• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Enclosed trailer questions/opinions

grcthird said:
Don't have enough truck to pull one that big around, and want to spend about half that.

That's cheap for a good size trailer. If your budget is half that stick to a nice open trailer. Unless you get a good buddy discount on a decent older trailer you'll have more problems then what then it's worth.

Rootar said:
That's cheap for a good size trailer. If your budget is half that stick to a nice open trailer. Unless you get a good buddy discount on a decent older trailer you'll have more problems then what then it's worth.
Make sure it's not your brother's buddies system either you can get ripped off that way too....

Stupid question, but when an ad says that the enclosed trailer has say 2 12v interior lights, they operate off of the tow rig running, through the trailer light wiring harness that's plugged into the truck?

A lot have there own battery. But if your truck is wired properly it will charge that battery when hooked up.

Eddyj said:
A lot have there own battery. But if your truck is wired properly it will charge that battery when hooked up.

Just factory 2006 2500hd with tow package and aftermarket brake controller. I did not know that about the stand alone battery system. Cool!

Some times the big terminal in the center of the tow rig plug is a big hot. It's that way for just this purpose. The 12V light will run off tow rig when hooked up running or not. From what I have seen those lights are just enough to where you can kinda see in trailer. They are not much. You will want some 110 fixtures if you are gonna camp in it.

Toddy said:
Some times the big terminal in the center of the tow rig plug is a big hot. It's that way for just this purpose. The 12V light will run off tow rig when hooked up running or not. From what I have seen those lights are just enough to where you can kinda see in trailer. They are not much. You will want some 110 fixtures if you are gonna camp in it.

Oh absolutely, def would put a few 4 ft lights in it. I was just curious. I thought that was the case, but wasn't 100%. I'm sure they are like shitty little dome lights in cars. Still a handy feature though for me, because when I buy, it will likely be a while longer before I buy a generator.

Our small enclosed has interior lights that run off the vehicles lighting system, parking light on the truck have to be on for interior lights to work.

If done properly there are two positve power on your truck. One runs the running lights and the other goes to a battery, which is normally used for emergency "brake away" brakes. A lot of travel trailers just use a large deep cycle battery instead of th little "break away" battery. So you can run accessories like Interior lights, electric jacks, awnings or even the blower on a propane furnace. If one was to want to camp in a trailer in so get month you should look into this set up.
LEDs are perfect for campo g on battery. The ones off of pirate are perfect. I believe his name is bigred something or another. I bought like 50 last year and put them in a travel trailer. Lights for 2 days on a battery. Or through a solar panel on roof then you don't have to worry about maintaining your battery and it's always ready to go.

After this weekend at Choccolocco I'm ready for an enclosed. Even if not camping in it having one would be nice for when you're done wheeling you can park in and have a dry rig in the morning.

You could also run a trickle charger to it when parked for any length of time at the house. My boss wouldn't charge his dump trailer battery worth a crap and it left us screwed a few time.... I just shook my head going trickle charger.

I'm really close to pulling the trigger on an enclosed but have a couple questions.
I am upgrading to 7k axles for sure. The trailer will probably never be over 10-11k lbs. Single rig plus supplies, junk.

Which is the better axle and why for this setup torsion or drop/leaf style?

I understand the torsion style can breakdown over time but I have no direct experience with this. They would allow independent suspension which could make life easier on the trailer.

RV shoreline plugs? I notice the outlets at Hawk Pride are different from Morris Mt. is that a 50 vrs 30 amp. Is there a standard outlet and adapters used to go up or down in amperage?