• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

D44 Diff Covers

Pat

Yesterday I put a nice dent in my rear diff cover so it's time to upgrade before I hit ring gear. My front D44 came with a stout cover, but the rear had a real flimsy one. Is this normal for stock axles to have better covers in front? If so could I find one of these front cover for my rear? Otherwise I'm wondering what's the best bang for buck with aftermarket? Solids got one for $100, seems to be the cheapest but is this a good buy?

You can get a stock cover that's damn near as thick as that Warn add on. Call Randy's. If you think you'll wreck it, then wrap a chunk of 1/4" x 2" flat bar around the curve on the cover and weld it on.

Yesterday I put a nice dent in my rear diff cover so it's time to upgrade before I hit ring gear. My front D44 came with a stout cover, but the rear had a real flimsy one. Is this normal for stock axles to have better covers in front? If so could I find one of these front cover for my rear? Otherwise I'm wondering what's the best bang for buck with aftermarket? Solids got one for $100, seems to be the cheapest but is this a good buy?
Yes it's normal for factory fronts to be thick, and factory rears to be thin. They are interchangable, so guys scavanged front covers for the rear of rigs. Proabably cost you $10 at a wrecking yard. And you won't dent one.

I like my Purple Cranium diff cover.
http://www.purplecranium.com/

IMGP0300.jpg

I use a "Rock Crusher" , it is hella thick and angled. I have taken acouple hard hits on it and it is just fine ! I paid like $49.99 for it. :awesomework:

My .02 Stop ramming into rocks. lol

There are a hundred out there, every Jack, John and Harry makes one. The often over looked aspects are: Attachment. Recessed bolts (allen head) will hold up better than not. Lip Thickness. Especially on the rear, unless you like a leaky diff. :redneck:

P.S. This is what happens when you wheel with a buggy-dude…...Replace/fix parts.:;

:beer:

Last edited:
Just go to a wrecking yard and get a factory front off of a wagoneer or chevy or ford... a million and one of them out there. Like Crusty said, they're just as thick as a lot of the aftermarket ones, and you can beef them up really easily with some extra steel. Cheap and easy... I have two front covers on my rig and haven't managed to dent them at all.

The only thing that would be nicer would be to have recessed allen head bolts because I'm pretty good at grinding the lower bolts into a pulp pretty easily... I just hammer a cheap socket on them when it's time to remove the cover for anything and replace as necessary.

Thanks for all the replys. I've the ground off lower bolt problem also and I like the idea of recessed fasteners, I hadn't thought of using that for diff cover bolts before. Since I'm a cheap ass I think I'll look for one of the thicker front covers and mabey add some steel. My front has only paint scratches from numerous encounters. Stop ramming into rocks what? Much to be learned from wheeling with those more experienced. I broke my **** at Reiter Pit!:awesomework:

if you go for one from the wrecking yard look for one from a high pinion ford. The oil fill is up a little higher and you can get more oil in the third.

if you go for one from the wrecking yard look for one from a high pinion ford. The oil fill is up a little higher and you can get more oil in the third.

Cool, thanks :awesomework: I could really use that with my high pinion angle, filling it is much easier in the shop than on some steep hill. :D

I have heard the same. Also heard that if you use a low pinion diff cover on a HP, you can get more oil in it also. :redneck:

OK now I am confused:scratchhead:

Pokey,

Jeepasourusrex's little cheesy grin is you clue that he's makin' **** up again. Take it with a BIG grain of salt.

You glad to help you out of your confusion friend,
TreeClimber

Latest posts