• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dana 44 8 bolt outers

Hip

I have 5 bolt outers and want 8 bolt.

Will the 8 bolt outers from a chevy ten bolt fit?

I have access to one free

Thanks Mike

As best i can measure without dissasembly they do appear to be the same.

Guess we will all know soon Ill find out.

Im going to assume your front end is a ford or dodge, not a scout 44.

The scout and ten bolt will swap but lose the steering arms that the scout had.

The ford and dodge will swap from the ball joints out.

The ford and early chevy d44 (not 10 bolt) share the same wheel bearings and can be swapped from the spindle/rotor out.

A mix of brakes can be made to work or swap to whatever matches the outers you use.

Ford calipers (dual piston) and Chevy calipers (single) are very different displacement.

All I have to add. :D

Like choppy said, what 5-bolt outers do you have and that will depend on what parts can mix/match, but your pretty safe with a knuckles-out replacement.

If you have the Ford outers with the 5-bolt spindle, I'm might be interested in them when you take them off.....

Long time no hear stranger :flipoff:

I have early bronco outers with .....the flat top knuckle. If possible id like to find the right combo because at the same time im gonna add hydro assist. Ill let you know when i actually do it.:redneck:

Open knuckle works to open knuckle as long as the inclination angle is the same. Not as sure on closed knuckle other than Jeep, Ford and IH look pretty close.

I've probably got most all the parts squirled. If you got a line on a free 10-bolt, grab it, gets you knuckles, stubs and spindles. Then all you need is wheel hubs and brake backing plates. Those I know I have a set.

Well i did it today

The whole reason i asked was a friend bought a non running chevy 4wd truck for $100. I bought it from him for the same price and he wants the utility bed off for a friend....

So today i swapped out the backing plates, hubs with 8 bolt with disc brake rotors. The spindles are the same so all bearings, seals, etc fit. The backing plates have about 1/4" difference in spacing for the calipers to line up with the rotors.

So i am replacing rotors as the donors are toast. Ill post picks tomorrow.:D

Ok had it all together brakes and all....but the locking hub would not quite fit. Turns out there is about 1/8" difference in spindle length. So had to swap the spindles also. Now its all done.

Now on to refreshing the leafsprings, been beating on them for a lot of years. New bushings and see if i can straighten a main leaf slight bend. 7 leaf waggys are getting hard to find.:redneck: