• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dodge clutch?

Maverick26

As iron sharpens iron...
Im gonna need a new clutch for the dodge SOON, I know Southbend is kinda the go to and also Valair. So many different options tho. I have the NV5600 in my 2005 Ram 2500 HO. I am not sure what clutch is in it now. And I really dont know how much HP the truck is making either. It is tuned with a Diablo sport tuner on 50hp tow mode (crap tuner), 60hp injectors, AFE intake and exhaust. The truck rips but the clutch cant hold it in 4th, 5th and 6th now if I push on my right foot with no trailer. Kinda scared to haul anything right now. Just been DDing the truck and taking it easy.

I was looking at the Southbend 1947-O as just a replacement but im not sure if its enough clutch for the truck if I want to tow something. If I jump up to the HD I will need a new fly wheel I think and that gets spendy.

So many options and they all seem to say good for towing and moderatley increased HP. I kinda want to get off cheap but I dont want to do it wrong either. I dont tow much anymore since I sold my big trailer and my buggy is not finished. If I do tow its always less then 10k lbs.

Are there any other good options for a replacement clutch?

ive used the southbend before..awsome..i would say to call southbend directly and they will advise on what clutch you need..

idealy, id do a street double disc and never worry about it again.
if your on a buget, an ofe will do it, but wouldnt be as tow friendly...

Diesel Outfitters
19108 Smokey Point Blvd.
Arlington, WA 98223

(360) 386-9608

I put the southbend 13'' convertion in a 06 dulley and he loves it... Like shane said call southbend great customer service that's what I did..

my auto repair shop is a southbend retailer and installer. NEVER across several motorsports and daily drivers have we had one return or let alone an issue.

i dont remember what model number i have but i HATE my southbend clutch. but it was free so i cant complain to much. i dont think they even make mine anymore though. its full grab as soon as you barely let the clutch out. but its tougher than nails, i have a fair amount of upgrades and have done many many burnouts and railed on that clutch pretty good and its never even felt like slipping.

my auto repair shop is a southbend retailer and installer. NEVER across several motorsports and daily drivers have we had one return or let alone an issue.

It's funny you say that, saw my first southbend failure this summer. Granted it was straight out abuse/not knowing how to drive. Truck is a '99 24v cummins, intake/exhaust no tuner/chip bs even. Came in failing to release, pulled it apart and all the damper springs were popped out of the disk (obviously constantly lugging the truck). Disk and flywheel looked great wear wise aside from the shrapnel damage. Of course same guy came back two months later with the NAPA ceramic clutch I installed completely smoked because he couldn't keep his foot off the clutch pedal, took out the flywheel, pressure plate and input shaft in a whole 2 months.

i dont remember what model number i have but i HATE my southbend clutch. but it was free so i cant complain to much. i dont think they even make mine anymore though. its full grab as soon as you barely let the clutch out. but its tougher than nails, i have a fair amount of upgrades and have done many many burnouts and railed on that clutch pretty good and its never even felt like slipping.

It's an FE

sounds like the clutch in the 97 i just bought...its a grabby bitch! i dislike it already

Yea, the one in his truck came from me. It was grabby but tolerable. Reverse with a trailer was a joke though. For some reason I had two in my truck, lol. I think I gave the other one to Fullywrecked. It was either that one or the OFE, which was much more user friendly. I bought the 3250 DD. Sounded like the best of both worlds. Smooth and could still handle some good power. But I sold it before I got the chance to try it out. Bought an auto instead.

sounds like the clutch in the 97 i just bought...its a grabby bitch! i dislike it already

it was like that since it was put in, its the only reason i dont like driving my truck anymore. my truck just sits now because of that clutch unless i have to use it.

Yea, the one in his truck came from me. It was grabby but tolerable. Reverse with a trailer was a joke though. For some reason I had two in my truck, lol. I think I gave the other one to Fullywrecked. It was either that one or the OFE, which was much more user friendly. I bought the 3250 DD. Sounded like the best of both worlds. Smooth and could still handle some good power. But I sold it before I got the chance to try it out. Bought an auto instead.

oh hey if you want to go back to a manual ill trade you for your auto :redneck: straight across, clutch and all lol.

I had the same clutch in my 97' and absolutely hated how it backed up with a trailer it was a total joke, but that ****er never slipped once:cool:

I had the same clutch in my 97' and absolutely hated how it backed up with a trailer it was a total joke, but that ****er never slipped once:cool:

I had one of em billowing smoke while playing in the mud. 4th gear and hard on the throttle. It was soft for a few days. Then felt like normal and never slipped again in mine or Fullywrecked's truck.

Last edited:
I ended up going with the 3250 also, killer clutch. Handles what me and my motor put it thru and has had no issues in the 3000 miles I got on it now. 2200 of that is towing. I dont even mind the little bit of noise it makes, it is smooth on the pedal and easy to drive.