• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

dodge or ford diesel ?

lilyota

which is better and why looking at getting one in the future, Also which is the better ford engine 7.3 or 6.0

Test drive them both. Dont even bother with the ford 6.0 they are worthless pieces of ****.

I personally love my 02 ford with 7.3, but dodge guys will have their different opinion.

which is better and why looking at getting one in the future, Also which is the better ford engine 7.3 or 6.0

It's a matter of opinion and you're not going to get a unbiased opinion here.
MY DODGE ! MY DODGE! MY DODGE! MY DODGE! MY DODGE!..........
:011: DUDE IT'S A CUMMINS!!!!:011: :beatdeadhorse: :rolleyes:

And 7.3 over 6.0 hands down.

I am a chrysler corp. girl hmmmm... 07 Jk, 04 dakota in drive way and have no need for a diesel but i would go with a dodge 3500 4x4 quad cab

I drive a 01 F250 CC 7.3L PSD. I hopped it up of course and the thing is cranking out something near 750 lb.ft. of torque and, more importantly, lots of black smoke on command. I wasn't interested in a 6.0L because of the torrent of problems I heard they continue to have. You'd be hard pressed to find someone call the 7.3L a shitty engine. Though it's not as advanced or as capable of huge power output like the Duramax or Cummins, it was nonetheless a very good engine during its day and is very reliable if you keep it under 400 hp/800 lb.ft.

The Cummins 5.9L diesel engine is definitely the superior engine compared to the International 7.3L or 6.0L. However, I've always been disappointed with Dodge's build quality. IMO, the perfect truck would be a Ford Super Duty with a Cummins 5.9L 12v in it.

To sum it up, stay away from the 6.0L. The Cummins 5.9L is better than the IH 7.3L, but only because it can make more power if hopped up and sounds way cooler doing it. Comparing general reliability between the two would be splitting hairs though.

This has to be one of the better posts I've seen in regards to the argument between brands :cool:

I drive a 01 F250 CC 7.3L PSD. I hopped it up of course and the thing is cranking out something near 750 lb.ft. of torque and, more importantly, lots of black smoke on command. I wasn't interested in a 6.0L because of the torrent of problems I heard they continue to have. You'd be hard pressed to find someone call the 7.3L a shitty engine. Though it's not as advanced or as capable of huge power output like the Duramax or Cummins, it was nonetheless a very good engine during its day and is very reliable if you keep it under 400 hp/800 lb.ft.

The Cummins 5.9L diesel engine is definitely the superior engine compared to the International 7.3L or 6.0L. However, I've always been disappointed with Dodge's build quality. IMO, the perfect truck would be a Ford Super Duty with a Cummins 5.9L 12v in it.

To sum it up, stay away from the 6.0L. The Cummins 5.9L is better than the IH 7.3L, but only because it can make more power if hopped up and sounds way cooler doing it. Comparing general reliability between the two would be splitting hairs though.

I agree here with above. They all have there goods and bads. I like my PSD compared to the Dodge. Thats just because I am all Ford. I feel Ford build a sturdier truck, but dodge has a better engine. Allthough I rode in a duramax cheby and was impressed. Chevy sucks because you will have to lift it a mile to get any taller size tire under it.

You should also address the transmissions of each make. Watch out for stock Ford autos and their manuals. The manuals (not sure about new models) had clutch fork issues. I hear the Dodge NV4500 will lose 5th gear if you pull to much weight. Cheby has that real nice Allison.

Which ever you get make sure it is a one ton crew cab at the least. They are way funner to park in the compact spaces.

It's to bad they don't let you pick what you want (like the big trucks).
Then it would be the cummins for a motor, alison for the trans, and ford crew cab for the body. But then the mega cab came out and I might pick it over the ford cew cab. :corn:

I'd like to hear some thing's about the cat motor some poeple are putting in their rig's I think it's model #3208 or something like that v-8 I beleave...:corn:

It's to bad they don't let you pick what you want (like the big trucks).
Then it would be the cummins for a motor, alison for the trans, and ford crew cab for the body. But then the mega cab came out and I might pick it over the ford cew cab. :corn:

I agree with the above... :awesomework:
sometimes I wish I could on-demand my perfect truck... but I was raised a chrysler girl, or gmc/chevy... so anything ford is lower on the list, out of simply nothing else to do with the whole

'clampetts vs. mccoys'

mentality regarding ford/chevy (id rather push my ... than drive a ...) or in my grandpa's case, he didn't want to push or tow, so he bought dodge/chrysler as a first pic, gmc/chevy as a second...

I agree with the above... :awesomework:
sometimes I wish I could on-demand my perfect truck... but I was raised a chrysler girl, or gmc/chevy... so anything ford is lower on the list, out of simply nothing else to do with the whole

'clampetts vs. mccoys'

mentality regarding ford/chevy (id rather push my ... than drive a ...) or in my grandpa's case, he didn't want to push or tow, so he bought dodge/chrysler as a first pic, gmc/chevy as a second...

BUY A FORD just too pissoff the remaining family members :awesomework: :haha: :haha:

I love my ford 6.0. pulls anything I want.
If you want the ultimate truck IMO buy a Ford chassi,and drop in a cummins with an allyson tranny behind it. Best of all worlds.:redneck:

There should be a hall of fame and this post should be in it! :beer: :beer:

Thanks for all the input although I'm still torn. I like the ford body better and the cummins diesel better looks like I'm screwed unless I want a huge project.

Do the fords last as long as the dodges as far as mileage

So far nothing can touch the longevity of the Cummins. Add a manual trans to that and you have a lifetime truck. IMO.

Aint that the truth...problem is the Dodge body would litterally end up falling off the frame. I guess that'd be the perfect time to drop a SD body on it. :redneck:

I'm glad a few of you appreciated my 2 cents.

lilyota: I prioritized what was most important to me. I had to have a crew cab with a diesel under $18k. That left Dodge out due to the price range of their crew cabs that didn't debut until 2006. They forgot how to make crew cab trucks for about 12 years I think. Chevy wasn't an option for me because of the homosexual IFS suspension and there was no way in hell is I was going to buy anything with a 6.2L or 6.5L diesel in it.