• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dana 44 Cv Joints

longfield

We are looking at Dana 44 CV joints. Watch Dana 44s has the big spindle holes? I know some of the Fords do but most of the other ones are to small for the CV to fit though the spindle hole.

THANKS

I can tell you that the 85 waggy and a 78 dodge (i think that was the year) Dana 44 do not have the larger hole... and The 74 or 5 Ford Dana 44 I put in a TJ has the larger hole. But that is about all I have worked with.

Fords are the only ones that I know about. I have Ford Knuckles and have been waiting for you to come out with CV's to fit them :awesomework:

CVs in 44s...looks like we've come full circle from the '90s where people were putting u-joints in their toyotas.

welcome to the dark side!:FIREdevil:

I have the longfield u-joints and am very happy with them, but the axles are weak. (Warn) The only way I can reliably run is to weld the caps into the axle to spread the stress over the whole ear instead of just on one side. But, that means I have to replace the caps whenever I bust an axle.

I would love to have some of the high strength cv's to run. I have heard they will take a lot more stress than the regular ears on an axle.

The other option would be axles that end in a yoke style end, with u-bolts holding the u-joints. like some of the comp rigs are running. but, nobody makes those either for a 44.

Bobby,
What about pulling the steering knuckle off the axle C, sliding in the CV shaft, then re-installing the steering knuckle??
And if you're interested in some real world testing, I'd love to test mule a set (provided I can get them in my axle) and I'd return them when back to you if'n you'd like. (I've got Warn shafts and CTMs now - so I'm good to go for strength - but my CTMs are a lot older than you've had joints available)
Tony

and for a late edit, I've got the Warn spindles that are CJ length (shorty), but fit a 30 splined shaft thru it. Not many kids on the block have a D44 with 30 splined inner and outer shafts. (I figured that's what most 60s have, so why not my 44) If Warn can make/buy their own spindle, why can't someone else.... and my initial post I was visualizing that you'ld have a hard time fitting the CV portion thru the hole in the steering knuckle, not that you'ld have a hard time fitting the axle shaft thru the spindle... my bad..

Last edited:
but the axles are weak. (Warn) The only way I can reliably run is to weld the caps into the axle to spread the stress over the whole ear instead of just on one side.

This surprises me. WARN shafts used to be the gold-standard of axles, and mine are probably 6 or 7 years old, with numerous trips to Moab, Rimrock, Rubicon and never had any issues. V8 powered, heavy turd, Atlas'd, Detroit'd, on 37 Krawlers. So I've been very happy with the Warns.

This surprises me. WARN shafts used to be the gold-standard of axles, and mine are probably 6 or 7 years old, with numerous trips to Moab, Rimrock, Rubicon and never had any issues. V8 powered, heavy turd, Atlas'd, Detroit'd, on 37 Krawlers. So I've been very happy with the Warns.

My original warns were fine. I bound one on Little sluice and destroyed it and both hubs all at once.(my fault)

Since then 3 outers in 6 months, all the same break (broke at "Y" into 3 pieces. Finally had enough @ $180 ea and put a Yukon in and it is holding fine so far, but I am very carefully not to get the tires bound up at all.

I have heard nothing but great things about the CV's holding up to big tires in the Toy's and would like to try a set. I have even thought about getting Toyota axles and building a spindle that fits my 44 that the Toyota axles will fit in.

I have heard nothing but great things about the CV's holding up to big tires in the Toy's and would like to try a set. I have even thought about getting Toyota axles and building a spindle that fits my 44 that the Toyota axles will fit in.

Well maybe Bobby will be looking for a couple of us fools, errr, I mean, heavy footed wheelers, to trial test a set or two...

Bobby, if you are indeed looking to do this, I can donate the use of My Jeep for a while for you to use to trial fit them, and would even pay the price of the 30 spline super set if I can keep them when you get them to work.

Front axle is 78 Ford High Pinion Dana 44 narrowed to Early Bronco width. Stock Ford parts.

4.3 v-6, NV4500, Atlas 3.8 Ford 9" rear, 39.5 Irok Radials

I emailed you guys last week, and someone called me and said that you would probably never build D44 Cv's, what happened now??

BTW it was a girl that called me back.

Probably Terra.

Keep calling... :D

If there is enough demand, (and I think there is) they might be worth making. I know there are a LOT of people on Pirate that are running ford axles that would love cv's for a decent cost.

What is the size difference between the different brands of spindles? How big does it need to be? I run a 76 waggy...

Waggy's have the smaller center hole like the chevy's. The u-joint barely makes it in through the knuckle, where-as the Ford has about a 1/2 extra room around the u-joint when installing the axle. Knuckle to spindle bolts=6 - small hole
spindle bolts=5 - big hole

The CV joints are about 3-5/8" across so the hole has to be a hair bigger. Yes we have been trying to take the knuckle off but once the birf is in there you can't get the knuckle back on. Right now we are makeing them for the Dana 30 uni-bearing, because they have a big spindle hole. Yes we are looking at some of the YJ an other uni-bearing, i need to find some info. on all of these some how.
THANKS

The CV joints are about 3-5/8" across so the hole has to be a hair bigger. Yes we have been trying to take the knuckle off but once the birf is in there you can't get the knuckle back on. Right now we are makeing them for the Dana 30 uni-bearing, because they have a big spindle hole. Yes we are looking at some of the YJ an other uni-bearing, i need to find some info. on all of these some how.
THANKS

No way..... I vote bobby long for president.:worship: Sign me up for the first set.

Bobby,
It's your expertise and quality that everybody's buying, but it would seem to an ignorant guy like myself, that from a marketing standpoint that fitting the CV to a standard chev / jeep housing would make a lot of sense. Is there a way to fit the CV into a 3.375 hole, at least that's what mine measure out to.
Tony