• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dad's stang...

crash2

-Oh no I picked a side-
I figured I would do a build thread.

As some may know my dad was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer.

My dad bought this thing over 10 years ago in hopes of restoring it. Well when they sold there big house in monroe they bought a smaller place on the lake and the car no longer had a garage to be stored in. So around 6 years it sat at my sisters house out in the elements and just got worse.

Well to help my dad and us we needed to get this thing up and going--but go above that and make it decent and something he could drive around.

He starts chemo tuesday and once he fights this thing off he's going to be cruising in style and they want to drive to california and take it down route 66.

So lets get this under way.

Don grabed a trailer and loaded it, wait he drug it because on wheel was locked up and blew a tire. I luckily had a spare and I was able to free the stuck wheel and here is how it looked right off the trailer.

dad1.jpg

dad2.jpg

dad3.jpg

dad4.jpg

dad5.jpg

Don brought over a pressure washer and thats where we started. I gave it a good soaking of Casteral Super clean and besides paint being blown off it---so was the green coating,lol..

dad6.jpg

dad7.jpg

dad8.jpg

We then gutted the interior. We are going to replace a bunch of interior stuff to make it nice.

dad9.jpg

Trusty old inline 6. This was a base model car.

dad10.jpg

I was going to start by getting it running to make sure there was no damage to the motor from freezing since it had sat for so long and I had no idea what the coolant was like(rad was very low).

I threw in a battery I had and the starter would not even enage. I started inspecting the wiring and first found the stock/glass fuse assemble rusted and falling apart but wasn't affecting the voltage feed to the ignition switch.

dad11.jpg

Well I inspected the ignition switch and thats when it simply fell apart. After some googling to figure out how to get the assembly apart here is what I had.

dad12.jpg

Heck I can fix that. I inspected it, cleaned it and assembled it and staked it back together.

dad13.jpg

Now it cranks but won't start. I simply cleaned the points off and the damn thing fired off and actually ran decent. My sister called my dad so he could hear it--he was rather inspired by that and excited.

So I got some new tune parts but I will need to do more. I need to drain the tank and tear the carb apart and clean it. I also found the vacuum advance doesn't work and the mechanical advance is stuck but I will deal with that later.

So its mainly me and my brother in law Don doing this. I basicly told Don he can handle the body--I hate body/paint work and he deals with it all the time. I will handle the rest.

So here is where we sit as of tonight. Done has most of the body stripped. He has a buddy who is a wizard at body work and he is bringing him over to inspect the car on wedsnesday. Once he looks at it we are hoping he can get it into his shop asap because what needs to be done is over mine and Dons head plus we want it to look nice.

dad14.jpg

dad15.jpg

dad16.jpg

I got it on jack stands and got the drums pulled to see what I gotta do there.

dad17.jpg

I got the interior all wire wheeled/cleaned. Its not perfect and we are going to deal with whats there and not dig deep into panel replacement due to the time factor we are dealing with.

dad18.jpg

dad19.jpg

There are a few VERY small holes in the driver floor pan at your feet. Its still very solid so we are going to just seal it up for now.

dad20.jpg

One thing I am going to fix is the driver seat mouting points. the driver seat base broke and caused this.

dad21.jpg

dad22.jpg

Wow, busy, busy beez!!!! :haha::awesomework::cool:
Um, the little holes in the floor? I'd go ahead and repair them now, as it won't take that long, and it'll be done....Our old stang was in worse shape than that, and in an afternoon the guy I bought it from and myself had the pan repaired and sealed up with the carpet back over it---drove it home!!!:awesomework:

For now we are keeping the I6 in it just so we can get it on the road asap and we have a limited budget on the parts side.

Once he kicks the cancer we will look to upgrades..

And yes kevin the pan can be replaced but we are trying to run a tight scedule and get it to a certain point as fast as we can.

Hell yea! That's awesome. Can't wait to see it finished.
My Dad and I are workin on restoring a 1978 Z28 Camaro.

I have a 460 in the garage your welcome to:redneck:

Otherwise I'm gonna do a true Rat Rod with it.....gonna be dangerous:D

Keep your eye on Craigslist for some Granada frontend parts and ditch the drums. I got my complete disc setup for $75 bucks, but it will also be 5 lug...

Wow. That looks like a lot of bodywork done under all that paint. Or did Don do some patching over the weekend as well?

Still, looks like a real fun project and I know there are a number of people that are going to enjoy watching the work being done AND the final results.

Best of luck to the family, Mike.

:: Sending a truck load of Elbow grease over:: along with a load or prayer to go with it. :awesomework:

its a 66 notice the length of fingers on the trim piece in the rear of the side indention. 65 had no fingers.

mike if you need any plugs or wires i have an original harness minus a couple of things ive needed over the years.

some misc front suspension parts... never know what i might have, if you need something call me first.

Last edited: