• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Diesel or Gas???

evergreen diesel up in monroe usualy has a few fords up for sale. http://www.evergreendiesels.com/vehicles_for_sale/

finding a 6speed around here is tough! most people are lazy, want the auto. a heavy diesel clutch is the last thing most people want when stuck in traffic... lol.. and with fords, what 5% maby were 6 speeds? best bet to grab one is to look @ craigs list in farm areas ie montana, tx etc fly out drive home. plus trucks are cheeper out there.

evergreen diesel up in monroe usualy has a few fords up for sale. http://www.evergreendiesels.com/vehicles_for_sale/

finding a 6speed around here is tough! most people are lazy, want the auto. a heavy diesel clutch is the last thing most people want when stuck in traffic... lol.. and with fords, what 5% maby were 6 speeds? best bet to grab one is to look @ craigs list in farm areas ie montana, tx etc fly out drive home. plus trucks are cheeper out there.

Thats a good idea on looking out of state. I have looked in TX cause the GF used to live there and told me trucks are cheaper but only problem down there is you wont find many 4x4. Most are 2x4 and i need 4x4 up here. Montana would be a better place to look. Ill check Craigslist for that area.

Go for gas. Less power, worse MPG, more expensive to get improved performance. All the benefits, none of the drawbacks.:awesomework:

Gas or Diesel

Pretty simple, if you plan on keeping it a long time, go diesel. The gassers are cheaper to start with but a new engine at 200,000 miles will make up the difference. Yes, I know someone will chime in with the 500,000 mile gas engine that has pulled a million pounds all it's life, but they are the exception not the rule.

Diesel is more expensive, but the mileage difference makes the fuel cost pretty much a wash.

Power wise, there is no comparison. The Diesel will build more torque than any of the gassers ever dreamed of. Horsepower is nice, but torque gets the work done.

The 7.3 is hands down your best choice. The Superduty is your best bet, and if any modifications are in your future, shoot for the late 99 to 2000. They have the stronger forged rods. The 94.5 to 97's had forged too, but they weren't intercooled from the factory and they ride like poo poo compared to the Superduty. Cab is more comfortable on the Superduty too.

Throw a good intake on it, open up the exhaust and run a good custom tune. That combo will produce decent economy and plenty of power to pull just about anything you want to. Plus if you run a multi position chip, you can play with your tunes depending on what your doing.

I agree that the 6 speed is the better choice in transmissions. Run it till the factory clutch pukes then upgrade the clutch and it will be trouble free after that.

All that said, I get around 13 mpg city and 16-17 freeway with my late 99 6 speed. Keep in mind those numbers are on 38's with 3.73 gears so it's turning about 1750 rpm on the freeway at 70.

Last edited:
Better check your math again. I don't know of many Diesels that (truly) get 20 mpg in a situation that a gasser only gets 10.

Maybe an older big-block, towing hard at 7-8 MPG, but then you'd have to be getting 14-16 mpg in the same situation. My truck is hard pressed to get a consistent 16 mpg in normal DD (city/rural with short freeway).

Diesels DO tend to do better than their gasser counterpart, but its not double apples-to-apples. Any you can tweak a Diesel to do even better, but how much $$ you going to dump for howmuch gain (purely MPG wise).

So unless you really need the extra power of a diesel. Don't get me wrong, the pulling power of a diesel is insane. Do I get any better mileage? No I don

The cost of used Diesels are not much more than a used gas truck. The major difference is at 100k a gasser is about used up, where as a diesel is just getting broke in.

Fuel may cost more, but I do use less of it. I have yet to see a gasser version of my truck get 18mpg around town.

Maintenance is a wash. Any major repair is going to be costly, be it gas or diesel engine. I've never had to change the spark plugs, wires, cap/rotor in my Diesel.:redneck:

The insurance on my truck is lower than if I drove a gasser. They made a mistake on my insurance and had it listed as a gasser. I called them and told them it was listed incorrectly and they fixed it. My cost every 6mos went down almost $200..

I have owned both(diesels-97 PSD, 06 CTD, GAS-85 Suburban 454, 82 Chev dually, 01 chev 5.3) that I have used for daily driver and towing on the weekend. This is the positives and negatives from my experiences.

Gasser- Cheaper to buy, cheaper fuel. Thats it.

Diesel- Better freeway fuel mileage both towing and not.
More power, its not even close.
Motor lasts longer, alot longer.
Better resale value tho its costs more to buy also.
In my experience cheaper to maintain(tho maint needs to be done).
The ability to really piss of the tree hugger in the next lane sipping his/her latte by smoking them out.:D

IN CLOSING- Todays newer diesel is the superior in almost in every way compared to a gasser.:;

diesel assume 20mpg, $4.25/gal
100miles = 5gal = $21.25

gas assume 15mpg, $3.75/gal
100miles = 6.667gal = $25.01

thats $3.76/100 miles more for a gasser , not as big of a fuel savings as mos people think. a couple years ago the difference was huge! then again, diesel was about the same price as premium. hell, i remember the days when diesel was $0.89/gal and reg was $1.09...

anyways...if towing is in your future, buy the most truck you can aford, it'll pay off in the long run.

Thank you all for your input and advise! :beer:

I am set on a diesel considering i have driven my truck 100 to 160 miles round trip 6 times in the last 8 weekends...I only get about 12 to 16 mpg in my yota so if i can get the same or better with a diesel and not put the wear on my truck while traveling then ill be happy!
And the piece of mind knowing all i gotta do is roll it to the trailer if needed will be great.
Now comes the waiting game...Gotta have around $200K, 4x4 and 6 speed and 99-02. Yeah i know im picky!

Thank you all again and happy snow weelin!!! Its been great so far! :awesomework:

I have owned both(diesels-97 PSD, 06 CTD, GAS-85 Suburban 454, 82 Chev dually, 01 chev 5.3) that I have used for daily driver and towing on the weekend. This is the positives and negatives from my experiences.

Gasser- Cheaper to buy, cheaper fuel. Thats it.

Diesel- Better freeway fuel mileage both towing and not.
More power, its not even close.
Motor lasts longer, alot longer.
Better resale value tho its costs more to buy also.
In my experience cheaper to maintain(tho maint needs to be done).
The ability to really piss of the tree hugger in the next lane sipping his/her latte by smoking them out.:D

IN CLOSING- Todays newer diesel is the superior in almost in every way compared to a gasser.:;

I don't agree with all of what you have listed above...

Diesel has more Torque, not necessarily more power.

The motor may last longer, but the rest of the truck will still wear out the same.

Maintenace and repairs cost more on Diesel motors as compared to a gasser.