• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Crossing Stream on the way to Isabelle

awkragt

I heard that its illegal to cross that first stream on the way to lake Isabelle. (Rieter) Is this true, can you really get fined?

Hi All:

Yep, from my understanding it is technically illegal to cross May Creek because it might affect salmon, a federally protected aquatic critter.

I don't remember what I was told the fine $$ amount is.

Not that I have not crossed this creek a few times over the last ten years!

Regards,

Alan

Thats NOT my understanding...I was told that it was a DNR approved "hard bottom" crossing and perfectly legit.I've crossed it with Kim(DNR chick) watching sooooo.......

The way I understand it it's illegal to drive through any water on DNR land. If the DNR enforces this all of Reiter would be closed.

Thats NOT my understanding...I was told that it was a DNR approved "hard bottom" crossing and perfectly legit.I've crossed it with Kim(DNR chick) watching sooooo.......

Yep, crossing May Creek, as part of the Lake Izzy trail, causes no sediment or errosion at the crossing due to the hard (boulder) bottom, thus not causing problems down stream for the fish hatchery or other related salmon/fish habitat.

I just did a quik search and didn't find anything that says it's illegal to drive through water on DNR land. Kind of a catch 22 though is that it's a posted rule to "stay out of streams" or something along those lines. DNR can change rules any time they want but cannot change laws. Now the catch 22 is that this "rule" is posted and there is a LAW that says you must follow all posted rules......
It's a stretch but yes it's illegal.
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=332-52-400

The crossing at May Creek is part of the trail, the DNR rules state that you stay on the trail. If you are ****ing around and driving up & down the river then they will probably get a case of the ass and give ya a ticket.

Look at it another way.

If it were illegal and given the number of people that cross it why wouldn't they be there giving out tickets? It would be a cash cow for them and Fish & Wildlife.

:corn:

I agree you're not going to get a ticket for crossing May creek. It just reads like they could if they really wanted too.
It would be about the equivalent of a state trooper telling you it's OK to speed 5MPH over then giving you a ticket for doing it....Chicken **** but would probably stick.:rolleyes:

Look at it another way.

If it were illegal and given the number of people that cross it why wouldn't they be there giving out tickets? It would be a cash cow for them and Fish & Wildlife.

:corn:

There are plenty of things that are blatantly illegal they could write tickets for all day long if they choose.

I just did a quik search and didn't find anything that says it's illegal to drive through water on DNR land. Kind of a catch 22 though is that it's a posted rule to "stay out of streams" or something along those lines. DNR can change rules any time they want but cannot change laws. Now the catch 22 is that this "rule" is posted and there is a LAW that says you must follow all posted rules......
It's a stretch but yes it's illegal.
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=332-52-400

Thats how I have come to understand it...

But I do know of one person who was ticketed in that creek crossing (upper)

any ticket could be sucessfully won in court if you can show a state map that shows the road or trail crossing a stream.

lake isabel trail is a road on most state maps.

clearly shown on page 80 of the Washington Atlas and Gazetter.

Latest posts