• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

CTM 40 Spline or RCV's in a 14 Bolt Hybrid???

ryannuttz

Getting closer on a steering 14bolt build and weighing options. I want to do this once but at the same time not 100% break the bank.
Option 1
Talked to RCV yesterday about their shafts and if they are working on 40 spline 300m with a larger CV. He said yes but the drawback is they will not fit in a 60 style knuckle without rengineering them.
So that limits my option on knuckles. I would prefer staying with a knuckle similar to Solid/Rockcrusher/OEM instead of a fabricated like spydertrax. Does anyone know or have heard when Randy at OEM will be getting the cromoly knuckles in production? I just dont see 2K per corner when hes working on getting them down to 750 range.

Option 2
Also talked to Jack at CTM today about his 40 spline 300m fronts. Kinda pricey but look to be stout as hell and can run in a Solid knuckle.
I know Brian Gillespie has run the 40 spline stuff and Cole has 35 (I Think) But I havnt heard anybody else that has them or that has beat on them.

IDEAL: If OEM can get his knuckles made in chromo and treated to get the price down thats reasonable. Have him machine the knuckles to accept A 40 spline spindle ( no offense to Randy but I dont think a 14 will handle 2".)
This give me tons of different ways to go with axles. Big Ass OEM 2" necked to 40spline running the big violators, A bigger RCV, Custom 1550 ect.

I dont mind waiting on some of these new products to come out but I also want to get something going after the first of the year.

i personally think a 14/with RCVs is about as stout as you can possibly get for the price. CTMs jack up the money a decent amount more.

you didnt mention your powerplant/tire choice either.

what ever happened to those axles TC had build.. like rockweel and d60 parts.. i know they were heavy but how did they hold up?

98sierra said:
what ever happened to those axles TC had build.. like rockweel and d60 parts.. i know they were heavy but how did they hold up?

it was mostly all one off rockwell stuff. only a handful of guys have that stuff from ouverson. they went up for sale for a boat load of cash from what i read but im sure others can in form you that may know more. i dont think they were wheeled long enough to try and break them and then again, i dont know if he could have broke those things. they were burly as ****.

what i want to no is... there is all kinds of custom machineing for these axles but why has noone made a different gear ratio for rockwells? am i missing something?

kiyul4130 said:
i personally think a 14/with RCVs is about as stout as you can possibly get for the price. CTMs jack up the money a decent amount more.

you didnt mention your powerplant/tire choice either.

I know thats what im thinkin for the money. I can build 3 steering axles (shafts only) with RCVs VS building 2 with CTM. But on the otherhand if (thats a big word!!!) they hold up better then I dont mind payin alittle more.
RCV's warranty means alot too. But RCV told me a few months on their bigger CV'S so now that I know they're in the works I dont mind waiting a little longer. Just what knuckles?

I just dont want to be limited in the future. The drivetrain world is exploding and it takes ppl like TC and others tearing up stuff to push manufacturers to build better/stronger stuff.
I built some hybrid 609s back in 05 full of good stuff. At the time thought it was badass but the horsepower craze has made 4340 chromos and small R&P obsolete.

My powerplant will consist of a built 6.0l with tons of goodies from Texas speed.They are a couple of hrs from us.
Not really wanting Rocks. Not opposed to them but I want a axle I can build and put in any rig and not worry about clearance issues/ weight ect. that rocks bring on.

98sierra said:
what i want to no is... there is all kinds of custom machineing for these axles but why has noone made a different gear ratio for rockwells? am i missing something?

ouverson does. its a 4.90:1 ratio.

the bigger RCVs should fit in these
DSC_0137.jpg

TURNEROFFROAD said:
But I bet they have seen bunches of bind before that break

This isn't true at all. I have seen several of the RCV breaks first hand and the majority have no scarring from binding. Most break when the wheels are straight.

I have the same set of CTM shafts an joints in my buggy from when it was built. My buggy has been beat on a good bit and there has been a lot of water in the front tires before. I worry about the R&P more than I do about axle shafts. CTM stuff is badass but its expensive.

If you run RCV and start breaking them a lot they can pull the warranty from you.

ryannuttz said:
I know thats what im thinkin for the money. I can build 3 steering axles (shafts only) with RCVs VS building 2 with CTM. But on the otherhand if (thats a big word!!!) they hold up better then I dont mind payin alittle more.
RCV's warranty means alot too. But RCV told me a few months on their bigger CV'S so now that I know they're in the works I dont mind waiting a little longer. Just what knuckles?

I just dont want to be limited in the future. The drivetrain world is exploding and it takes ppl like TC and others tearing up stuff to push manufacturers to build better/stronger stuff.
I built some hybrid 609s back in 05 full of good stuff. At the time thought it was badass but the horsepower craze has made 4340 chromos and small R&P obsolete.

My powerplant will consist of a built 6.0l with tons of goodies from Texas speed.They are a couple of hrs from us.
Not really wanting Rocks. Not opposed to them but I want a axle I can build and put in any rig and not worry about clearance issues/ weight ect. that rocks bring on.

I know Tim can pop those CVs, but besides him, who else is breaking them at these events, and more than just once? what tires are you going to be running? honestly if your that worried about it, i would go with CTMs 40 spline inners, joints, 37 spline outers and you would be hard pressed to break that at all if ever. that all will fit in a aftermarket 60 style C/Knuckle.

gomer pyle said:
the bigger RCVs should fit in these
DSC_0137.jpg

AHH yes I saw these and def. not outta the question. Very nice machine work on the knuckles to the tubes. Best ive seen!
kiyul4130 said:
I know Tim can pop those CVs, but besides him, who else is breaking them at these events, and more than just once? what tires are you going to be running? honestly if your that worried about it, i would go with CTMs 40 spline inners, joints, 37 spline outers and you would be hard pressed to break that at all if ever. that all will fit in a aftermarket 60 style C/Knuckle.

I have seen numerous RCVS break for whatever reason. Im not really worried just doing my homework. Your right on the CTMS I guess im just wanting more feedback from others that may have beat on the 1.7 40 spline CTM's

Im not asking for them to be bullet proof but well matched to the 14 bolts potential.

kiyul4130 said:

Jordan Tanner breaks them like tooth picks, he broke 3 at one time at the Trucks gone wild event in Summertown. Pretty much if you make a true 600+hp there gonna explode. TC could break his every single time if he really wanted to.
You guys really think a CTM U-joint will hold up to the abuse?

Which brings us back to the big question do you really need 600 horse to climb obstacles? Seems like it's overkill and hard on parts.I know I couldn't personally afford to break every weekend, besides the frustration of taking a rig 3 hours away to ride some where and breaking right off the bat.

Cole said:

Thats the million dollar question! No I guess the question is will there be less failures with the 40 spline and CTMS.
Cole you've seen alot and thats why I am here asking for everyones input before i spend any dough!
I have seen the RCVs break shafts and CVS so upgrading to 40 spline would be benificial. Then.. what joint/Cv ?? OEM ROCKWELL??
Hell I know it cant be 100% bullet proof and I know this has been discussed, cussed, ect a gazillion times!
Thanks for all the good feedback. Thats what im looking for.

Cole said:
Jordan Tanner breaks them like tooth picks, he broke 3 at one time at the Trucks gone wild event in Summertown. Pretty much if you make a true 600+hp there gonna explode. TC could break his every single time if he really wanted to.

I think it could.

Elliott said:
Which brings us back to the big question do you really need 600 horse to climb obstacles? Seems like it's overkill and hard on parts.I know I couldn't personally afford to break every weekend, besides the frustration of taking a rig 3 hours away to ride some where and breaking right off the bat.

i dont think you need that kinda power at all. but it comes back to if you can have that kinda power, then why not?

ryannuttz said:
Thats the million dollar question! No I guess the question is will there be less failures with the 40 spline and CTMS.
Cole you've seen alot and thats why I am here asking for everyones input before i spend any dough!
I have seen the RCVs break shafts and CVS so upgrading to 40 spline would be benificial. Then.. what joint/Cv ?? OEM ROCKWELL??
Hell I know it cant be 100% bullet proof and I know this has been discussed, cussed, ect a gazillion times!
Thanks for all the good feedback. Thats what im looking for.

Id go with the CTMs and forget about it. you never hear about those shafts letting go these days vs the CVs. id choose those if money would allow it someday. Jack at CTM is a really nice guy to deal with. he talked me and my friends ear off about them when we had questions a few years back at KOH. I dont want to come off like an ass cause im really not trying to be but ive asked you twice what kinda rubber your going with. there is a big difference between beating on shafts with a 39 vs. a 47 or something. :)

Sorry kinda missed replying on the tires. We have a combination of shell rock /rock / loamy/clay depending on where we go. Stuff that can and will get loose. So the steeper longer climbs tend to get loose and need the skinny pedal to hook like the guys in Tenn and Bama. The best all around tire we run are TSL based. grooved or whatever . I dont ever see running bigger than a 44.

If you want the best and not to ever have to worry about axle breakage then this is what you need.

The center sections are Dana 80, letting you know since they aren't shown
badassaxle.jpg

badass2.jpg

Latest posts