Ellensburg rock-crawling event uncertain

Glenn

Monday, April 14, 2008 8:58 PM US/Western

County stonewalls rock crawling event
By MIKE JOHNSTON
senior writer

ELLENSBURG

**** the government.

I wish it was that easy.:booo: ........it's the people......we have alot of say in local government .........I for the life of me don't understand why people don't like to see money come into thier comunity.......I live in Lewis county.......same way here..........nascar track?........**** ......Penske wanted to build one in what the late 80's here, was gonna 4 lane hwy 12 from ethel to I-5.........planning commision shut him down:looser: now this county has fawk all for revenue:mad:

Sounds like they need to research a little on what the sport is , The fact that its confined to a small area and creates little or no dust,verses the thought that you need a large space like washugal for outdoor motorcross. It also has to suck for the local merchants look how much buisness has been brought to Goldendale over the last couple of years its really disappointing to hear this:booo: :booo: :mad: :mad:

Sounds like they need to research a little on what the sport is ,
While I totally agree that if the public (mainly the opponents to this event) really knew what this event was they wouldn't be against it as much... BUT it's not up to them to research our sport. I feel it's up to us to educate them about it.

Don't get me wrong. A few of the opponents did research this on their own and they found some info on the web as well as by contacting Goldendale directly.

The main (IMO) opponent lives about 2-3 miles away over a hill and down the canyon a little ways. I personally do not think she would have had any issues with this event BUT since she has had serious issues with other types of off road events in the past she automatically categorized rock crawling as the same as she has dealt with in the past.

She mentioned that in the past, after the event was over, there were non-event participants coming to the area and "racing" around and causing problems for her. They felt that they could be there because they saw a race there last weekend, etc.

I've personally witnessed this here in the Cle Elum area where dumb arses think that they can still wheel/mud bog up on the Cle Elum ridge and around the coal piles just because it was open several years back. :looser:

Long story short it all comes back to the non-wheeling publics perception of us and our sport.

I wish it was that easy.:booo: ........it's the people......we have alot of say in local government .........I for the life of me don't understand why people don't like to see money come into thier comunity.......I live in Lewis county.......same way here..........nascar track?........**** ......Penske wanted to build one in what the late 80's here, was gonna 4 lane hwy 12 from ethel to I-5.........planning commision shut him down:looser: now this county has fawk all for revenue:mad:

Same thing happened in Arlington a few year's ago..... Fully funded nascar track, yet the community didn't want to deal with 1 or 2 weekend's a year of traffic:rolleyes: lame.

Its too bad--local governtments will benefit from something like this too(not as much as the local bussines's do though).....

I wonder the price of rocky land in Ellensburg.

I'm half serious....... a few events a year, buggies and bikes, might make the mortgage payment. Hmmmmmm:eeek:

Last edited:
I will also add that after in depth conversation with Big in Perris, there will be NO event in washington unless somebody step's up and make's it happen! Period. He is bitter abotu spending money (lot's of it) on a place that was never and never will be legit. The spot I mentioned in Snohomish was a full on property and equipment donated place, but somebody need's to round up people or a person to donate shot-crete or money toward it. Any location that is legit is good for that matter. As far as this year go's it is 99% for sure the washington event is being re located somewhere like Vernal, Ut. As far as I'm concerned that is awesome other than the drive as it is one of the old school places I have not yet made it to.....

Aside from that, in my opinion, the Rich's are not taking the washington event serious enough, Goldendale has alway's been their most profitable event, and it is in BFE, Wa. In my opinion the east side of the mountain's (ellensburg) is stupid too, I bet the farm if they held an event on our side of the mountain's it would draw 10-15k spectator's and probably close to 100 competitor's. There is money in it for everybody, promoter's and investor's, somebody just need's to step up!

I will also add that after in depth conversation with Big in Perris, there will be NO event in washington unless somebody step's up and make's it happen! Period. He is bitter abotu spending money (lot's of it) on a place that was never and never will be legit. The spot I mentioned in Snohomish was a full on property and equipment donated place, but somebody need's to round up people or a person to donate shot-crete or money toward it. Any location that is legit is good for that matter. As far as this year go's it is 99% for sure the washington event is being re located somewhere like Vernal, Ut. As far as I'm concerned that is awesome other than the drive as it is one of the old school places I have not yet made it to.....

Aside from that, in my opinion, the Rich's are not taking the washington event serious enough, Goldendale has alway's been their most profitable event, and it is in BFE, Wa. In my opinion the east side of the mountain's (ellensburg) is stupid too, I bet the farm if they held an event on our side of the mountain's it would draw 10-15k spectator's and probably close to 100 competitor's. There is money in it for everybody, promoter's and investor's, somebody just need's to step up!

Well that sucks--I was told it was still on someplace else..

I have to agree because I am willing to bet 2/3 (if not more) of thje bodies at goldendale are from the west side..

I bet the farm if they held an event on our side of the mountain's it would draw 10-15k spectator's and probably close to 100 competitor's. There is money in it for everybody, promoter's and investor's, somebody just need's to step up!

10-15K the first year, and I bet that number could double in a couple years with the right advertising :;

I kinda talked too Darius about this a couple of month's ago and we were thinking the event center in Everett.
But that can't get going tell next year.This suck's I was hoping to go too Ellinsberg for the werock comp.Didn't go to goldendale because I didn't like the drive and my car get's 26mpg:mad:
Well something need's to be done here!maybe talk to(Steve Davies)the guy that own's the dimond m farm in Monroe??he was the one that owned the property that the core challenge was on both year's
And what about the fair ground's in Monroe I know traffic suck's :booo:

I wonder the price of rocky land in Ellensburg.

I'm half serious....... a few events a year, buggies and bikes, might make the mortgage payment. Hmmmmmm:eeek:

There's not much rocky land in ellensberg and if there were it's not likely you would get a permit to hold a event.

I kinda talked too Darius about this a couple of month's ago and we were thinking the event center in Everett.
But that can't get going tell next year.This suck's I was hoping to go too Ellinsberg for the werock comp.Didn't go to goldendale because I didn't like the drive and my car get's 26mpg:mad:
Well something need's to be done here!maybe talk to(Steve Davies)the guy that own's the dimond m farm in Monroe??he was the one that owned the property that the core challenge was on both year's
And what about the fair ground's in Monroe I know traffic suck's :booo:

The only down side is your talking man made course's--its going to be hard enough to get everything ready using just whats on the ground let alone a place that has nothing...

How many acres to put on a man made event and parking?

10 acres is the number I seem to remember them saying at one time, at least that is what's stuck in my head. It seem's about right though as far as small spectator parking, but around here it would take at least 20 acres to park people at, though they could probably hire a couple community transit busses to truck people in from outside parking, just like you see before after sporting event's and concerts. A full on 12 course comp area only takes about 2 or 3 acres of land at most. another 5 is enough for competitors trailer parking and such, but at most other event's the remaining 2 or 3 acres is plenty spectator parking due to almost no spectator's, but like I say, here in western washington you would see 10 to 15k people at minimum. I side with crash in thinking probably 3k of goldendale's spectator's are making the 4 + hour drive to goldendale just to spectate, imagine if it was in the snohomish or king county area, an hour from anywhere of population..... It would be a worthy payoff in the end.

It is up to the Klein's to deliver.

1. They are the businessmen here in the equation trying to bring a product to market...a new market at that.

2. It is up to the the business men to sell the product to the customers. In this case of the new market, the customers are the local officials. We are their repeat customers...so we don't really count in the sale.

3. The money lost is only hurtful to the business people selling the product. We are not out because we do not have to spend the gas, time, and resources to enjoy their product.

4. No sales plan, no product to sell, no worries.

If there is no local event then, there is no local event.