• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Electric conversion crawler build

I'd be surprised if the electric pump from a volvo (or any other passenger car) is sufficient for a crawler, especially working it hard in a rock garden.

The wire size on the pump tells a big part of the story.
It takes a lot of HP to make the pressure & flow necessary to row a set of 40"+ tires back and forth bombing a hill, or turn a tire jammed against a rock.

I imagine the pump has to run all the time for full hydro, it seems pretty unlikely you would have adequate steering response with the pump cycling on and off. There would be little restriction through the orbital valve back to the reservoir when you werent actively turning so it wouldnt be under load until you needed it.

It either takes alot of power or alot of leverage to turn 40's in a rock garden. I could see how an electric pump could be beneficial in a crawler since it can supply max power and speed at idle unlike an engine driven pump. The smaller pump displacement may make it a no go for high speed stuff though.

I'll try to get a good battery on it tonight and do a video with amps and voltage. Probably few more weeks before I can get it in the rocks.

Not a very good video but it might answer some of the questions about the Volvo pump. Amps were about 6 not turning the wheel, 30s while turning, and holding it full lock mid 80s.

That was definately a helpful video, how fast can you turn the wheel with that setup? I know thats a tough question because how fast is fast enough and all, but is it fast enough to keep up when you turn quickly like you would to avoid hitting a tree/obstacle?

That was definately a helpful video, how fast can you turn the wheel with that setup? I know thats a tough question because how fast is fast enough and all, but is it fast enough to keep up when you turn quickly like you would to avoid hitting a tree/obstacle?
I won't know until I get it out on some trails. The orbital is 2 turns lock to lock so the steering wheel won't turn real quick like it would with a orbital that is 4 turns lock to lock.

Just noticed at the end of the video the volts were dropping into the 11s. With voltage up around 13 the pump should spin faster and pull fewer amps.

I'm just curious and this may have been covered already. But what is your background? Electrician? Electrical engineer? Hobbyist?
Mainly I ask because MOST mechanics run from wiring and electrical as fast as they possibly can. I started doing systems and remote starts before I ever really started doing anything mechanical and to this day I'm still more comfortable doing electrical work.

I'm just curious and this may have been covered already. But what is your background? Electrician? Electrical engineer? Hobbyist?
Mainly I ask because MOST mechanics run from wiring and electrical as fast as they possibly can. I started doing systems and remote starts before I ever really started doing anything mechanical and to this day I'm still more comfortable doing electrical work.
I'm noting anymore, just a factory worker. Was a welder for a long time and did go to school for auto mechanics but never did it for a living

Took it out once for to hours and had motor problems. I think the orbital is too fast ( less than 2 turns lock to lock) so I ordered a slower one from beyond precise. Plan to go again Sunday with a new motor if we don't get rained out.

Took it out once for to hours and had motor problems. I think the orbital is too fast ( less than 2 turns lock to lock) so I ordered a slower one from beyond precise. Plan to go again Sunday with a new motor if we don't get rained out.
Motor problems as in orbital motor or the electric motor or the electric pump motor lol.

Not much. Did take the 200 orbital and put in a 125. With 3 turns instead of 2 it is a lot happier. Bad weather last weekend but plan to hit the local park this coming weekend.

How much did you pay for the battery pack? I have one that had a bad cell, the Volt doesn't like it, but a hobbyist can us it just fine

Latest posts