• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dodge Computer Issues

nick c

Lewis & Clark bitches!
My uncle and family are currently towing down to Glamis Dunes (Arizona), and my cousin sent me a text saying that the ECM in the truck is acting up.

Its a 1999 24v Cummins truck with an auto. I haven't gotten much info about what it's doing specifically but he's a career auto-tech, so he's been able to keep it on the road and he thinks he can make it back home (Southern Oregon) when they are done with their trip but in the off chance he can't I'm looking for a computer I can send down to them, they have property that they stay at not far from the dunes so I have a place to ship it just not sure where the best place to go to get a replacement.

I'm not sure what all he's done to the truck, I know its your typical modified 24v though. What info would I need from him to get the right computer to send down. They are in and out of cell service so I'm just looking for the right questions to ask when I get to talk to them again.

Last edited:
Why does he assume it's the ecm? Get some more info as to what exactly it's doing and what is done to the truck. Exact parts. I will try to locate one in the mean time.

Apparently 98 and 99 ecms are a bit weak and 02 ecm's are junk. So if you can find an 00-01 it would be best. I can get it programmed for a 99.

Thanks Jeff. He said that he'd call me tomorrow, they made it to their property and they all wanted to get a day of riding in before he even worried about the truck. They are down there for the entire week.

Apparently 98 and 99 ecms are a bit weak and 02 ecm's are junk. So if you can find an 00-01 it would be best. I can get it programmed for a 99.

More info on this please. I have an 02 that just rolled over 200k that is bone stock, I'm not saying I won't have a problem, just want to know what to look out for.

More info on this please. I have an 02 that just rolled over 200k that is bone stock, I'm not saying I won't have a problem, just want to know what to look out for.

I guess the chip inside is just weaker. They cut back on a lot of stuff for the 02's. Just can't believe they would go that far. Not much you can do other then reprogramming an older ecm. But I don't think I'd mess with it if everything is working fine.

How much can you get a smarty for?

Better question is, what do you want out of your truck? A little better performance/economy etc. Or do you want a bit more? The SMARTY on a VP truck will definitely make it a better performer. But if you want a considerable amount more. You need a box that taps into the pump wire. A lot of people don't like doing that though.

Better question is, what do you want out of your truck? A little better performance/economy etc. Or do you want a bit more? The SMARTY on a VP truck will definitely make it a better performer. But if you want a considerable amount more. You need a box that taps into the pump wire. A lot of people don't like doing that though.

I have an edge hooked up to it now. Not tapped into the pump though. That made quite a difference. I'd like to get some more power, adjust my torque converter lock-up and re calibrate my speedo.

If you tap the pump with that edge and add a SMARTY, you'd have just about all you can for programming. After that, it's injector/Turbo time.

That's a loaded question. Way too many variables. Size and brand. box + programmer or just the box? Stock Turbo? Tranny mods? Heat becomes a very big issue. What do you want out of the truck? Most people are very happy at 350 - 400 rwhp. Less chance of breaking, tows whatever you want up a grade at posted speeds or better. No heat issues if done properly etc etc. If you want performance, then it starts to get expensive.

Latest posts