• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Emergency shutoff switch?

BUCKEYE PERFORMANCE INC.

buckeye performance inc 828-779-2242
I'm wanting to do an emergency kill inside my buggy that both me and my passenger can reach or be obvious to someone running up to shut the rig down if something goes bad. I'm thinking something kinda in the lines of big red button type switch so what are you guys using and a source for such item that isn't gonna take a huge amount of space to install.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

This is my Auto Zone master kill switch.
23697527574_6f821f36f9_b.jpg

ToyotaTom said:
This is my Auto Zone master kill switch.
23697527574_6f821f36f9_b.jpg

I've had very bad luck with cheap switches like that. They tend to short under the rain/water if not protected. Ask me how I know :/

I try to put my kill switches on the center console where anyone inside the cab can reach it.

Make sure you can use the switch even upside down, hanging from the harness. There's nothing worse than roll over and being unable to kill your electrics.

This is what I use.
0ff45e08cd2e2629848ee26d6abb815c.jpg

I have two. One on positive and one on negative. It does take a bit of room behind the panel.

Sent using left thumb.

Re:

The question is do you want an estop or a disconnect? You could use a lower amperage plunger style switch that just kills ign & fuel, and then have another for main disconnect.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I use an inexpensive Marine battery switch mounted at less than an arms reach in between my seats so either myself or passenger can kill it at any time if needed. I use a marine switch so it can get wet without any problems of shorting out. If you use one of the red key style switches, the key can fall out and then you're fumbling trying to put it back in place. thumb.gif

This sorta falls in here so I'll ask and maybe it'll be good info for someone.

I'm about to rewire my 22r based on this: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyota-formula-toy-forum/960861-basic-22r-propane-f-toy-wiring.html

Here's my question/idea.

I could run from the propane solenoid (fuel cut off) through the oil pressure sending unit then to the propane relay. That way if I ever lost oil pressure in the case of a roll over, it would kill the propane relay, cut off fuel, and ultimately the truck. Its good insurance for say, if I roll and something stupid happens where I can hit the kill switch, etc.

Only worried that I'll get on something steep or get sideways in a rut and lose pressure for a second and it kill my truck when I don't need it to.

Input? Or am I over thinking it?

ToyotaTom said:
That is the same diagram that I used when wiring up my 22re propane.

Yeah I'm gonna start on it this week..

I'm ordering the relays and all that from delcity.net today.

Re: Re: Re:

paradisepwoffrd said:
The question is do you want an estop or a disconnect? You could use a lower amperage plunger style switch that just kills ign & fuel, and then have another for main disconnect.

I just want to stop the engine in the event of a rollover.
My ignition is keyed and it's a reach for me so my passenger would ha e to come out of the belts to cut it off
I'd like something that was compact so I could put it in my art carr shifter housing.

BUCKEYE PERFORMANCE INC. said:
I just want to stop the engine in the event of a rollover.
My ignition is keyed and it's a reach for me so my passenger would ha e to come out of the belts to cut it off
I'd like something that was compact so I could put it in my art carr shifter housing.

38 Special uses a normal toggle that trips a large continuous run solenoid on the firewall. But, it is not obvious to someone reaching in the buggy to assist like the one I use in Solo Buggy.

Re:

You could go with something like this:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/221120873442

Wire your ign & fuel pump relay triggers through it.

paradisepwoffrd said:
You could go with something like this:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/221120873442

Wire your ign & fuel pump relay triggers through it.

I just bit the bullet on a couple of those switches to see what works best. I figure at that price I'd get em and see how they work out and if not I'm out a whole $10 for 2 switches.

I wired in a driver tether from a boat to kill the motor and fuel pump, pretty simple setup that seems to be what you are after. I found the ignition wire and fuel pump wire and spliced the switch into them. Once pulled it kills the motor and fuel but still allows the winch to work for self recovery if needed

Latest posts