• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Electric water pump

gdf

ROLL TIDE
Pros and cons to an electric water pump ??..... I seem to have constant failure out of mechanical water pumps.... So I thought of trying an electric.. How ever I would like to hear input from other guys on them before I drop several hundred on a new one !!! Thanks for the help !

If you are having repeat failures w mech pumps I'd suggest figuring out why and fixing the issue...

IMHO elec water pumps belong on dragsters.

I always thought a inline pump would help along with the mech pump. Maybe just to get the air bubbles out if it was mounted under the seat.

I'm with gottagofast, there has to be an underlying reason the mechanical is going bad. If that issue isn't resolved I'd imagine and electric pump wouldn't last much longer.

How is your cooling system set up?

I've got one on the shelf you can try out with to see if you want one before you buy one. Holler :dblthumb:

Different motors different buggies....... I have had multiple people say that with the constant high RPMs they usually change there water pump out yearly.... There is no issue that I'm aware of other than after about 10-12months they start leaking...... I have had failure when they get so hot from steam and blow the back out of them

Ur not running straight water are ya?
They should go 10 plus years without any problem

.... Edit... I fkn hate how autospell turns "ur" into "it" on all the time.

Some yes.... The current motor no...... After speaking to a friend.... I'm going to stay with mechanical..... I better understand why electric over mechanical, but mechanical still best fits my setup !thanks CHASMAN9 !!!!

Always run antifreeze.... It lubricates the seal and prevents rust... Rust contamination will eat up a water pump...

Granted that doesn't 'splain the current one but....

i have csi/crs e pump in my bigblock .
i keep it on all times wired from main power switch
i m running thermostat with bypass hole drilled to it

pros would be:
takes less power
flows well and its not tied to engine rmp
doesnt heat soak engine when you shut engine off.
lets you cool your engine with out running it
if you loose belt you dont loose cooling

CONS:
good ones are pricey
belt routing in some engines

Timjus said:
i have csi/crs e pump in my bigblock .
i keep it on all times wired from main power switch
i m running thermostat with bypass hole drilled to it

pros would be:
takes less power
flows well and its not tied to engine rmp
doesnt heat soak engine when you shut engine off.
lets you cool your engine with out running it
if you loose belt you dont loose cooling

CONS:
good ones are pricey
belt routing in some engines

Agreed,, im running a Meziere, another plus is with the engine not running everything is still cooling, fans, waterpump ect.

rube Goldberg idea here. install a heater core with a small fan on it, and put an ag chemical spray pump in line. that would give the best of both worlds, you would have the cooling capacity of the mechanical pump then in a pinch/engine cool down and electric alternate