• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

cummins auto's?

94 thru 98.5 suck the big wang.... 98.5 thru 2002 suck just a little bit less. not much but a little less. the reason is some of the hard parts in the tranny are better built (some steel planetary gears instead of aluminum) your tranny will last alot longer if you do not tow in overdrive but in stock form the truck has the ability to kill the transmission over time. and even with a well built tranny it may to in OD for a long time it will still kill the life of it.

As for trevors tranny crapping... at this point we have had to replace about everything on the truck......since it went through a flood.... that senario was very rare.... and at least he could still TOW a 2 car trailer with 5th gone...... try to get an auto to even move when it goes boom!

Ahh, just wait and buy a new one. They're comming out with a six speed aisin auto thats suposed to be a fighter for the allison.

Jason C said:
Well..... I would be concerned with having an auto in my wheeler too if my trail rig weighed as much as a quadcab tow rig! :flipoff:

dIRECT kick in the nads :flipoff:

np205 said:
Ahh, just wait and buy a new one. They're comming out with a six speed aisin auto thats suposed to be a fighter for the allison.

And it will be hooked up to the first year 6.7 Cummins laden with tons of smog equipment. Guess I'd rather see how that all works out rather than being the guinee pig.

Boomer said:
And it will be hooked up to the first year 6.7 Cummins laden with tons of smog equipment. Guess I'd rather see how that all works out rather than being the guinee pig.

I've got a bunch of friends here at school who run'em in their combines, and different tractors, and absolutly love them! They've all said they can't kill'em...So i doubt there'll be many BIG problems.

I dont know if my 2 cents will really count, but in my limited experience, there are problems with the design and "upgrade" done by Dodge.

Most of the torqueflight transmission problems can be traced to:
1: a poor lube circuit, which can easily be upgraded, at a cost.
2: weak planets (because they dont get lube), upgradeable
3: a poor converter clutch lining that plugs the trans cooler, which prohibits lubrication to the overdrive clutches (where it enters first after leaving the cooler) upgradeable
4: a restrictive anti backflow valve on the cooler line for some models to keep the converter filled, fixable
5: a heat exchanger that got plugged by some of the convertor clutch material. (bypass is possible)
6: a filter that cannot filter enough fluid to keep the unit cool.
7: low fluid levels and poor coolers from the factory.

you can make this trans live, if you put the money into it. if you get a stock rebuild and dont opt for the good upgrades, youre effectively throwing your money away.

mudracer said:
I dont know if my 2 cents will really count, but in my limited experience, there are problems with the design and "upgrade" done by Dodge.

Most of the torqueflight transmission problems can be traced to:
1: a poor lube circuit, which can easily be upgraded, at a cost.
2: weak planets (because they dont get lube), upgradeable
3: a poor converter clutch lining that plugs the trans cooler, which prohibits lubrication to the overdrive clutches (where it enters first after leaving the cooler) upgradeable
4: a restrictive anti backflow valve on the cooler line for some models to keep the converter filled, fixable
5: a heat exchanger that got plugged by some of the convertor clutch material. (bypass is possible)
6: a filter that cannot filter enough fluid to keep the unit cool.
7: low fluid levels and poor coolers from the factory.

you can make this trans live, if you put the money into it. if you get a stock rebuild and dont opt for the good upgrades, youre effectively throwing your money away.

You are totaly correct waller.....

Throwing a reman stock trans in is a waiste of ALOT of $$$$.

A friend of mine owns a trans shop and related to me that when this trans suddenly loses overdrive, its time.

Overdrive clutches and the lock up feature in the convertor are related. when the lockup clutch erodes and is ripped from the face of the stock flexible convertor, the lining goes directly into the cooler, plugging it. this overheats the overdrive clutches, and ruins the trans shortly thereafter.

Dont believe it? follow the lube circuit inside the trans.

I've been looking for two months at diesels. Almost every used Dodge with an auto is advertised with 'new transmission'. That has turned me away from any Dodge's. Since I'm not as manly as J and Neck I'll stick with an auto.:flipoff:
That leads to this thread hi-jacking. What diesels have the most reliable automatic? There isn't a whole lot of choice, Ford or GM. So which is better?

Roger said:
I've been looking for two months at diesels. Almost every used Dodge with an auto is advertised with 'new transmission'. That has turned me away from any Dodge's. Since I'm not as manly as J and Neck I'll stick with an auto.:flipoff:
That leads to this thread hi-jacking. What diesels have the most reliable automatic? There isn't a whole lot of choice, Ford or GM. So which is better?

Whats this I hear roger--you getting a newer rig?

Have to. The GMC just hit 326,000, the drivers door won't hardly close, radio quit working, dome light has some short somewere and the rear end is banging pretty bad. I need something really reliable to haul the boat around. Never had a diesel and figured I might try one. I'd like to find a nice F250 or 350 PS. I was looking also at Dodges but like I said all most every one has just had a new auto transmission put in. That tells me they are not that reliable to start with and a cheap-o reman was installed just to get it sold. I'd like a 5 or 6 speed manual but my worn out joint's just can't move fast enough anymore. :mad:

Every automatic has its drawbacks.

Allisons design has been around since the 50s, in its basic form, and was used in medium duty trucks, and in a larger version in over the road semis. It is a reasonably strong trans, and, with proper maintenance, should outlast the diesel in front of it.

The E40d that Ford uses is an adaptation of the old tried and true C6 design. They updated it by adding overdrive, and electric solenoids to enhance shift quality. This trans is used in some form behind every thing from a 302 to a 7.3 and 6.0 diesels. Certainly, there are different hard parts inside, but they are all based on the same dimensions.

So.... if you want something engineered for use in a medium duty truck environment, the Allison is where its at. If you want a car trans that has been "upgraded", then you can get the E4OD, or R4-100.

again, just my 2 cents. Im sure other people have differing opinions.

edit: In my humble opinion, the best setup would have to be a cummins twin turbo in front of an allison, with propane injection. Put this package in the body style of your choice, and go. /edit

Last edited:
Roger said:
Have to. The GMC just hit 326,000, the drivers door won't hardly close, radio quit working, dome light has some short somewere and the rear end is banging pretty bad. I need something really reliable to haul the boat around. Never had a diesel and figured I might try one. I'd like to find a nice F250 or 350 PS. I was looking also at Dodges but like I said all most every one has just had a new auto transmission put in. That tells me they are not that reliable to start with and a cheap-o reman was installed just to get it sold. I'd like a 5 or 6 speed manual but my worn out joint's just can't move fast enough anymore. :mad:

Roger you crack me up (I seem to recall a conversation about this last year and why not to buy a new tow rig,lol).

but I will say even with the problems I had with my new dodge I really do love the truck...

mudracer said:
Every automatic has its drawbacks.

Allisons design has been around since the 50s, in its basic form, and was used in medium duty trucks, and in a larger version in over the road semis. It is a reasonably strong trans, and, with proper maintenance, should outlast the diesel in front of it.

The E40d that Ford uses is an adaptation of the old tried and true C6 design. They updated it by adding overdrive, and electric solenoids to enhance shift quality. This trans is used in some form behind every thing from a 302 to a 7.3 and 6.0 diesels. Certainly, there are different hard parts inside, but they are all based on the same dimensions.

So.... if you want something engineered for use in a medium duty truck environment, the Allison is where its at. If you want a car trans that has been "upgraded", then you can get the E4OD, or R4-100.

again, just my 2 cents. Im sure other people have differing opinions.

edit: In my humble opinion, the best setup would have to be a cummins twin turbo in front of an allison, with propane injection. Put this package in the body style of your choice, and go. /edit

I have to agree waller--we have only seen a couple alisons fail and one was a major and the others were due to noise issues--early production stuff...

One reason why when its time I will be having a good shop building me a tough trans..

As to everyone who says the autos are crap and need lots of money to fix and stay with a manual....my answer would be.....how many of you driving "stock" wheelin rigs? Didn't think so! Everyone "builds" them to meet their needs. It seems that there are just as many people out there with manuals that puke as well. Its just more publisized with the auto's:flipoff:

Just don't listen to joe schmoe at the local tranny shop.. If you want or have to replace your auto.. get someone who knows what they're doing!!

Yea Dodge autos are junk.. But I still want one.. Cause I know what you can do with em :flipoff:

Latest posts