• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

dodge or ford diesel ?

Buy a Ford Super Duty......they must be good becasue everyone else drives them.

Seriously, the cummins will out last the truck, but the ford will never run long enough for it to happen....unless you put a cummins in it.
I have had 4 cummins trucks well over 200k and never had any major failures or other problems. The Ford guys will tell you they are not as good of truck, but they have prob. never owned a Dodge Cummins. I know of quite a few over 400k and a few over 600k..............try that with any of the other brands.:beer:

dodge, cause i work with diesels every day. they are cheaper to build by far and way more reliable. its a proven fact. just the other day we had a dodge in that had 400,000 miles on it and hasnt had any major problems with it. regular oil/fuel filter changes and a bad ass truck to start with is how you do that. find me any ford out there that can say that....

There are 7.3's out there with half a million trouble free miles and beyond....The cummins is a great motor that will last just as long, but it's pullin a rickshaw. Chevy/GMC is pointless with their frontends....(Can ya tell if it's 4x4 or 4x2 without lookin at the stickers?)

My ideal truck was a 1997 F-350 PSD....I got an auto trans knowing I will have to replace it.... Yep...modding a cummins is cheaper, but my ford was half the price I woulda had to pay for an equal dodge just because it has a cummins...Yeah, the motor will outlast the truck.....what good does that do me?

My brother has a (03ish?) F550 w/ the 6.0... no engine trouble at all, gobs of power, ate the auto tranny at 24,000 miles, and no warranty because he was over the 36 months.

He also has a Cummins in a 04 3500 1 ton crew cab... no engine trouble at all, but ate 1 turbo and **** out an intercooler, which Dodge would not warranty because he was 300 or so miles over the warranty limitation on the intercooler.

He also used to have a F550 w/ the 6.0 and a 6spd, lifted on 40" Continentals with all of the fancy Edge stuff on it. Stock gears in the 550 are 4.88's... but w/ the 40's you could roast the tires thru 3rd no problem, no engine trouble ever, no tranny trouble, power for days, but sure rode like **** and broke lots of hubs.

I also have a friend w/ a Duramax w/ the Allison and a 100hp programer w/ a set of 35's. He has "limped" that pile of **** Allison 3 or 4 times now. Truck rides and drives great, with great power, but I am not at all impressed with the tranny.

Test drive them both. Dont even bother with the ford 6.0 they are worthless pieces of ****.

I personally love my 02 ford with 7.3, but dodge guys will have their different opinion.

I would have to agree, I love my 7.3, it is nearing 200k, and is still running strong. I put 1k on it every week.

but my ford was half the price I woulda had to pay for an equal dodge just because it has a cummins...Yeah, the motor will outlast the truck.....what good does that do me?

hell i payed just over 20k for my 03 dodge 2 years ago.....

buy a dodge.

you see guys swaping the cummins into fords but have you ever heard of some one wanting to put a 6.0 in anyting other than the dumpster?

Nobody will ever agree...

So, I don't have a diesel, but my family has. My grandfather has had a '96 Dodge Ram 3500 extended cab 4x4 dually. It now has over 200k on it, and has seen some rough stuff in its day, including light commercial work, pulling a lowboy with equipment on it.

I need to post pics someday of my grandpas place. He lives in Cashmere about 9 miles outside of town, 3100' elevation, and his driveway climbs 1000' in one mile. Hubs are in probably 6 months of the year. It has given almost flawless service, including pulling a 22k horsetrailer/5th wheel around everywhere. The only things to really show bad wear are the auto tranny (typical) and the frontend (always turning...yuk,) The tranny blew about a month after adding a banks system. Motor is still ridiculous with power. It will pull the whole she-bang up his hill, sometimes with snow, at idle. He now has an '05 that makes the old one seem gutless!

I also know people who have had good luck with their Fords, but also some bad stories. They seem to need all of the annoying stuff done to them. A family friend of mine boasts about the 200k he has on his, but doesn't really say much of the extensive glow plug, turbo, and injector replacements since day ONE. I know of a few Fords that have caught fire, or at least "smoked", in their day. :;

But, I would rather have a 7.3L than a 460 anyday.

Wish I knew more about the Chevys, but I trust Chevys' overall build quality. I don't, however, trust a wimpy-looking IFS:puke: frontend on a supposed 1 ton...

My .03 :corn:

Buy a 7.3 Ford 2001 or 2002 (better trannies). They will last just as long as a dodge. It all really depend on what kinda care you give them. The PSD is way better lookin and will stay to gether.

i have a 00 ford 7.3 but i want a CTD better milage and a better motor.... but do'nt waste your time with the ford 6.0

Buy a 7.3 Ford 2001 or 2002 (better trannies). They will last just as long as a dodge. It all really depend on what kinda care you give them. The PSD is way better lookin and will stay to gether.

I am not so sure that I would not count on the powdered metal connecting rods used in the 7.3 PSD during those years to last just as long as a Cummins, especially if the motor has been turned up.

I think that Ford builds a bit sturdier chassis (frame and body) that Dodge, but not enough to overcome the weaker, more problematic PSD.

Which is better looking is purely subjective. Note that the Superdutys that Ford fans rave about have taken obvious styling cues from the 2nd Gen Dodge Rams.

I have a 99 7.3l ford. Love the truck. It has some upgrades, built tranny, intercooler, chip, upgraded turbo housing, ect. Truck drives and pulls great. but the one thing i don't like about it is the turning radius, it just plain sucks. Dodge has a way better turning radius. If you want something to mod then go with the cummins it can handle gobs of power. the 7.3 over 400hp you have to start upgrading alot of things and it gets expensive. what ever you do stay away from the 6.0 psd though.

i drive a duramax. i have no complaits about anything.

ive been in cummins, have no complaints about them

been in the fords.....im just not a fan

its all personal prefernece. go drive them all, thats what i did and you'll know what you like:awesomework:

I have a 99 7.3l ford. Love the truck. It has some upgrades, built tranny, intercooler, chip, upgraded turbo housing, ect. Truck drives and pulls great. but the one thing i don't like about it is the turning radius, it just plain sucks. Dodge has a way better turning radius. If you want something to mod then go with the cummins it can handle gobs of power. the 7.3 over 400hp you have to start upgrading alot of things and it gets expensive. what ever you do stay away from the 6.0 psd though.

No kiddin on the sucky turning radius :rolleyes: