• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Do it all over...

Eddyj

If you had the chance to go back and start from scratch, what would you start with?

I'd start with a square body 1 ton just to have the driveline.
Now that I have a full tube chassis I'm getting the hankering for a 1 ton YJ with 4 seats for my kiddos to ride with me and drive it a little on the streetz

I always see people rolling down the trail in a built ZJ or amigo and think "I wonder what happened to get to this point?"

I wish i would've just started with my buggy instead of spending a ton basically rebuilding my yj first. Now I'd like to sell the yj since I never drive it and will likely get raped on it if I can even find a buyer. That being said, I'm building another yj for the wife right now. Anyone wanna buy a yj? :****:

Beerj said:
I wish i would've just started with my buggy instead of spending a ton basically rebuilding my yj first. Now I'd like to sell the yj since I never drive it and will likely get raped on it if I can even find a buyer. That being said, I'm building another yj for the wife right now. Anyone wanna buy a yj? :****:

Details man details...... :dunno:

I wish I would've kept the 1st or 2nd vehicle that I ever bought on my own and built them over the years instead of buying, selling and trading all the time. I could probably have a pretty bad ass and capable rig right now.

The 1st was a 1986 Dodge W150 reg cab short bed with a freshly built 318 and 727.

The 2nd was a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 reg cab short bed Off-Road package, 360 magnum, 4.10 gears, Trac-loks f&r.

It all started with a samari on 33's. Moved on to an xj on 35's and now I have a yj on one tons and 43's. Now the group I ride with are going to grand Cherokee's. We went on our first ride together yesterday. Man I'll tell ya, it was nice to load up back with supplies, cruise down the highway at 70 mph with heat and a comfy ride. We rode all over pumpjack and took back roads on the way back home. We had to pull a tow strap out a couple times but it was a fun trip. I liked it so well I'm going to look at another zj today so I don't kill my daily driver.

I wouldn't do any of it over, I wanted a buggy and I've had one a while. Now that I realize that I could be riding this weekend I want something with heat. I'm thinking 4 door tintop zuk, chop the top low as possible, LS, or sbc, tons 43, exo cage rat rod style! :****:

poolman said:
I wouldn't do any of it over, I wanted a buggy and I've had one a while. Now that I realize that I could be riding this weekend I want something with heat. I'm thinking 4 door tintop zuk, chop the top low as possible, LS, or sbc, tons 43, exo cage rat rod style! :****:
Sounds like you just need to chop the cage off of your buggy and stick a sammi body on it. Lol

I want a rig that can handle and utalize 43 stickies, don't get me wrong...
But, the most fun you can have in the woods is a stock ish Cherokee with cut fenders and the tallest, skinny, light tire you can find (think 34x10.5)... You may end up putting an 8.8 or 44 in the rear and you'll have no straight body panels left eventually, but a Xj/Zj on 34s will last and you will have more fun than you could possibly imagine. Plus you could drive it to the store with heat and air conditioning

muddinmetal said:
I want a rig that can handle and utalize 43 stickies, don't get me wrong...
But, the most fun you can have in the woods is a stock ish Cherokee with cut fenders and the tallest, skinny, light tire you can find (think 34x10.5)... You may end up putting an 8.8 or 44 in the rear and you'll have no straight body panels left eventually, but a Xj/Zj on 34s will last and you will have more fun than you could possibly imagine. Plus you could drive it to the store with heat and air conditioning

I drove mine up from Pensacola to Choccolocco this weekend to do some snow wheeling. The heat and dry were nice and I am gonna mosey back down this afternoon in it. I had a great time and definitely would not have gone in anything without a top and doors.

Eddyj said:
If you had the chance to go back and start from scratch, what would you start with?

I'd start with a square body 1 ton just to have the driveline.
Now that I have a full tube chassis I'm getting the hankering for a 1 ton YJ with 4 seats for my kiddos to ride with me and drive it a little on the streetz

I'd wish that i never heard of this madness

I gotta say, my buggy never kept me from wheeling in inclement weather, but I'm so glad I built the Comanche to be streetable and heat and dry.

So far, the only thing I would change is the transmission, from th350 to 6l80... basically something with overdrive. She spins a little fast on the road with the 37's, albeit she is a blast to drive between stop lights!

Time for some 39-40 dot tires...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

poolman said:

Mojave heater and have someone make you some sort of soft top.

I have done a bunch of thinking on this one. Having a built Jeep and Buggy now both have to be trailered. I would keep the buggy for harder stuff so the boys would be happy and swap the Jeep for a more comfortable version for me and the wife.
I would like to pick up a Jeep TJ or LJ. I don't want any of the drivetrain. Strip it down only keeping the A/C and heat in the dash.
LS engine, 4 speed auto, econo box/Ford 205. 05-up HP60, 14 bolt. Coilovers, swaybar. Build the cage to be very close to stock so a hardtop of frameless softop would fit, half door with soft uppers.
Steering would be a tough decision full hydro or assist? Probably assist and enjoy street diving more. 39 reds and a set of dot's for the street.

I'm trying to build the best all around rig for me, a all tube chassis with a samurai tin top body, bad cold weather, I can stick the doors on it and turn the heater on, 4 speed transfer case for gearing from anything from crawling to running 60 down the highway.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk