• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dad's stang...

So today my dad stopped by and dropped off the first/rev gear.

So I came home and dug right into the tranny. It went together smootly until I went to install the tailshaft housing. I found the countershaft pin was longer beyond the groove for the keyway so it was hitting the housing. It was simply a matter of pulling it and grinding the excess and wala....

So its all painted up now.

dad560.jpg

So I will let the paint dry tonight and tommorow throw it back in...

So I got the tranny in and everything bolted up.

dad561.jpg

dad562.jpg

I took it for a quick spin around the block and found it wasn't holding in 2nd gear(pretty sure the shift rod needed adjusted) and sure enough it was just a matter of a simple adjustment.

So today I got home and decided it was time to take it for a good test drive and get some gas in it. So me and my boy hopped in and went for a 1/2 hour drive. the trans sounds good and the brakes stopped pulling once everything got seated in. It really drove nice (I was impressed) and man did it turn heads.

So there was only one problem left to handle. Once in a while the temp/fuel/oil pressure guages would go dead. I pulled the cluster out enough to get to the back side and check the voltage at the temp guage. I found at times it would go from 4v to 0v and 1v to 0 volts. So I got out the schematics and started checking things out. Here is where I learned something new about the car. I found something on the back of the cluster that looked like a circuit breaker and I had constant B+ on one leg and the fluctuating voltage on the other.

So I did a bunch of reading and found it was actually a mechanical Voltage regulator--see something new. Well this one is bad.

So I found this write up on how to build one for under $10 that was solid state.

http://chris66dad.tripod.com/id29.html

So tommorow after breakfast with the family I will swing by radio shack and pick up the needed parts and whip it out.

That's a good failure. Usually when they go bad they put full voltage to the gauges, peg them, and let out the magic smoke if you don't kill the power.

So there was only one problem left to handle. Once in a while the temp/fuel/oil pressure guages would go dead. I pulled the cluster out enough to get to the back side and check the voltage at the temp guage. I found at times it would go from 4v to 0v and 1v to 0 volts. So I got out the schematics and started checking things out. Here is where I learned something new about the car. I found something on the back of the cluster that looked like a circuit breaker and I had constant B+ on one leg and the fluctuating voltage on the other.

So I did a bunch of reading and found it was actually a mechanical Voltage regulator--see something new. Well this one is bad.

So I found this write up on how to build one for under $10 that was solid state.

http://chris66dad.tripod.com/id29.html

So tommorow after breakfast with the family I will swing by radio shack and pick up the needed parts and whip it out.

Bitchen Mike. I enjoy building my own electrical doodads:cool:

That's a good failure. Usually when they go bad they put full voltage to the gauges, peg them, and let out the magic smoke if you don't kill the power.

That would suck!

That's a sweet modification....:awesomework: Good find (now bookmarked)...

:awesomework:

I love the magic smoke:redneck:

NO!!!

Bitchen Mike. I enjoy building my own electrical doodads:cool:

Me too

So I pulled the unit out and yes you can do it without pulling the cluster.

dad563.jpg

I stopped by radio shack this morning and grabbed the needed items. Total cost was like $5.

dad564.jpg

I started by folding the edge gently to get the cover off. Here you can see the mechanical setup--damn they did some goofy stuff back then.

dad565.jpg

So here is how I did it. Started by soldering the wires to the regulator and heat shrink. I then tinned a spot down in the old housing and on the eyelet of the regulator. Shoved the regulator down in the housing and soldered it to the housing. Bent the wires around and soldered the capacitors to the wires and heat shrink. Took the other end of the capacitors and wound the wires and soldered them to the same ground spot as the regulator.

dad566.jpg

I removed the old mechanical regulator parts from the cover. I then gently soldered the wires to the tabs to the cover. Everything to this point was tricky and slow but I was VERY determined to make this work (I just can't throw something together).

dad567.jpg

Now its very tight in the housing and the capacitors width made it so the cover could not be installed enough to bend the housing back over the cover(needed 1/16" more room). I just took some epoxy and epoxy'd the cover on. I think it turned out pretty good.

dad568.jpg

So before I put it in I tested it and checked the voltage and any other issues--the voltage was right on. I also polished all connections and threw it back in.

I started it up and the guages had never worked as good as they have--no goofy bouncing or anything.

So me and the kids hopped in and took it for another drive and everything was working perfect--made me very happy.

Well it looks like I have hit my mark and ready to close this chapter for now. I told my dad this morning the car would be ready in a couple days---well its READY NOW for him.

Thanks everybody who has read along in this project and the compliments.

So tonight I started cleaning and organizing all the old parts. In the morning I dig back into gibby's flatty....

So before I put it in I tested it and checked the voltage and any other issues--the voltage was right on. I also polished all connections and threw it back in.

I started it up and the guages had never worked as good as they have--no goofy bouncing or anything.

So me and the kids hopped in and took it for another drive and everything was working perfect--made me very happy.

Well it looks like I have hit my mark and ready to close this chapter for now. I told my dad this morning the car would be ready in a couple days---well its READY NOW for him.

Thanks everybody who has read along in this project and the compliments.

There is but one thing to say about this build (rebuild?) thread: :awesomework:

Okay, maybe two: :cheer:

Even though there were a couple of: :mad::mad:

But in the end: :cool:

My hat is off to you, Don, and all the other people that helped with this, Mike.