• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dodge questions

crash2

-Oh no I picked a side-
So for you dodge cummins guys.

What kinda milage are they typically geting out of a motor thats been somewhat taken care of? I found one thats in my price range but it has like 240k on the motor (and know nothing beyond that). What kinda problems do you see on those motors on higher milage?

if its a 12 valve, just watch out for the KDP like what happend to Bunks.....other then that, I dunno.....c'mon dodge boys :kiss:

I saw another ad for that truck on AutoTrader saying that it has an automatic transmission. That would be my biggest concern with that truck and in any purchasing decision I would likely include a budget to have the transmission rebuilt or replaced with an NV4500.

Been doing some research on second gen 12v CTD 4x4s myself. The killer dowel pin seems to be the biggest issue. Make sure it has been done or plan on doing it. There is a bunch of other small, relatively inexpensive stuff that may or may not need attention as well. Starter contacts, fuel lines, fuel shutoff solenoid system, etc.

Another big issue with these trucks is the steering system. Expect the track bar to need rebuilding or replacing along with the tie rod ends and possibly the ball joints and unit bearings.

Boomer said:
I saw another ad for that truck on AutoTrader saying that it has an automatic transmission. That would be my biggest concern with that truck and in any purchasing decision I would likely include a budget to have the transmission rebuilt or replaced with an NV4500.

Been doing some research on second gen 12v CTD 4x4s myself. The killer dowel pin seems to be the biggest issue. Make sure it has been done or plan on doing it. There is a bunch of other small, relatively inexpensive stuff that may or may not need attention as well. Starter contacts, fuel lines, fuel shutoff solenoid system, etc.

Another big issue with these trucks is the steering system. Expect the track bar to need rebuilding or replacing along with the tie rod ends and possibly the ball joints and unit bearings.

Hmmm. maybe I ned to email him again (emailed and asked if it was a longbed or not).

The dowel pin doesn't sound like a big deal and there is also the 5th gear nut issue.

As for suspension stuff---thats easy stuff. Its the motor/body that I care about...

Mine has 241k on it...the motor itself should be fine. It's all the other maintenance type stuff that will be causing you issues.

That truck you posted Mike is also only a 3/4 ton. As Jake has found out, 3/4 ton truck + Camper + trailer + ORV almost if not exceeds the laod/tow rating on the frame.

I have been exceeding for the last 3 years :D unless the dodge frame is weaker than a 74 chev frame :D

3/4 ton and one tons (for second gen) are the same. Only difference is the axle widths. Even the springs are the same. If it's an auto it'll run ya atleast 33-3500 to have it rebuilt by a good shop. You'll want to fab up your own track bar.. But I don't see you having an issue with that :redneck: . I've never really seen mpg just drop off with higher mileage. If I could ever keep my foot out of it I'd tell ya what I usually get.

crash said:
Thanks for the info jeff....

FUnny, I just called at my buddys lot, and they have a '96 ex cab long bed w/ 240k on it....

Uh oh, looks like I might be havin' a tow rig sooner then I thought :cheer:

Kelly said:
FUnny, I just called at my buddys lot, and they have a '96 ex cab long bed w/ 240k on it....

Uh oh, looks like I might be havin' a tow rig sooner then I thought :cheer:

manual or auto

If it's the truck I think it is, he used to live right down the road from me....he was kinda weird. Just come into work and wonder around and ask the same stupid questions. Eat up an hour or more sometimes:mad:

I'll tell ya the issues with mine as they are pretty standard for the 12v's. KDP, easy fix just takes time and a special socket to take the balancer off. 5th gear nut. weld it on. The paint flies off the top of the entire rig..Primer worked too good and paint didnt adhere. The worst one, right front corner of the engine has a weak spot on the head gasket so it seeps out, Trevor knows this one. Mine let go a few months ago so ive started a pdr cylinder head fund..interior quality isnt the best(shakes/rattles) but i bought it for the towing ability.

Toyotanut said:
If it's the truck I think it is, he used to live right down the road from me....he was kinda weird.

Yeah, and now he lives like a mile from my house. I've seen a white 2wd 24V in his drive way the last month or so

Bunk said:
I'll tell ya the issues with mine as they are pretty standard for the 12v's. KDP, easy fix just takes time and a special socket to take the balancer off. 5th gear nut. weld it on. The paint flies off the top of the entire rig..Primer worked too good and paint didnt adhere. The worst one, right front corner of the engine has a weak spot on the head gasket so it seeps out, Trevor knows this one. Mine let go a few months ago so ive started a pdr cylinder head fund..interior quality isnt the best(shakes/rattles) but i bought it for the towing ability.
what special socket are you talking about? I just tore mine apart and never had to use any special sockets.

Oh and Crash. don't do anything with 5th gear untill it lets go. Don't worry it won't hurt anything, you just lose 5th. Plus it just may never let go.. some were put together differently then others from the factory. I'd be happy to help ya with the KDP when the time comes.. Wish I could help Bunk with his GSK :sad: