• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Diesel Work Truck questions

xjoffroad

Well the suburban isnt cutting it for work anymore. I haul around a 8ft cargo master trailer and drive from seattle to portland every week so in the market for a diesel. I need a crew cab and have been looking at 99-01 crew cab fords and also crew cab duramax's. Looked at dodge but their so called "crew cab" is very small.

Not a huge ford fan but they seem to be in my price range. How are the trans on these? looking at the 7.3 not the 6.0 because of the 6.0 issues. Any years I should stay away from? what should I watch out for?

I love the crew cab duramax's but whats in my price range are the years that had injector issues. should I stay away from them because of the injector problems? What should I look out for?

Thinking I wont use a programmer on this truck but who knows. Thoughts Ideas?

The earlier D-max's should have had their injector issues handled, given the P.o. took care of their rig :eeek:....you might hit crash up for the low-down on them...

The earlier D-max's should have had their injector issues handled, given the P.o. took care of their rig :eeek:....you might hit crash up for the low-down on them...

this is true. my only issue would be, do they go out again? the replacement are the same design as the old one, right?

They all have their issues. I wouldn't let that steer you away from the truck you want. If you want a chevy, get the chevy.

this is true. my only issue would be, do they go out again? the replacement are the same design as the old one, right?

They were supposed to be updated to remedy the issue they had, but I can't say for sure....crash should be able to answer that question...

Work Truck

I don't know the D-max very well, but I do know the Fords. 99-early03 is the range to look at. The 7.3 is great but i am not a big fan of the 4r100. It is better than the E4OD was, but they still aren't that tuff. I would look for a 7.3 with a 6 speed manual, that is the best combo out there in a Superduty.

I don't know the D-max very well, but I do know the Fords. 99-early03 is the range to look at. The 7.3 is great but i am not a big fan of the 4r100. It is better than the E4OD was, but they still aren't that tuff. I would look for a 7.3 with a 6 speed manual, that is the best combo out there in a Superduty.

I totally agree I have a 96 7.3 wonderful engine. I have over 260,000 miles and she is running strong. The 99-03 is one of the best gens of the 7.3. I also agree with Broncoguy get a manual. Fords automatic tranmissions are not the greatest. The Cummings is also a great engine. If you want a purely mechanical one go with the 12 valve (early to mid 90's) if you want electric go with the 24 valve (mid 90's to present) I dont know much about the duramax so I cant say anything about them. Diesels are also fun to pull power out of...there is a ton of it and they last forever. Plus nothing more satifying then that cloud of black smoke:D

Last edited:
I've had good luck with my 2000 7.3 4R-100 Superduty. 225,000 miles and going strong. Front seal went out on the trans at IIRC about 180,000 so I had it rebuilt even though it wored fine.
There are lots of good trucks out there in all brands.:awesomework:

It's going to be pretty difficult to find exactly what you want (Ford wise), with a manual.. You'd be plenty happy with an auto.

drove a 2000 f250 7.3 diesel and a 2004 gmc duramax this weekend. hands down the duramax had more guts to it and rode SO much nicer. pretty sure I will be getting a duramax (chev or GMC) soon. thanks for all the comments :awesomework: