• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Double ended ram limitation.

Horus

I have a PSC double ended ram for my Grand Cherokee. Knowing I have a one ton front axle in my near future I purchased the 8 inch stroke ram. I need to limit the thing down to like 5.5 inches of stroke to work with my current setup.

Can I limit an 8 inch stroke ram to 5.5 inches and still have accepted steering? Not sure how a ram ram designed for 8 inch stroke will work limited down that far. It would be a PITA to rework the system for a 6 at this point. Thoughts?

Thanks.

Limiting the ram down to 5.5" is no big deal. Your system geometry only needing 5.5" could be a big deal and may not work for ****.

i had them put in a stop for mine at 6 inches 3 each way for my my toyota. i took out the steering stops on the knuckle for another 1/2 inch and it works perfect..

Limiting the ram down to 5.5" is no big deal. Your system geometry only needing 5.5" could be a big deal and may not work for ****.

How so? This is what I am asking. If a system is designed to give X amount of wheel turns lock to lock with an 8 inch ram, I imagine it will yield far less limited down to 5.5 inches of stroke. So maybe the rig will be touchy at speed?

I know how to internally limit a ram. Usually people are only limiting them half an inch to an inch each side. FWIW this is the PSC double ended 8 inch stroke ram for fully hydraulic steering.

I limited my 10" down 1.5 each side with no changes in steering at speed, what It did do is increase power of the ram to return from full lock under load.

It will quicken it up and might make it twitchy.

Why not get longer Hysteer arms for the 44 and keep both axles the same geometry?

Thanks MrBlue, that is what I was hoping to hear.

Why not get longer Hysteer arms for the 44 and keep both axles the same geometry?

I can't find anyone making a longer driver side 44 arm. This setup should work alright.

The ram is getting limited 1.85 per side! We'll see.

Dean at Bent metal can make ya one longer if ya decide to do that.

I would think the shorter arms would make the leverage weaker.

Shorter - quicker and weaker steering.

Longer = slower stronger steering.

How so? This is what I am asking. If a system is designed to give X amount of wheel turns lock to lock with an 8 inch ram, I imagine it will yield far less limited down to 5.5 inches of stroke. So maybe the rig will be touchy at speed?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this part.
If a system is designed to give X amount of wheel turns lock to lock with an 8 inch ram
You should think of the hydraulic system as having a leverage. The longer the stroke used the more leverage it will have and as others said the shorter stroke will be quicker. When I say "may not work for ****" I mean it may not have enough leverage and may not give the power assist you want. There are many other variables though so it's impossible for us to say given what we know from this thread.

If it is too twitchy at speed (rpm related) use a bigger pully.... Been doin this for U4 go fast