• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Evans trail closed?

They are definitley big enough for a buggy to play on

Were there any signs stating a closure, or stay out, or stay off? Or any indication that would lead one to believe they were not placed as a "Rock Garden" or obsticle, if not then it would lead me to believe that they are the same as the rock that is piled at the end of the 9 rd, and at the bottom of the Ranier Vista trail. The problem with Evans is that there is no "online" presence as there is with the DNR parks, and things happen up there without the knowledge of the wheeling community, so without signage or an Official FS person stating the reason for big rocks in the middle of a trail then who knows.

Were there any signs stating a closure, or stay out, or stay off? Or any indication that would lead one to believe they were not placed as a "Rock Garden" or obsticle, if not then it would lead me to believe that they are the same as the rock that is piled at the end of the 9 rd, and at the bottom of the Ranier Vista trail. The problem with Evans is that there is no "online" presence as there is with the DNR parks, and things happen up there without the knowledge of the wheeling community, so without signage or an Official FS person stating the reason for big rocks in the middle of a trail then who knows.

I didnt see any trail closed or decomissioned signs. And now that you say that they do look like a pretty sweet rock garden for a rig way more built than mine.

Wasn't something mention (I think Binder did) in refernce to the fact that "its closed unless posted open" ? I seem to recall a conversation regarding that.

Wasn't something mention (I think Binder did) in reference to the fact that "its closed unless posted open" ? I seem to recall a conversation regarding that.

That is the problem, nothing is posted Open or Closed at Evans, which is why there has been so many issues with the userbuilt, 102 is on the ORV map, but is usually closed during winter months as it has had issues with sediment run off over the years, there is a gate on both the top and bottom of that particular trail. There is also a gate at the campground that used to be closed during the winter but was open the last two years.

only been to evans once, but isnt that the trail with all the switchbacks people like to bypass towards the bottom?

That is the problem, nothing is posted Open or Closed at Evans, which is why there has been so many issues with the userbuilt, 102 is on the ORV map, but is usually closed during winter months as it has had issues with sediment run off over the years, there is a gate on both the top and bottom of that particular trail. There is also a gate at the campground that used to be closed during the winter but was open the last two years.

We have discussed the user built to death so I wont bother. A little history lesson on the 102. It was originally built as a one way downhill trail to reduce rutting on the lower end. People abused this rule and so the gates were installed and it became a "seasonal" trail. We spent many work parties hauling in rock and hardening the lower section as well as building a large retaining pond to keep silt from flowing into the creek at the bottom. These mitigations allowed for the seasonal closure to be lifted and thus the gates aren't used anymore. The bypasses at the bottom are simply the work of asshats who have absolutely no regard for our sport or the hard work that goes into maintaining our trails. The gate at the campground isn't closed anymore because of the same kinds of asshats mentioned above. It has been cut open and damaged to many times and way to much money spent repairing it to continue using it. In the new plan it will be going away with that section of road. I believe the hope is with having the new gate down by the main road in plain view that it wont be vandalized as much.

From the looks of what they want to do it seems like it will hepl the area alot. Now with the new set up will rigs still have to be street legal up to the middle area or will they be ok from the lower lot on up?

From the looks of what they want to do it seems like it will hepl the area alot. Now with the new set up will rigs still have to be street legal up to the middle area or will they be ok from the lower lot on up?

The road from the entrance to the campground will still be street legal only. This is the only section of road in the park that you will have to be street legal to use.

The road from the entrance to the campground will still be street legal only. This is the only section of road in the park that you will have to be street legal to use.

Do you see there being a gray-area in the enforcement for "buggies" that want to unload and drive directly onto the 311?

A situation would be: if the main lot is full (for an event, group work party, etc.) and that person is forced to park at the front entrance.

Do you see there being a gray-area in the enforcement for "buggies" that want to unload and drive directly onto the 311?

A situation would be: if the main lot is full (for an event, group work party, etc.) and that person is forced to park at the front entrance.

I really cant see that being a issue. Otherwise they would have to tag all the quads and bikes that unload there so why even have parking and unloading there.

I really cant see that being a issue. Otherwise they would have to tag all the quads and bikes that unload there so why even have parking and unloading there.

Its never really been a big issue but for those who have to unload there and dont want to hit 311 it could become (and has before) an issue.

Its never really been a big issue but for those who have to unload there and dont want to hit 311 it could become (and has before) an issue.

I think the 102 going out of the entrance parking lot will still be open, so those who are not street legal should still be able to up the 311 or down the 102.

Here are some docs from Evans Creek ORV Area Management Plan Environmental Assessment (EA) signed in 2009, just so that everyone can have a quick reference. :D

Found Here
http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/mbs/projects/evans-creek/index.shtml

Decision Notice and Finding of No Significant Impact
http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/mbs/projects/evans-creek/evans_final_ea_dn_fonsi.pdf

Environmental Assessment
http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/mbs/projects/evans-creek/evans_final_ea.pdf

Appendices
http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/mbs/projects/evans-creek/evans_final_ea_appendices.pdf

Campground & Day-Use Concept Plan Drawing
http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/mbs/projects/evans-creek/evans_final_ea_appenidix_l.pdf

Entrance Facility Concept Plan Drawing
http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/mbs/projects/evans-creek/evans_final_ea_appendix_m.pdf