• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

"Dirty girl" A White Trash Fab build

Re: Re: "Dirty girl" A White Trash Fab build

TBItoy said:
Looks like you did that front axle the same way lickliter did mine, no tube added. I was wondering how a artec d60 truss would fit. I assume it's a 79 model 60 truss?

So I have a really stupid question: you basically cut one side of a rear down and welded the Cs on? How wide is that going to make it?

Re: Re: Re: Re: "Dirty girl" A White Trash Fab build

grcthird said:
So I have a really stupid question: you basically cut one side of a rear down and welded the Cs on? How wide is that going to make it?

Mine with super duty outers is about 66-67"

The pass side tube is as long as possible, so as you cut the driver tube, it "moves" the diff closer to the driver side.

The pinion is offset 6.5" from the center of the axle

The diff cover looks "more centered" than a normal front axle when you look at it straight on

grcthird said:
In very basic terms yes. In reality a lot of measuring and figuring to make all the components would work together. See pics below and notice how the ram skid fits right in between the knuckles and is almost centered even though it was made for a ford 60.
TBItoy said:
Mine with super duty outers is about 66-67"

The pass side tube is as long as possible, so as you cut the driver tube, it "moves" the diff closer to the driver side.

The pinion is offset 6.5" from the center of the axle

The diff cover looks "more centered" than a normal front axle when you look at it straight on
This is correct, the cut on the passenger tube is past where the original brake flange was and this was only possible with a dually axle with out having to retube or have the diff damn near in the center that wouldn't work on this build. Wms is gonna be 65 to match the rear, outside the tire will be 84" on the 43's.
Tonights progress,
Got the front axle skid modified and tacked on.

Started on the upper truss, every piece has to be cut to fit. Spent 3.5 hrs and still not done mocking it up.

those axels look awesome cant wait to see the rest of the build gonna be watchin this one nice work guys

Wilson stopped in today and helped with the shave on the front axle.

Wow this pic is really shitty.

Started dropping dimes on the rear axle.

My little girl helping out today, bolting in the truss bridge.

Front truss all mocked up.

Extra support trimed to fit in.

Make sure that front diff cover can come off. From the looks of it, it can't.
Nice work on the backbone, you are going to see lots of those on the trail next year.

It slips in and out no problems, that bolt in piece is not going to be welded to the cover but I am going to radius the corners on the cuts.

TBItoy said:
How about with the ring gear in place?
Yea it was test fit in and out with the gears and spool in it.
Todays progress.
Turns out my chassis stand works great for rolling a axle around for weld up.

Still need to weld the shave on but need gas for the torch to preheat.
Went ahead and tigged the inner side of the C's.

Hadley stopped in with an bunch of RuffStuff goodies, 1 1/4" hiems for all the links and a bunch of brackets and tabs.

RuffStuff rear upper link mount tacked on, I may cut an inch out of it need to play with the link calc some more.

Drilling brackets out to 3/4" brings the suck.

Built the rear axle side lower link mounts, started with some 3/8" RuffStuff link tabs on left.
Drilled them out to .750" and made a hiem spacer .005 wider than the hiems and bolted together.

Cut a stiffing plates out of 3/16" plate and mocked it up on the left over chunk from the front axle cut and welded it up.

Pass side tacked on.

Looks like the brake bracket will need to be clearanced to be able to get the link bolt out without removing brakes.

Both sides tacked on.

Are You Not Entertained? :flipoff1:

Started off tonight with building front lower link mounts.

Have them set at the same down slope as the front skid so I can extend the front skid back to be skids for the link mounts.

Then Hadley stopped in with one of the 43's, the fully upgraded atlas 2speed with 32 spline in and outs and the th400 we will be rebuilding on sunday.

Also 6.0l of motavation.

Technician said:
This is ****ing awesome :afro:
I know right. :dblthumb:
Got some Wide Open Designs ls engine plates and frame side shock mounts.

Fought with the Ls that did not want to go on my engine stand and had to get Jeffs (helps to have wheeling buddys that live a 1/4 mile away) then started stripping off some of the parts not being used.