• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Deathwobble - 08 Cummins

Freeride

I've got an 08 Ram 3500 CTD 4x4, Quadcab, SRW with 24K miles on it. It has a 2" leveling kit in the front and 315/70R17 BFT ATs Load Range "D". The leveling kit and tires have been on for approx 14k miles.

On the way back from KOH towing a 7K lb car trailer I hit rough spots on on the highway that sent the truck and trailer into VIOLENT shakes. Shaking so bad it felt like the truck was coming apart. Stuff was flying into the air in the cab. I pulled over, did a visual check and everything appeared to be in order. Happened a couple more times and I ended up checking all the lug nuts, tire pressure, shifted weight around on the trailer, checked the receiver, visually checked out the steering components etc. Didn't find anything unusual. So I cruised back to WA and kept my speed low as it didn't seem to happen unless I was hammer down through the rough patches of highway.

Fast forward, I speculated that the problem was with the trailer being a little overloaded, maybe the tongue weight wasn't quite right, etc. Until today, when I was driving just the truck with no trailer through Bellevue on 405. I hit rough sections of freeway and the frontend of the truck went NUTS again. Exact same feeling as before. It felt like the truck was going to shake apart. I had to pull over and visually checked out the frontend. No obvious problems with the trackbar, TREs, draglink, tierod, etc.

I'm going to take the truck in to the dealer on Monday, but this seems bizarre. :looser:

Even the front of my 2wd wobbles a bit when you hit rough sections of road. Not the death wobble though, and it has no stabilizer.

The 2" leveling kit could have added to your issue as it's going to change geometry.

The 2" leveling kit could have added to your issue as it's going to change geometry.

Yep, seen it a bunch on the dodge trucks. The leveling kit slightly changed your caster. Very, very common problem!! Try playing with the caster shims on the lower link bolts on the axle.

Yep, seen it a bunch on the dodge trucks. The leveling kit slightly changed your caster. Very, very common problem!! Try playing with the caster shims on the lower link bolts on the axle.

This happened to my truck right after I put on my leveling kit, adjusted caster and I did not experience it again. It still would wobble, but not go crazy. With the addition of a new panhard bar the front end felt much better.

Are you sure it's in the front? Does the steering wheel shake. If not it could be your drive line. My truck is doing it at 50mph but found out that it was my drive-line.

3rd gens are a whole lot better then the 2nd gens. And the parts up front, with lower mileage really shouldn't have any issues (yet). So I'd have to agree with Trevor. I just can't picture it being anything else.

3rd gens are a whole lot better then the 2nd gens. And the parts up front, with lower mileage really shouldn't have any issues (yet). So I'd have to agree with Trevor. I just can't picture it being anything else.

Yep, I think you guys are right about it being the caster affected by the leveling kit. The only thing weird is I've had that leveling kit on for a year or so now and it's just recently started happening.

they just had a thing in off road adventures catolog the april 2009 issue page 80 about this. They said to look and see if your track rod has a tie rod or ball joint looking end on it ( the transverse link on the front axle) it may look like a bushing the say it is very common for the track link to fail. or the bushings in the track bar are worn. get under there and have someon wiglle youre steering wheel and see if anythings loose or moving. check you air press. in your tires also on a stock dodge with stock tires the min. tire press. to keep the wobbles from apearing is 45 psi but try upping yours in 5 lbs increments to see if that helps. also take your tires in and get them balanced if all else fails.

Yep, I think you guys are right about it being the caster affected by the leveling kit. The only thing weird is I've had that leveling kit on for a year or so now and it's just recently started happening.

It could have warn something pre-mature due to the caster being off and now you're starting to see it. Which means a caster change should help it. But now something is warn and might need to be replaced to get it back to what it was.

Dodge has released to solution, it is a one piece tie-rod and seperate track bar. They replaced the "Y"version where the track-bar attachs to the tie-rod. If you have a death wobble you should be able to upgrade under a TSB, I think. Make sure to ask about it while your in there. I also have a '08 with 3" leveling kit and never had a problem in 20K miles that its been installed.

Dodge has released to solution, it is a one piece tie-rod and seperate track bar. They replaced the "Y"version where the track-bar attachs to the tie-rod. If you have a death wobble you should be able to upgrade under a TSB, I think. Make sure to ask about it while your in there. I also have a '08 with 3" leveling kit and never had a problem in 20K miles that its been installed.
i may b wrong, but the track bar just connects the axle to the frame and is not connected to the 'y' bar steering, it just keeps the axle centered under the truck.

the "y" bar setup is for steering, yes the seperate tie rod and drag link assembly is a better upgrade though

Yeah that's what I was thinking about. When I was talking to one of the tech's he said it was to get rid of the wobble. Now most if not all of the trucks come with this set up.