• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

cummins issue

shane416ex

Driving along last night, just crusing at about 40 and my 02 cummins died. She really acted like I ran out of fuel. She shuddered, I looked up and my fuel psi gauge was under 10 then she quickly died.. Fuel was very low but not totally empty. Showed about 1/16 and the digital gauge showed 50 miles till empty. I've heard of an issue where these trucks run out but the gauge still shows fuel.I put fuel in but couldn't get it to prime after quite a few starter clicks and letting me raptor lift pump prime. Do I "have to" crack the injector lines to let air out? Is my vp44 completely grenaded? Any other opinions? Can the vp44 really just give up while running down the road with no warning? If I forgot any details feel free to ask I'll be checking back here all day.

Last edited:
Yes to everything there. Any codes? They can be a pain the get started after running them dry. I always have to crack some lines to get them going again.

Not a good idea to run any diesel that low..

Last edited:
No codes, no check engine light. I normally don't run it that low. I was close to home and had someone waiting on me. Lesson learned... :mad:

It is entirely possible the pump just **** the bed---but until you crack at least 1/2 the lines at the injectors and attempt to bleed the air out, I wouldn't jump to that...It still may have set a code without turning the light on (P0216 is usually a ""death"" code for the inj pump, and may not turn the light on...
Still, first things first, try to crack the lines and bleed...

That was my plan after work today, cut that ho and let her bleed! I've got my fingers crossed because a new vp44 will definitely put a hold on my home improvement plans. Start with the cheap stuff...

I'm really leaning towards the air lock scenario for two reasons. 1- I'm cheap and don't want to buy a new vp44. 2- I lost fuel pressure, and the sensor is connected at the bottom of the filter housing which I believe is before the vp44. The vp44 going out shouldn't make it lose pressure there right? In theory it would just quit running. I should point out I have pillar gauges and that's where the gauge sensor is connected.

Well I've done both. When the vp44 goes it's all over, just like you turned off the key. Running out of fuel gives the stutter and finally shuts off, like yours did. After running empty it takes a bit to get em primed back to running order. Probably have to crack 3 or 4 injectors to speed up the process. My fuel gauge acted dumb for many years but seem to work fine now. I could fill up and it would only show half tank or less, had to pay attention to the trip.

Truck runs! Must have run out of fuel even though the gauge still showed fuel. Took some doing but got her primed back up and going. The kid at work has the same truck and never gets it below 1/4 tank because this has happened to him twice. Shitty inaccurate gauge... Thanks for the input and suggestions guys. :awesomework:

When my VP44 died it gave me no warning, just boom done, stuck on the side of a hill.

Truck runs! Must have run out of fuel even though the gauge still showed fuel. Took some doing but got her primed back up and going. The kid at work has the same truck and never gets it below 1/4 tank because this has happened to him twice. Shitty inaccurate gauge... Thanks for the input and suggestions guys. :awesomework:

I learned this lesson the hard way on a 44' sailboat. I have dual tanks on my '97 PSD and I never run either tank below 1/4.