylinders thats what it is, more than likely.