• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Diesel or Gas???

I don't agree with all of what you have listed above...

Diesel has more Torque, not necessarily more power.

Late 90's - early 2000's Ford V8 had 260 hp.. The diesel had 275
Late 90's - early 2000's Dodge V8 had 245 hp.. The diesel was the same

Now plug in a simple programmer to the diesel or the gas and see which one nets more.

Add the much higher torque ratings to hp numbers that are similar if not better then the gasser. The chance to do one simple thing and get way better in both. Then yea, it's safe to say it has more power on average.

I just used those years because that's what the OP was looking at. It wouldn't be much different for any other year.

I don't agree with all of what you have listed above...

Diesel has more Torque, not necessarily more power.

The motor may last longer, but the rest of the truck will still wear out the same.

Maintenace and repairs cost more on Diesel motors as compared to a gasser.
Blah, Blah, Blah the diesel is still a far better option when you consider pulling power(Torque or whatever you want to call it). On the truck wearing out, sure but the wear can be fixed. Bottom line is tho that when a gasser that has been towed alot hits 150-200K it will get thrown into the scrap pile because its not worth putting money into. On the other hand people are still willing to buy, and repair the diesel trucks over the years wear due to the fact that it has a longer life engine in it. On the maintenence, sure its more expensive to work on a diesel but the longer you keep it the more its saved you money in a nutshell(usually not needing a motor). By that time in a gasser you would have already replaced the engine so IMO costs offset each other.:;

Blah, Blah, Blah the diesel is still a far better option when you consider pulling power(Torque or whatever you want to call it). On the truck wearing out, sure but the wear can be fixed. Bottom line is tho that when a gasser that has been towed alot hits 150-200K it will get thrown into the scrap pile because its not worth putting money into. On the other hand people are still willing to buy, and repair the diesel trucks over the years wear due to the fact that it has a longer life engine in it. On the maintenence, sure its more expensive to work on a diesel but the longer you keep it the more its saved you money in a nutshell(usually not needing a motor). By that time in a gasser you would have already replaced the engine so IMO costs offset each other.:;

Let me get this straight, you're trying to tell me about the longevity of Diesels trucks and what it takes to repair & maintain them....that's funny as ****ing hell Mike :haha:

Let me get this straight, you're trying to tell me about the longevity of Diesels trucks and what it takes to repair & maintain them....that's funny as ****ing hell Mike :haha:
Your not talking to a rookie here either, just backing up my points there Bradley. Fawker.:fawkdancesmiley:

I LOVE the way my 1/2 ton hemi dodge tows. Two wheeler reg. cab long bed. Plenty of power. My old lady drives it to work, and it gets close to 20 mpg by her math. The whole multi displacement system sounds kinda wierd outta 3" flowmaster exhaust when it cuts a cylinder though. Oh and a afe intake. That said, I am buying a reg. cab 6 speed cummins 4x4 when this one is paid off:flipoff:

im guessing you didnt call evergreen..... they had an 01 6sp for a couple days... sold almost instantly...
http://www.evergreendiesels.com/vehicles_for_sale/1/53/

they buy trucks all the time, call them know what you want, the'll look for one for you.

Yeah id have to say im an idiot on that part. I work at Costco right next to evergreen and hadent even though about going there. I dont usually like working with a dealer but like you said they buy trucks so they will have better resources than me.
Thanks for the heads up! Ill give them a call when i get off today.

New Rig

After months and months of going back and forth on what i want and waht is available i have finally picked myself up a tow rig!!! :D

It is a 2000 F250 7.3L 6 speed 4x4 with 150K miles.
Came with a Banks turbo back exhaust, Air filter system and a Superchips Programmer. Only 2 settings, tow safe and High performance.
Also has airbags in the rear and a jake break and even a 12K lb Mile Marker winch behind the "bubba" bumper.
All new tires, Toyo M/T's on Lariate wheels.
Has 2 pillar pods, 1 for EGT and the other is for boost.
Has a canopy which i dont like too much but it will be convienent.
Not my favorite color either but its growing on me.
Interior is in immaculate condition for being 12 years old! Not a single stain in the carpets or cloth and the dash is scratch and crack free!

All in all i think i got a good deal and it has EVERYTHING i have been wanting.

Here she is!

NewTruck.jpg

TruckInterior.jpg

Thanks for looking, just wanted to share my excitement!
That is all. Have a great day and enjoy your guys 4th!!!

Thanks guys. Its a great rig and runs even beter.

Took it over east this weekend (didnt tow anythign) and it did the pass at 75 no problem. Got my EGT up to about 850 degree tho. Is this ok even if not towing anyhtign?
I have read that i shouldnt go over 1250 for long periods of time. I wasnt towing and hit 850, will it heat up much more towing say 10K lbs?
I notice im at about 400 to 600 in the city. Is running a constant 900 to 1100 degreese bad for the engine?
Im new to all this diesel stuff so i have been reading A LOT!

What programmers do you all reccomend and what type of fuel mielage are you getting when not towing? This will be my DD for a while so any tips on better MPG would be great.

Thanks. :beer:

shoot mine runs about 1600 gettin on it tryin to race the little tuner cars and whoever else i can get to lol. 850 is just fine. i havent melted my motor down, yet lol. if i remember right after doing a bunch of fuel stuff before i got my bigger turbo i was runnin like 2100, yikes.

Where is the probe? Pre Turbo you are plenty fine at 1250. Both cummins and international say that. With the newer trucks able withstand higher temps due to emissions. I ran mine at 1300 all the way up vantage at 22k. My Dad ran hotter at 1350 with his 05 at 26k. But I asked him not to do that again :rolleyes:. No ill effects from either. Short sprints you can take it higher (seconds). I use to watch my EGT's go past 1600 with ease and point straight down. Thankfully aftermarket support is a bit better nowadays and a well tuned street truck doesn't need to do that. But if your Pyro is post Turbo, it's very difficult to get an accurate reading and should be relocated.

Last edited: