• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Defender Buggy Build

no real updates but thought I would add a little tech - I learned something new when putting my motor together so I figured I would share

I started out with an 07 6.0 LQ4 truck motor - of course I wanted to get as much out of it as possible so I went to Lane Culver for advise. He has learned from past experience that the truck injectors are not sufficient for supplying a motor once you change the exhaust and add a cam. I decided to go ahead and upgrade the injectors so I wouldnt be fighting that battle on the dyno. I found a LS2 intake complete with injectors and throttle body for less than a set of aftermarket injectors so i went for it. with the LS2 intake you are also gaining a 90mm throttle body over the trucks 78mm. Once I had the truck harness cut down and the new injector plugs installed we hooked up the throttle body to test everything. It was a no go. I started doing some research and found out that you must use an X-link system from http://www.torquerush.com/ to make everything function properly.

I also found out that the truck waterpump must be modified to exit from the front like the car pumps do. This is due to the LS2 DBW throttle body controler protruding out to the left where the truck intake controler is on top. This was a problem for me considering the 07 truck pumps didnt even come with the boss on the front that could be cut out for a fitting to be welded in. So I also had to purchase a water pump for an older style truck motor.

The end product was worth the effort as I gained a larger injector, bigger throttle body, more clearance above the motor, and the appearance of the car intake.

Anything going on with this buggy. (pics) My buddy just ordered one about 3weeks ago. We cant wait to get started on it. Really like the chassis. We could use any info, does or donts while building.
Thanks
Mike

Took it back to EOR today, I brought it home for a week to install the gears and axles and tie up some loose ends. They will finish it out complete, hoping to make March of Dimes ride.

Nothing really stands out, it's a big chassis so it's real easy to work with !

onetoncrawler said:
Nothing really stands out, except the whole badass buggy !

Fixed :****:

This thing is damn sharp as hell. Daniel has built a hell of a ride....Quick too.

3253c6f7-cdd9-ce9e.jpg

3253c6f7-cdef-134d.jpg

3253c6f7-ce0e-c9da.jpg

3253c6f7-ce43-aade.jpg

Couple pics

EOR still knocking out the little stuff - panels are back from line-x, carrier bearing is mounted, steering is done

14ce6334.jpg

b2384248.jpg

d877d62f.jpg

03d1c8f9.jpg

the guys machine a .25" step in the aluminum tie rod to ensure the clamp wouldn't slip :driving:

9b6df487.jpg

Jon text me a pic last night around 9:30 , the guys are working 12-14 hour days trying to get this thing done . Big props to them for hanging in there late.

They got the front axle completed

3253c6f7-8c86-2d62.jpg

is your ram from eagle machine or somewhere else?i have been waiting for one from them for over a month and getting ready to look somewhere else. what orbital are you running? i have been waiting for a orbital for a month now also. i was told to get the 200-0758-002 orbital.not easy to get though. sorry for the detail questions but i am sick of waiting and wondering if there is other options. looks like you ram is a eagle machine.

Yes it is an eagle machine ram - I am not sure what the number of the steering valve is, i know its a PSC , Matlock may can answer that since he recommended it

I'm shocked Eagle machine is that far out on a ram, I've only been in there two or three times but they usually have several on the shelf

yea when i placed my order he said 2 days. then he said he was waiting on powerdercoat,then he said bushing then he said they were doing some testing and changed some stuff,seems to be something different every week.they are a hell of a nice piece and i am trying to be patient because i want one.but it has been over a month now and i still have nothing.seems kinda odd? i got my info from brian cole and this is what he said to run.so i wanted that same setup.just kinda holding me up now. thanks for the input. your looks sweet! do you know what number your orbital is?how many turn's lock to lock? i am just looking for a different solution if mine does not pan out.