• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

double ended vs. single ended steering ram

bbounds

I know that this has been discussed, but can't find the thread. I am starting a buggy build and I am looking for ways to shave a few $$ where I can that won't damper my performance. The double ended look a lot cooler but I am looking for what is needed. I see a lot of these full tube buggies running single ended rams, is there a reason? Because I know it's not the $ on some of them.

bbounds said:
I know that this has been discussed, but can't find the thread. I am starting a buggy build and I am looking for ways to shave a few $$ where I can that won't damper my performance. The double ended look a lot cooler but I am looking for what is needed. I see a lot of these full tube buggies running single ended rams, is there a reason? Because I know it's not the $ on some of them.

I used single on my rig because of weight, and the all skid plate protection you have to build around them. It looks silly to me, and isnt necessary. The single ended set up works great on my rig with 2.5 ton rocks and 43" stickies. My rubicon has double ended set up and it doesnt seem any better than the single.

also on a single ended ram you have less joints to fail

you can attach the SE ram with 1" grade 8 bolts instead of hiems like a double ended then you can run a much larger tie rod and as large of hiem joints as you want

:driving:

Been running double ended ram on my buggy since it was built and have had zero problems so far. I think the orbital and pump are more important than the ram. Also getting a system that is matched and not pieced together makes a big difference.

My CJ7 came with a TSC single ended ram and I never had any issues once I upgraded the previous owners cluster for steering arm and tie rod setup. Like Cole said, the orbital and pump were more important than the ram. My pump went out twice in five years, ram and orbital were in great shape though.

I've seen fewer breaks in single ended ram setup than I have in double ended setups. As long as you carry some spare parts or can rig something up then you can still get off the trail easily.

Thanks for the input. I plan on doing Psc stuff just was not sure if I wanted to fork out the extra for the double ended stuff.

Single all the way!

If you smash it into a rock the tie rod just bends and you keep wheeling and fix it later.

Smash that double ended setup into a rock and you headed for hours on hours of recovery time and a leaking junked ram.

my .02 :dblthumb: