• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

cummins auto's?

toyzuk

what year did they go to crap? im look'n at buyin a early to mid 90's dodge and the majority seems to be the auto's in my price range.

ive heard it's mainly the 99's

thanks.

Last edited:
From what I have gathered, they seem to be "okay" as long as the motor isn't bombed, the truck is not used to haul or tow heavy, and the transmission is serviced (fluid changed) every 25-30k miles.

Personally, when I was looking for a CTD, I figured that if I got one with automatic, I would "automatically" set aside $4k for when the time came to either put in a built one or swap to a manual transmission.

And truth be told, the NV4500 needs some $$$ thrown at it for it to be bombproof, too. Specifically a fully splined mainshaft/5th gear fix and a decent clutch. But it's still a lot less than a well built automatic will cost.

Boomer said:
From what I have gathered, they seem to be "okay" as long as the motor isn't bombed, the truck is not used to haul or tow heavy, and the transmission is serviced (fluid changed) every 25-30k miles.

Personally, when I was looking for a CTD, I figured that if I got one with automatic, I would "automatically" set aside $4k for when the time came to either put in a built one or swap to a manual transmission.

And truth be told, the NV4500 needs some $$$ thrown at it for it to be bombproof, too. Specifically a fully splined mainshaft/5th gear fix and a decent clutch. But it's still a lot less than a well built automatic will cost.

That really depends. When an auto goes boom. It typicaly doesn't do alot of damage to hard parts. When a manual goes boom---there is typically ALOT of damage to hard parts......

Yeah, but if your hard enough on that auto to fry it and just rebuild it to stock specs, it probably won't be long before it gets fried again.

And the NV4500 doesn't typically go boom, 5th gear just quietly disappears.

Boomer said:
Yeah, but if your hard enough on that auto to fry it and just rebuild it to stock specs, it probably won't be long before it gets fried again.

And the NV4500 doesn't typically go boom, 5th gear just quietly disappears.

Ask trevor at S&N about his fith gear and us having to pull the t-case out at the hammerz :redneck: **** broke lol....

crash said:
Ask trevor at S&N about his fith gear and us having to pull the t-case out at the hammerz :redneck: **** broke lol....

It's not there aren't forums full of stories about automatics being grenaded. They do have a bad reputation for a reason. :clappy:

Boomer said:
It's not there aren't forums full of stories about automatics being grenaded. They do have a bad reputation for a reason. :clappy:

Never said they didn't go boom :D

But you also don't always get the full stories on that type of stuff.

Like my job. I see nothing but the bad side of the chevrolet product--does that mean all chevy products are bad?

crash said:
Never said they didn't go boom :D

But you also don't always get the full stories on that type of stuff.

Like my job. I see nothing but the bad side of the chevrolet product--does that mean all chevy products are bad?

I hear you. Hell, if you were to base your purchasing decisions strictly on what you read on the internet, you'd never buy anything as all you hear about are problems. People tend to post problems hoping to find solutions rather than the other way around. You don't usually hear about the part that lasted a bazillion miles. Well, other than the Cummins engines themselves. :clappy:

Still, where there is smoke there is usually some fire. And there is an awful lot of smoke coming from the Dodge automatics behind those CTDs. Nothing insurmountable, just a few extra $$$. Kind of like the VP44 injection pumps. You might know a thing or two about them. :;

As far as Chevy products being bad, I noticed that you didn't buy a GM truck and have a rather distinct aversion to Ford products. :D

Last edited:
I used to drive a 94 Dodge 2500 deisel service truck and the tranny went on me twice. I also drove a 2001 dodge 2500 2 wheel drive truck deisel truck and pulled a 20' trailer with 6' sides to deliver semi truck tires to customers everyday for a year. The tranny went out on me between forks and port angeles. It first started going out about 2 months before that. When i was going up the on ramp to the freeway it would totally kick out of gear and when i let off the pedal it would go back into gear. I would say buy a stick.

Hmm,,got my dodge at 67K,,been towing a 12ft cab over camper,,4runner and trailer,,bikes,,whatever,,and now pushing 217K with my stock trans..yea,,they suck:rolleyes:

Guess its about taking care of them..so what if I change my fluid every 30k..its cheap easy and has made for a great life with my auto..:cheer:

mr4x42u said:
Hmm,,got my dodge at 67K,,been towing a 12ft cab over camper,,4runner and trailer,,bikes,,whatever,,and now pushing 217K with my stock trans..yea,,they suck:rolleyes:

Guess its about taking care of them..so what if I change my fluid every 30k..its cheap easy and has made for a great life with my auto..:cheer:
Looks like you were pretty lucky... I couldn't tell exactly why they are crapy (i.e. shafts are too small, line pressures arn't high enough, clutchs arn't strong enough). From what i've seen in person, driven, and learned from talking with the aftermarket transmission manufactures and how crappy those tranny's are i would stay as far away as possible. They just don't last, in comparision to what a manual will take. I understand its like comparing apples and oranges, but for the money you drop/will drop for an auto, compared for a manual its not worth the time or the money. Having your truck down for a week while your tranny gets rebuilt is not cool!

Last edited:
fine, i get it, buy a manual. now who wants to sell me their deisel with a manual for a good deal? :clappy:

To help it live longer I will be going with a
deep pan,
BD pressureloc
BD Torqloc.

I know its not a full blown BD trans but it will help it out nd the parts can be re-used on a new trany as well so its not waisted $$$ spent...

toyzuk said:
about how long till i have to worry about the 5 gear nut fallin off?

Dont get the suprise, Just have the money to do the work when you get the rig.

I have a 98.5 dodge with an auto. My truck has the ATS transmsison, with five Star Viskus Clutch Drive Torque Converter, Co-Pilot Electronic Lockup Controller, and the ATS High Performance Transmission Billet Shaft & Component Upgrades. You have just as much control as a manual trans. and just as tough. It costs a little bit more but I think it's worth it.