• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Diesel Injector Cleaner

mark

Is there any crap out there that is worth a damn? That I can just pick up at the parts house?

My dirtymax is running like crap, I really need to take it up to Crash's new digs and really have it checked out, but I've been so busy right now I haven't had the time. It stumbles, surges, pings and every once in a while I can hear a knock/tick that from web searching I suspect is an intermittent stuck injector. Little smokier that it usually is, and smelly. Millage sucks.

Wondering if there is a wonder-goo I can run through to try and clean the injectors (maybe?) and smooth it out till I can really get it checked out. Or are all the "miracle liquids" not worth $$.

04.5, about 160K, about 6K on the last fuel filter change, I am due for an oil change however. Used to run 2-stroke oil with a fuel fill up, kind of fell off that the last year or so, but started again with the last fill up. Its been surging for a while off and on, but over the last month or so its gotten much worse. Thinking they changed to "winter fuel", but I also thought they didn't change it any more.

There is nothing that can "clean" a diesel injector. When they go its a mechanical failure within the injector.

Don't waist your $$ on snake oils for injectors.

Since you have a LLY more than likely its one or a couple injectors that are failing....

There is nothing that can "clean" a diesel injector. When they go its a mechanical failure within the injector.

Don't waist your $$ on snake oils for injectors.

Since you have a LLY more than likely its one or a couple injectors that are failing....
That's what I was suspecting. I suspect possibly the fuel pressure regulator as well (or it has a more specific name), I remember the last time I it looked at the readings we "weird", not necessarily bad, but out of 'normal'.

Any serious damage that can occur to other parts continuing to run it till I can get it up there? Other than the noise and poor idle etc.

as far as " nothing to clean out" i beg to differ. esp with bio fuels being added to diesel, the parifins and fatty acids do build up to some extent and affect injector performance. mike wouldnt have delt with it at a dealor level, but having built custom injectors and ran one of the most precise comonrail test stands in the country, ive seen it, and have proven the performance differance in back to back tests on dirty then clean injectors.
that said, there is no mirical cleaner.
what i have found works well is half a bottle of howes meaner cleaner in half a tank of diesel, then drive the truck hard till almost empty, then half the remainder in the two following tanks.
it will also help with a sticky fuel pressure regulator (FPR) or fuel control actuator (FCA)
with the age of your truck, i agree, prob several injectors ready to be replaced by now...

so, long storry short.. if you want to throw $15 worth of additive at it, it wont hurt, it'll disolve some of the crud thats slowly building up , and help the crap fuel quality thats been steadaly declineing since 2007

That's what I was suspecting. I suspect possibly the fuel pressure regulator as well (or it has a more specific name), I remember the last time I it looked at the readings we "weird", not necessarily bad, but out of 'normal'.

Any serious damage that can occur to other parts continuing to run it till I can get it up there? Other than the noise and poor idle etc.

The regulator solenoid on the back of the CP3 injection pump.

As far as the injectors more than likely not doing any damage but when you start getting a good abrupt knock (injector knock) its time..

I've tried a little bit of everything. In customers trucks with weird injector issues and stuff, the only product I've ever actually NOTICED a difference with is from Rev X oils.

I use the stanadyne fuel treatment every tank and the injector cleaner every 6 tanks. Don't know if it works or not but that's what I've done religiously since I got the truck and no problems yet

I use the stanadyne fuel treatment every tank and the injector cleaner every 6 tanks. Don't know if it works or not but that's what I've done religiously since I got the truck and no problems yet

Stanadyne is a great preventative additive..

20151111_191138_zpsihedsxlh.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]