• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Eaton E-locker

bobracing

Anybody run one of these?
Thinking of using them but can't really find anybody but mag that have used them.
any problem? soleniods? switch? locker it's self?
Are they instant engage, or does the wheel have to turn 1/2? 1/4?

Just general if you liked them or not.

My brother-inlaw runs one up front, he's prob had it in about a year with no complaints at all. You have to be stoped to engage them and from what he says it sounds to me like they lock up right away

My buddy has one in his 8.8. He likes it. I've been riding in his junk and he just flicks the switch under power and it seems to lock pretty instantly...

I have seen it slip a couple of times when he first put it in, but not since.

This won't help much I suppose... But that and the ARB are the only two selectable lockers I would run at this point.

All others have some sort of :rb: diff cover, which is a deal breaker for me. The Detroit selectable isn't even a full on locker, so that one's right out.

I have heard only good things about the Eaton. I would be willing to take a chance on it, because I would prefer electric over air.

Thanks for the input.

I'm leaning this way because it make for a less complicated air system and wires are much easier to repair than airline.

Did find a thread on PBB about and haven't seen anything bad about them yet, guess I'll give them a try.

Also with Crusty on the diff cover and eletric motors, just doesn't seem like a good idea having extra "parts" hanging out.

bobracing said:
Also with Crusty on the diff cover and eletric motors, just doesn't seem like a good idea having extra "parts" hanging out.
Exactly... Just another expensive part to get smashed on a rock.

There is A LOT of confusion between the lockers.

The Eaton E-Locker is open or closed. Uses electo magnet to engage "pins", similar to air for an air locker.

Electrac (or something similar) is a LS and uses an electric motor and shift fork to engage the locker. This would be similar to OX except with a motor instead of a cable.

Could be wrong but believe this is how the lockers work.

This is also one reason I narrowed it down to ARB and Eaton, they are both internal operating systems, nothing hanging off the cover. I've seen/used ARBs and know they're strong but had seen very little to nothing on the Eaton. From everything I could find the Eaton works good, but just couldn't find much info except old articles. Eaton's have been out for a while and was hoping someone had some personal experience with them.

did finally find something on PBB but not being a paying member the search funtion doesn't work right now.

besides, it's the warm fuzzy feeling (think that what it is) from people that like Dicks.

bobracing said:
Electrac (or something similar) is a LS and uses an electric motor and shift fork to engage the locker. This would be similar to OX except with a motor instead of a cable.
The Electrac is not a positive locker. As I understand it, it just tightens the slip clutches down hard, but they are still able to slip under hard torque. Useless for rocks.....

CrustyJeep said:
The Electrac is not a positive locker. As I understand it, it just tightens the slip clutches down hard, but they are still able to slip under hard torque. Useless for rocks.....

You understand it wrong. There are no clutches in the electrac.

CrustyJeep said:

The Electrac is a limited slip AND full locker. As a limited slip, it uses gears like a Truetrack, but when actuated, a rod slides a collar locking the gears to the case side. Fully locked. Ran one successfully in my dana 44 with good results. When I upgraded to my 60, switched out to a KeepItSimpleStupid and ran a Detroit Locker instead.